The Pitchers we can trade for....

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Re: The Pitchers we can trade for....

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:31 pm

Rays have offered Odorizzi an extension. Timing is interesting.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:32 pm

If we're trading both Soler and Baez I'd try to get a better return and package them together and go for it on an established ace, if possible. Gray, Sale Archer, Fernandez... what will these guys cost in addition to Soler+Baez?

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:34 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:If we're trading both Soler and Baez I'd try to get a better return and package them together and go for it on an established ace, if possible. Gray, Sale Archer, Fernandez... what will these guys cost in addition to Soler+Baez?

Schwarber

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:34 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:If we're trading both Soler and Baez I'd try to get a better return and package them together and go for it on an established ace, if possible. Gray, Sale Archer, Fernandez... what will these guys cost in addition to Soler+Baez?

Sale would probably take Kris Bryant, so you can forget about that one.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:58 pm

The Logan wrote:Hmmm...

Hypothetical:

Soler package for Miller or Teheran (and/or others)
Baez package for Odorizzi & McGee (and/or others)
Trade Wood, Hammell, and Montero for salary relief and farm replenishing and/or bench strengthening
Sign Heyward
Sign Span

How plausible is that? Is that even a good use of resources?

You've got too many arms in the rotation. Make the Baez package include Snell & McGee and I can see it if I squint.

But I think I'd rather keep the young bats, trade Montero & Wood (for whatever) to free up room for Heyward. Then I'd go the IFA route to add rotation depth.
Spoiler: show

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:43 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:

Sale would probably take Kris Bryant, so you can forget about that one.

Kris Bryant is already more valuable than Sale by himself.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:05 pm

Hypothetical:

Trade Wood, Hammell, and Montero for salary relief and farm replenishing and/or bench strengthening
Sign Heyward
Sign Span

The home plate ump might tire of being hit by every pitch.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Hypothetical:

Sign Heyward
Sign Span

The home plate ump might tire of being hit by every pitch.

I don't think having David Ross as the only catcher on your roster is a good idea.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:12 pm

um hey guys dont forget about me

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:15 pm

sneakypower wrote:um hey guys dont forget about me

That's an awful lot of protective equipment for a left fielder, but given his propensity for dropping balls it might be prudent.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:49 pm

sneakypower wrote:um hey guys dont forget about me

Doesn't seem fair that Bryant had to wear a dress, and Schwarber just got to wear catcher's gear for rookie hazing.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:54 pm

i mean, [expletive]...teams won lots of games with mike piazza at catcher for years so, meh.

i don't see it happening but it's not like it would bother me.

can't wait for the replies admonishing me for comparing schwarb to a HOFer

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Not sure how well connected Julie Dicaro is.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:16 pm

I'd do either 1 of those guys for Gausman in a 1 for 1 deal. I'd prefer it to be Baez.
Screw Pitchers

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Is that suggesting Soler and Baez or Soler or Baez?

Is Gausman as an elite prospect still a thing? His numbers so far havent been terrible by any means (3.79 career FIP) but not up to his hype level and hes 24
Dare to dream....

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:26 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Is that suggesting Soler and Baez or Soler or Baez?

Is Gausman as an elite prospect still a thing? His numbers so far havent been terrible by any means (3.79 career FIP) but not up to his hype level and hes 24

He still hasn't developed a third pitch. Teach him a Cutter and a splitter and he has top of the rotation potential.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:41 pm

I took it to mean that they like both players I am sure Baltimore doesn't actually think they will get both for Gausman. The more teams that are interested in Baez and Soler the better for the Cubs obviously. So far we have seen Atlanta, Baltimore, and Tampa and maybe Cleveland are all interested in our guys. We should definitely be able to get a good package for one of them.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:53 pm

I take it as one or the other, Baltimore can't develop pitching to save their life so the fact he's put up decent numbers basically on pure stuff/his pedigree while be jerked around I believe there is a lot to tap in to with a competent pitching coach/organization.

