The Pitchers we can trade for....

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: The Pitchers we can trade for....

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:39 pm

davell wrote:
Tim wrote:
davell wrote:Gammons was on Inside the Clubhouse and said that as of Thursday, the Cubs thought they had the framework for a Shelby Miller deal in place. But things fell apart quickly on Atlanta's end for some reason.

I wonder what the deal looked like and if it can be revisited.

He acted like it could be revisited evidently. Just seemed confused by the Braves situation as to why they'd pull him back away quickly like that.

My guess would be that they heard from another team.
Spoiler: show

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Tim wrote:
davell wrote:
Tim wrote:
davell wrote:Gammons was on Inside the Clubhouse and said that as of Thursday, the Cubs thought they had the framework for a Shelby Miller deal in place. But things fell apart quickly on Atlanta's end for some reason.

He acted like it could be revisited evidently. Just seemed confused by the Braves situation as to why they'd pull him back away quickly like that.

If earlier reports that twenty teams contacted the Braves regarding Miller are true, I suspect that there is quite a bit of multi-party discussion going on. I could see the Miller situation dragging on for a while.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Tim wrote:
davell wrote:
Tim wrote:

Cappolella was on the phone with Jed about to make the deal, then he got a call from Dave Stewart on the caller ID and said "Jed, nevermind, gotta go" and picked up Stewart's call and Stewart was like "Listen, about A.J. Pollock" and Cappolella was like "YES? WHAT IS IT!?!" and Stewart was all "You still can't have him *click*"

And then Cappolella was all like

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Is hamels available
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 am

It would be in Washington's best interest to seriously consider dealing Strasburg now. If they wait until July, Strasburg won't be draft pick compensation eligible, which would hurt his value. Plus there's always the legitimate chance he gets hurt again.

I mentioned a Baez for Strasburg deal a while back, and I still feel good about it now. It makes sense from Washington's perspective too, since Desmond leaving opens up a hole at Shortstop. If Strasburg were acquired and Fowler were somehow brought back on a backloaded three year contract, although four years is looking like a probability at this point, I'd feel pretty good about the offseason.
Last edited by StylesClash on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:34 am

StylesClash wrote:It would be in Washington's best interest to seriously consider dealing Strasburg now. If they wait until July, Strasburg won't be draft pick compensation eligible, which would hurt his value. Plus there's always the legitimate chance he gets hurt again.

I mentioned a Baez for Strasburg deal a while back, and I still feel good about it now. It makes sense from Washington's perspective too, since Desmond leaving opens up a hole at Shortstop. If Strasburg were acquired and Fowler were somehow brought back on a backloaded three year contract, although four years is looking like a probability at this point, I'd feel pretty good about the offseason.

6 yrs of Baez for one year of Strasburg? I'll pass

Not that I wouldn't deal him, but he'd need to be included as part of a package in deal for a controllable young starter like Carrasco. Otherwise, I'd rather just buy pitching or use the minor league system to acquire it.

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:40 am

Tedward wrote:
StylesClash wrote:It would be in Washington's best interest to seriously consider dealing Strasburg now. If they wait until July, Strasburg won't be draft pick compensation eligible, which would hurt his value. Plus there's always the legitimate chance he gets hurt again.

Not that I wouldn't deal him, but he'd need to be included as part of a package in deal for a controllable young starter like Carrasco. Otherwise, I'd rather just buy pitching or use the minor league system to acquire it.

Rotoworld has Baez at five years. Five years of boom or bust Baez for one year of Strasburg, who looked great the final two months of the season, isn't anything to sneeze at. Especially considering if Strasburg left we'd get a comp pick in return and Baez leaving doesn't open up a hole on the roster.

Also I'd love a chance at buying low on Cashner. If Almora or McKinney could be turned into Cashner I make the deal in a second.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:02 am

StylesClash wrote:
Tedward wrote:

Rotoworld has Baez at five years. Five years of boom or bust Baez for one year of Strasburg, who looked great the final two months of the season, isn't anything to sneeze at. Especially considering if Strasburg left we'd get a comp pick in return and Baez leaving doesn't open up a hole on the roster.

Also I'd love a chance at buying low on Cashner. If Almora or McKinney could be turned into Cashner I make the deal in a second.

From 11/27

Backtobanks wrote:In today's MLBTR chat:

What is Andrew Cashner worth?

Not all that much. One year and $8 mil or whatever he's projected at. If you really believe in him and think he's going to deliver a good year, then sure, there's excess value there. But it isn't long-term value b/c he'll be a FA.

I mean, he's obviously not a guy who's just sort of worth his contract, but I have a hard time seeing a club parting with a significant prospect asset at this point.

If we can get him without parting with a significant prospect, wouldn't he be a decent addition to our rotation depth?

The guy running the MLBTR chat that day certainly made it sound like we could get Cashner for something less than Almora/McKinney (of course that is his opinion).

