2%
YEEEEESSSSSS ffs
26%

Total votes: 95

The Logan
Superstar

Re: Jason Heyward to CUBS!!!

Postby The Logan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:38 pm

David wrote:Why doesn't Samardzija count?

My best guess is because he was groomed as a starter in the minors, and only had one full season as a reliever at the MLB level?
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:56 am

I would not describe Ryan Dempster as a middle reliever who became a starter late in his career.

Dempster was a starter who became a closer, and then went back to starting.

Also, Warren made 17 starts last year and was able to maintain basically the same numbers he had put up as a reliever. He's only been in the league for 4 years. Without ever seeing him pitch, I certainly don't think it's unrealistic for him to be a better starter than Hammel and Hendricks. I have a feeling the front office is eyeing him as a starter.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:05 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:I would not describe Ryan Dempster as a middle reliever who became a starter late in his career.

Dempster was a starter who became a closer, and then went back to starting.

Also, Warren made 17 starts last year and was able to maintain basically the same numbers he had put up as a reliever. He's only been in the league for 4 years. Without ever seeing him pitch, I certainly don't think it's unrealistic for him to be a better starter than Hammel and Hendricks. I have a feeling the front office is eyeing him as a starter.

Warren put up solid numbers as a starter but they weren't basically the same as when he was relieving.. ERA (2.29 to 3.66), WHIP (1.02 to 1.22), K/9 (9.4 to 6.3) and BB/9 (2.3 to 2.8) all got worse.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Cardinals fan to me just now, "if you keep taking all our players it's going to backfire eventually."

I just replied, "doubtful"

I love this offseason
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:05 pm

He's right. The rest of them are [expletive].

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:32 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Cardinals fan to me just now, "if you keep taking all our players it's going to backfire eventually."

I love this offseason

I wonder how he thinks that taking the good players away from your rival could backfire. Thats....kinda puzzling.

BCVM22
Audio King

Postby BCVM22 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:47 am

(cackling)

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:03 am

Enn Tea wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Cardinals fan to me just now, "if you keep taking all our players it's going to backfire eventually."

I love this offseason

I wonder how he thinks that taking the good players away from your rival could backfire. Thats....kinda puzzling.

Not only losing draft picks, but giving them to an organization that is as adept as practically any in sports at finding quality young talent might be part of his reasoning. While this offseason may cost St Louis the division in 2016, it could very easily help them win the division down the road.

Also I'm not too keen on acting like its a given that St Louis will finish behind us in the standings. Their rotation, while filled with injury risks, certainly has the ability to be on the same level as Chicago's (especially considering two of our starters will be age 32 and older). Also if St.Louis could somehow manage to snag Chris Davis their middle of the order would absolutely be capable of going head to head with the Rizzo/Bryant/Schwarber trio.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:24 am

BCVM22 wrote:

(cackling)

My favorite part:

Mozeliak wrote:“Our success has really come from our pipeline, and I think we’re really going to lean on that. The last month has been trying to play in the big-boy pool, and unfortunately we just didn’t end up getting it done. But I really don’t want to dwell on that because I don’t love the sound of finishing second, either. I do think we went out and we tried to make robust offers that we felt were competitive, and it just didn’t get it done."
Spoiler: show

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 am

BCVM22 wrote:

(cackling)

oh this is extremely my [expletive]
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:44 am

Tim wrote:
BCVM22 wrote:

(cackling)

My favorite part:

Mozeliak wrote:“Our success has really come from our pipeline, and I think we’re really going to lean on that. The last month has been trying to play in the big-boy pool, and unfortunately we just didn’t end up getting it done. But I really don’t want to dwell on that because I don’t love the sound of finishing second, either. I do think we went out and we tried to make robust offers that we felt were competitive, and it just didn’t get it done."

Nah, this was the best part:

"But I can’t say I’m in any kind of agreement with that (Chicago) core being better than any kind of core that we have."