Of all the rumored guys available he's probably #2 on my list behind Carrasco. I probaby would rank them in my preference 1. Carrasco 2. Gausman 3. Odorizzi/McGee 4. Miller 5. Ross
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Screw Pitchers

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Out of the rumored pitching, I think I'd go 1)Carrasco 2) Snell/McGee 3) Salazar 4) Odorizzi/McGee 5) Ross 6) Moore/McGee 7) Miller 8) Gausman 9) Teheran 10) Cobb/McGee
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Tryptamine wrote:

He still hasn't developed a third pitch. Teach him a Cutter and a splitter and he has top of the rotation potential.

maybe he has a cutter and isnt' allowed to use it lol

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:15 pm

davell wrote:Out of the rumored pitching, I think I'd go 1)Carrasco 2) Snell/McGee 3) Salazar 4) Odorizzi/McGee 5) Ross 6) Moore/McGee 7) Miller 8) Gausman 9) Teheran 10) Cobb/McGee

1. Carrasco
2. Odorizzi
3. Ross
4. Salazar
5. Teheran
6. Gausman
7. Miller
8. Cobb
9. Cashner

This is barring more elite guys being made available.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm trying to see how the front office is piecing this whole thing together. They're clearly trying to add another mlb pitcher through a trade, which would tell me they intend to then move Hammel to clear salary. There's probably a good chance they're going to move/non-tender Wood since that's an easy way to clear $7M. They're rumored to be offering Montero and his $14M. If they moved all three, that would clear around $30M. That would certainly clear enough to get Heyward, but would create other issues on the team. The pen would probably be fine, but would be pretty short on lefties. The starting pitching depth doesn't really improve. They would either be opening up a hole in the OF if they trade Soler or weakening the bench and becoming very reliant on Castro if they trade Baez. And they'd open up a pretty big hole at catcher unless they're confident Schwarbs is making huge strides this offseason or Contreras is ready to play at the MLB level.

I'm fascinated to see how all this plays out.
Spoiler: show

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:48 pm

Tim wrote:I'm trying to see how the front office is piecing this whole thing together. They're clearly trying to add another mlb pitcher through a trade, which would tell me they intend to then move Hammel to clear salary. There's probably a good chance they're going to move/non-tender Wood since that's an easy way to clear $7M. They're rumored to be offering Montero and his $14M. If they moved all three, that would clear around $30M. That would certainly clear enough to get Heyward, but would create other issues on the team. The pen would probably be fine, but would be pretty short on lefties. The starting pitching depth doesn't really improve. They would either be opening up a hole in the OF if they trade Soler or weakening the bench and becoming very reliant on Castro if they trade Baez. And they'd open up a pretty big hole at catcher unless they're confident Schwarbs is making huge strides this offseason or Contreras is ready to play at the MLB level.

They do seem to be intent on trading for another young pitcher which I am on board with. Combine that with them resigning Trevor Cahill it does seem pretty clear that they are going to try and shed Hammel contract. Trading Wood or non tendering him seems like a good way to go as well. They will probably have to add a bullpen arm if they get rid of Wood but it seems like they are looking for one so I bet once they figure that out Wood is a goner. I don't see Montero being moved because we do seem to lack options if they trade him so unless they can find a reasonably priced catcher that will work for a year or two I see Montero sticking around. Getting rid of Wood and Hammel contract should be enough to make a run at Heyward or Gordon/Span if they end up trading Soler.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 pm

KrisBryantisaBeast wrote:
Tim wrote:I'm trying to see how the front office is piecing this whole thing together. They're clearly trying to add another mlb pitcher through a trade, which would tell me they intend to then move Hammel to clear salary. There's probably a good chance they're going to move/non-tender Wood since that's an easy way to clear $7M. They're rumored to be offering Montero and his $14M. If they moved all three, that would clear around $30M. That would certainly clear enough to get Heyward, but would create other issues on the team. The pen would probably be fine, but would be pretty short on lefties. The starting pitching depth doesn't really improve. They would either be opening up a hole in the OF if they trade Soler or weakening the bench and becoming very reliant on Castro if they trade Baez. And they'd open up a pretty big hole at catcher unless they're confident Schwarbs is making huge strides this offseason or Contreras is ready to play at the MLB level.

They do seem to be intent on trading for another young pitcher which I am on board with. Combine that with them resigning Trevor Cahill it does seem pretty clear that they are going to try and shed Hammel's contract. Trading Wood or non tendering him seems like a good way to go as well. They will probably have to add a bullpen arm if they get rid of Wood but it seems like they are looking for one so I bet once they figure that out Wood is a goner. I don't see Montero being moved because we do seem to lack options if they trade him so unless they can find a reasonably priced catcher that will work for a year or two I see Montero sticking around. Getting rid of Wood and Hammel's contract should be enough to make a run at Heyward or Gordon/Span if they end up trading Soler.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Jed kind of made fun of the Twitter rumors just now. Said they're still talking to 10 teams.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Return to “Transactions”