The Pitchers we can trade for....

davell
Superstar

Re: The Pitchers we can trade for....

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:58 pm

If its not hyperbole and they are actually talking to 10 teams.....1) Cleveland 2) Tampa 3) Baltimore 4) Atlanta 5) San Diego 6) Oakland(they have to at least ask on Gray 7) White Sox(Quintana 8) Miami (Have to ask there too 9) Mets( I'd guess its an option 10) Nat's (Ross?)

I can't think of anyone else.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:01 pm

While pitching and CF are the priorities, Jed said they don't have a particular need to add to the rotation.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:01 am

FWIW

Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:33 am

A mystery team is making a very strong push for Fernandez, according to Stark.
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:00 pm

This tweet was in response to someone asking what's up with the trade he said would happen late last night
Screw Pitchers

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 33s34 seconds ago

#Padres prefer to exhaust shortstop trade possibilities before delving into free-agent market at the position, sources say.

I'm over trading Javy or Soler personally. I love our depth. If SD cam calling and offered Ross for Javy straight up....Is it a no or a yes?(it's a no for me)

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:39 pm

davell wrote:Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 33s34 seconds ago

#Padres prefer to exhaust shortstop trade possibilities before delving into free-agent market at the position, sources say.

I'm over trading Javy or Soler personally. I love our depth. If SD cam calling and offered Ross for Javy straight up....Is it a no or a yes?(it's a no for me)

nope.
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:46 pm

At this point, if it's me Javy is only going for a SP with good current/proven production, potential for more, lots of team control, and some baseline for durability. That list is basically Gray, Odorizzi, Gausman, and maybe Teheran. Otherwise I'm happy to use prospects to try and get another SP if needed(or possibly money in the case of Sierra).

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:At this point, if it's me Javy is only going for a SP with good current/proven production, potential for more, lots of team control, and some baseline for durability. That list is basically Gray, Odorizzi, Gausman, and maybe Teheran. Otherwise I'm happy to use prospects to try and get another SP if needed(or possibly money in the case of Sierra).

I'd add Carrasco and Salazar to the list. If you're including Gray, Carrasco should be there. If you're excluding Salazar for durability reasons, Odorizzi should be gone.

But that's quibbling.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Specifically on Ross, no. He's got what, 2 more arb years left? The issue isn't that, though. As good as he is, I guess I still worry somewhat about arms that are so heavily dependent on slider usage. Add in that we aren't in a pressing need right now, and even though I think we add one more starter this winter (and maybe an arm or two for AAA), I wouldn't make the move for Ross straight up for Baez. I don't necessarily think value wise, in this market, that it's the far.

There's probably an arm or two, if I pondered, that was offered straight up for Javy, that I would probably say yes to.

I will say this - if they are listening on Travis Jankowski, and expanded the deal a bit, would I listen, assuming Jason Heyward was a no? I might ... and I don't absolutely love Jankowski, but it would make some sense for us. At the end of the day, it obviously would depend on what the rest of the package was. I could see something like Ross/Jankowski/low level guy for Baez/2 more pieces below Gleyber be somewhat worth it for us.

Wouldn't surprise me if, in the end, San Diego ended up going the route of FA, though. Someone like Ian Desmond, coming off a down year, might be a fit there without the cost of giving up assets.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:16 pm

No. For several reasons.

1. I don't like trading 6 years of control for 2.
2. I really like the depth of the team as it stands right now and think that will help this team win a world series in the next couple years.
3. The rotation is pretty darn good and deep already.
4. I'd really like to see what Javy can become.

And the list goes on from there...
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Tim wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:At this point, if it's me Javy is only going for a SP with good current/proven production, potential for more, lots of team control, and some baseline for durability. That list is basically Gray, Odorizzi, Gausman, and maybe Teheran. Otherwise I'm happy to use prospects to try and get another SP if needed(or possibly money in the case of Sierra).

I'd add Carrasco and Salazar to the list. If you're including Gray, Carrasco should be there. If you're excluding Salazar for durability reasons, Odorizzi should be gone.

But that's quibbling.

That's a good list. I think Gray is a pipe dream, though. If you have Gray on the list why not Sale or Archer? I guess maybe because it's Billy Beane and you never can tell with him. For me it's...