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:19 am

StylesClash wrote:
Tedward wrote:

Baez hasn't accrued a full season of service time yet. Cots has him at .89, thus we still have him under control for six years.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:30 am

I'm all for trying to get Strasburg, but it isn't that simple from Washington's side of the equation. They have a replacement for Ian Desmond for next year - Trea Turner. They have some up the middle options (Wilmer Difo). They have rotation options. They have some money to spend. While I do think they would move Strasburg in the right trade, what's the right trade for them?

This is a Washington team with every intent on winning now, and you remove Strasburg from the equation, and it makes it that much harder for them. Suddenly, the rotation goes from intriguing (with Ross/Roark at the end and Cole as a AAA option, with Lopez/Fedde/Giolito in the wings) to fairly pedestrian. They would need a replacement, and while there's still some options in FA, I don't think they want to spend unless they can clear some money off. About their main needs that I can think of would be pen help, OF, and general depth.

Short of it is, I don't think Washington does a Baez for Strasburg trade unless they get something else in return, either more talent or cap relief (in the form of someone taking Werth off), and I think from the Cubs perspective, that would be too much. It just seems like a hard match-up for us unless a 3rd team is involved. Not impossible, but while that was a fun idea that I pondered early, I think it's a tough match-up for us.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:16 pm

it would be smart to trade strasburg before dusty gets ahold of him, but they want to win the division, so it's not happening
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Cubs Fan Dan
Starter

Postby Cubs Fan Dan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Gammons just said the Rays are willing to listen on Archer and Odorizzi.

How about:
Baez, McKinney, Underwood, vogelbach, contreras

Archer, McGee

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Gammons just said the Rays are willing to listen on Archer and Odorizzi.

How about:

Archer, McGee

Gammons needs to retire. They're not trading Archer.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Gammons just said the Rays are willing to listen on Archer and Odorizzi.

How about:

Archer, McGee

have you called out your friend of samardzija yet?

Cubs Fan Dan
Starter

Postby Cubs Fan Dan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:13 pm

David wrote:

How about:

Archer, McGee

have you called out your friend of samardzija yet?

Yea I gave him some crap. I hesitated even posting it. He claims That Jeff told him the Cubs were staying at 3 years, he almost took the deal because his next best offer was from the DBacks for 4/75 mil. Apparently his market picked up heavily Thursday. He wanted to go back to Bosio but couldn't turn down the extra years.... Could be bs could but that's what he said.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 pm

How about:

Archer, McGee

Not even close.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:21 pm

A deal for Archer would almost have to start with Javy and Soler. Maybe even Schwarber and one of them.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:24 pm

I've been intrigued by Odorizzi since the start of the offseason as the 2nd SP addition. If he's truly available for a reasonable price I hope we are in.
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:31 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:it would be smart to trade strasburg before dusty gets ahold of him, but they want to win the division, so it's not happening

Nothing but a random thought, but the team that seems like a great fit for the Nats for Strasburg might be ... the Yankees. I mean, rumors suggest they are shopping Andrew Miller, or at least listening. They've also been talking about Brett Gardner. The Yankees could probably find a way to take back a contract if need be, something like Werth's deal. You put in some additional pieces to make everyone happy (Nationals could offer a young arm to put in the mix, in case Strasburg leaves), and it sounds ... on paper ... doable, provided that the Nationals have enough time to go out in the FA market and find a third starter.

Also wonder about the Dodgers. Perhaps they add Chapman without giving up Urias/Seager. Some sort of deal built around Jensen and/or Puig (Puig seems like the type of high ceiling guy that Rizzo would love to roll the dice on) would seem to make sense, but this feels a bit tougher to matchup with than the Yankees.

Dunno, tough team to figure. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him, but I don't anticipate it being a prospect heavy, "untested" guys type of deal. I also wouldn't be shocked if the Nats listened on Gio Gonzalez. I still say if they can move around enough money, address needs, perhaps move Strasburg, I wouldn't be stunned if they jumped in late on the remaining SP market.

mdwilla
Starter

Postby mdwilla » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:42 am

I said it about Fernandez recentely but Archer is another of the few arms I'll readily give up Soler to get.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:51 am

Jesse Rogers mentioned Gausman as a guy we're interested in.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:20 am

I wouldn't trade Soler (or Schwarber) for Gausman, and I suspect that's what Baltimore would be looking for. Baltimore's already having enough problems with their rotation now that Chen is gone, I think the only way they move Gausman is if it's too good to pass up. Heck, the Wieters coming back part screwed them over enough that they seem to have clearly moved on from Chris Davis, unless the Davis market is less than anticipated (which I doubt).

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:16 pm

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Cubs executive: "We're looking for a starting pitcher, preferably young and with years of control."

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Hmmm...

Hypothetical:

Soler package for Miller or Teheran (and/or others)
Baez package for Odorizzi & McGee (and/or others)
Trade Wood, Hammell, and Montero for salary relief and farm replenishing and/or bench strengthening
Sign Heyward
Sign Span

How plausible is that? Is that even a good use of resources?
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Return to “Transactions”