ScrubMD
All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:38 am

BCVM22 wrote:

(cackling)

:(

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
BCVM22 wrote:

(cackling)

oh this is extremely my [expletive]

Matheny is really going out of his way to take umbrage here. Heyward just observed that the Cubs project to have a more stable roster than st. louis (particularly with respect to their core players) over the duration of his contract. He didn't say Molina, Wainwright and Holliday are garbage. He just pointed out when their contracts are up.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:31 pm

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 pm

Banedon wrote:Deadspin also enjoyed this.

http://deadspin.com/mike-matheny-and-th ... 1748967404

That is incredible.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Hahaha Matheny is terrified
Spoiler: show

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:50 pm

Nobody besides the Cubs is winning the division any time soon. Certainly not in this decade.

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:49 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:Nobody besides the Cubs is winning the division any time soon. Certainly not in this decade.

Some of you guys are getting really ridiculous in terms of underestimating St Louis. Their middle of the order trio of Carpenter,Grichuk and Piscotty isn't that far behind that of Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber. Their rotation, while containing injury question marks, certainly has more than enough ability.

Also considering that they turned David Freese into Randall Grichuk, and a Supplemental Pick into Stephen Piscotty, they clearly are lead by people who have a heck of an eye for young talent. Barring a Chris Davis signing I'd say its fairly likely St Louis doesn't win the division in 2016. But with the extra draft selections they'll have next year I could very easily see the Cardinals turning those picks into key players who will be ready to help by 2018 (or quality trade bait).

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:Nobody besides the Cubs is winning the division any time soon. Certainly not in this decade.

Hopefully winning the division is not the goal.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:22 am

StylesClash wrote:

Some of you guys are getting really ridiculous in terms of underestimating St Louis. Their middle of the order trio of Carpenter,Grichuk and Piscotty isn't that far behind that of Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber.

You keep talking about their middle of the order almost matching up with Chicago's, as if the top and bottom of the order aren't important variables or something.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:31 am

Grichuk and Piscotty both performed better in the majors than they did in the minors and neither are even on the same talent level as Soler or Javy, much less KB, Rizzo, or Schwarber. Russell out OPSing those 2 in 2016 is probably a 50/50 proposition.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:35 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
StylesClash wrote:

Some of you guys are getting really ridiculous in terms of underestimating St Louis. Their middle of the order trio of Carpenter,Grichuk and Piscotty isn't that far behind that of Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber.

You keep talking about their middle of the order almost matching up with Chicago's, as if the top and bottom of the order aren't important variables or something.

Also, here's Steamer wOBA for those 6 guys mentioned:

Carpenter: .345
Grichuk: .317
PIscotty: .319

Rizzo: .380
Bryant: .373
Schwarber: .353

The projections on Grichuk and Piscotty are probably too pessimistic, and Holliday projects at .350, but still. Those groups are not terribly close.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:37 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
StylesClash wrote:

Also as if that middle of the order almost matched up with ours...

Steamer 2016 Projections
Rizzo .380 wOBA 143 wRC+
Bryant .373 wOBA 137 wRC+
Schwarber .353 wOBA 124 wRC+

Carpenter .345 wOBA 120 wRC+
Grichuk .317 wOBA 101 wRC+
Piscotty .319 wOBA 103 wRC+

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:38 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
StylesClash wrote:

Also, here's Steamer wOBA for those 6 guys mentioned:

Carpenter: .345
Grichuk: .317
PIscotty: .319

Rizzo: .380
Bryant: .373
Schwarber: .353

The projections on Grichuk and Piscotty are probably too pessimistic, and Holliday projects at .350, but still. Those groups are not terribly close.

OH MY GOD I HATE YOU SO MUCH

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:39 am

isn't that basically grichuk without the .370 or whatever babip? i don't think that's too pessimistic.

maybe piscotty's approach changes in 2015 will mean he's yet another decent cardinal prospect to turn into a way better star than his minor league pedigree would indicate.

i did overlook holliday though.

Return to “Transactions”