1.Gausman - 5 years of control, youth, no injury history, durable frame, upside with present stuff and good control.
2.Teheran - 4 years of control, youth, no injury history, durable frame, has upside and good stuff, struggled with control last season.
3.Carrasco - 5 years of control, dominating performance last season, good size but already 28 with a history of injury.
4.Salazar - 5 years of control, youth, no injury history, questionable durability due to smaller frame, but man is he good. Could be higher on this list.

Ross, Cobb, Smyly and Odorizzi (with others) fill out the list. Not necessarily in that order.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

BrockLanders
Starter

Postby BrockLanders » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:41 pm

[expletive] pitchers, keep the dongsmen and sign Heyward and dong the league into oblivion
Screw Pitchers

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:53 pm

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm all about Carrasco, but I am perfectly happy with the set up of our roster.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:25 am

But Theo I thought [expletive] PITCHERS and [expletive]

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 am

Heyward, a good lefty reliever and call it an offseason.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:53 am

Tryptamine wrote:Heyward, a good lefty reliever and call it an offseason.

They already have one if they don't trade Wood.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Lefty
All-Star

Postby Lefty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:17 am

Despite all the smoke out there about trading for Ross, Carrasco or Salazar, I wonder if we are underrating the Warren acquisition. Given the haul for Shelby Miller, doesn't it make sense that the FO would be looking for some seemingly unconventional way to add a starting pitcher? Given the Warren Fangraphs posted here, Castro for Warren and a savings of $8 million beats the heck out of the rumored deals.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:25 am

Lefty wrote:Despite all the smoke out there about trading for Ross, Carrasco or Salazar, I wonder if we are underrating the Warren acquisition. Given the haul for Shelby Miller, doesn't it make sense that the FO would be looking for some seemingly unconventional way to add a starting pitcher? Given the Warren Fangraphs posted here, Castro for Warren and a savings of $8 million beats the heck out of the rumored deals.

It's probably more likely that these GM's are being rightly stubborn parting with their young talent. Theo is trying to get the best value for Soler or Baez while his potential trade partners aren't satisfied that they are getting enough from Theo to pull the trigger. Since Theo has such a glorious talent pool to trade from, it's pretty reasonable to think that they want him to include more to make a deal happen. And happily, Theo isn't dumb enough to fall for it. Theo can afford to be patient and picky at this point. He can also afford to do nothing.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:46 am

Lefty wrote:Despite all the smoke out there about trading for Ross, Carrasco or Salazar, I wonder if we are underrating the Warren acquisition. Given the haul for Shelby Miller, doesn't it make sense that the FO would be looking for some seemingly unconventional way to add a starting pitcher? Given the Warren Fangraphs posted here, Castro for Warren and a savings of $8 million beats the heck out of the rumored deals.

I think the Warren acquisition is being slept on a little, at least outside of here. I'm not sure that "we" are, though.

We've all seen the projections and obviously if that can be brought to fruition, he's a hell of an acquisition.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:47 am

Did we set this SP trade market off in its current state with the Russell trade? Seems like if you want a youngish SP with a few years of control you're going to have to give up more than you might be comfortable with. Maybe I just have a really short memory though.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:17 am

I keep thinking that, if they fail to land a big impact trade, I really wouldn't mind making a move for a pitcher to stash at AAA that's more than your retread/minor league FA type. I'm not particularly enamored with the options that we could turn to early in the year. I'm not talking about any high end young talent that would be expensive in a trade, more a guy like Tyler Wilson of the Orioles (or any number of other guys), someone who has shown some ability in the bigs as a back of the rotation type of guy, has options and could be stashed at AAA.

___

JGA - Off the top, I would say that pitching has always been expensive. In 2011, the Indians dealt Alex White, Drew Pomeranz and more for Ubaldo Jimenez, who had a couple years of control left. Neither White or Pomeranz have panned out as expected, they were both very highly touted, and Pomeranz ranked really high on some lists, IIRC. Our trade perhaps pushed things further even more, but cheap, young pitching has always cost a lot, for the most part.

Return to “Transactions”