YEEEEESSSSSS ffs
26%

Total votes: 95

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: Jason Heyward to CUBS!!!

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:57 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:Nobody besides the Cubs is winning the division any time soon. Certainly not in this decade.

Hopefully winning the division is not the goal.

Right, because they should adopt that proven formula for winning it all once you make the playoffs.
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:45 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:Nobody besides the Cubs is winning the division any time soon. Certainly not in this decade.

Lighten up, you Droopy Dog-sounding [expletive].
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:54 am

Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Right, because they should adopt that proven formula for winning it all once you make the playoffs.

Winning the division (and thus making the playoffs) is great as is having the best team on paper, but I would hope that our our goal is to not only make it to the WS, but to win it.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:55 am

OF COURSE THEIR GOAL IS TO WIN THE WS. NOBODY IS SAYING IT'S NOT

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:04 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Winning the division (and thus making the playoffs) is great as is having the best team on paper, but I would hope that our our goal is to not only make it to the WS, but to win it.

winning the division year after year is the actual goal because it's the one thing sorta within your control you can do to maximize your chances at winning a world series.

winning the world series is obviously everyone's goal but it's not really something you can set out to do (beyond doing your best to win the division frequently).

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 am

It's pretty clear to me the goal is to make it to the World Series, win a couple games and call it a night.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:17 am

It's an honor just to be nominated.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:35 am

Good God, I think it [expletive] kills him that we're good now. The next thing remotely positive coming out of his mouth will be the first.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:43 am

davell wrote:Good God, I think it [expletive] kills him that we're good now. The next thing remotely positive coming out of his mouth will be the first.

eh don't really see these posts as having anything to do with his past stuff about the FO or his feelings on theo/hendry.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:44 am

davell wrote:Good God, I think it [expletive] kills him that we're good now. The next thing remotely positive coming out of his mouth will be the first.

I would hope the goal is being ecstatic, and not just settle for positive goals.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:50 am

David wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

winning the division year after year is the actual goal because it's the one thing sorta within your control you can do to maximize your chances at winning a world series.

winning the world series is obviously everyone's goal but it's not really something you can set out to do (beyond doing your best to win the division frequently).

Hopefully making the hall of fame is everyone's goal

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:58 am

I don't know what your problem is. It was fun watching this year's team and I'm looking forward to the next few when hopefully we can win a WS. If I'm not mistaken Theo has said numerous times that his goal is to end the drought and win a WS for the fans. When I say our goal is to win the WS, the negativity starts.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:06 pm

StylesClash wrote:

Some of you guys are getting really ridiculous in terms of underestimating St Louis. Their middle of the order trio of Carpenter,Grichuk and Piscotty isn't that far behind that of Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber.

steamer has their trio producing about 2 wins of offense, whereas the 3 Cubs hitters you mentioned they project for 8-9 wins lol

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm

David wrote:isn't that basically grichuk without the .370 or whatever babip? i don't think that's too pessimistic.

maybe piscotty's approach changes in 2015 will mean he's yet another decent cardinal prospect to turn into a way better star than his minor league pedigree would indicate.

i did overlook holliday though.

I'm not terribly optimistic about either personally. Grichuk's career bears resemblance to someone who could crash out as swing holes get exploited, and Piscotty - BABIP is not a regular if his defense is as poor as it was in MLB last year. But they both were far more productive than those projections so in the spirit of not being a complete homer I'd not be surprised if they were above average hitters. The original point remains though, even with all of those concessions they do not touch the current Cub lineup or heart of the order.

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:45 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:It's pretty clear to me the goal is to make it to the World Series, win a couple games and call it a night.

obviously the goal is to have fun and practice good sportsmanship.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:13 pm

abuck1220 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:It's pretty clear to me the goal is to make it to the World Series, win a couple games and call it a night.

when do the Cubs get their participation trophies?
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:20 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
abuck1220 wrote:

when do the Cubs get their participation trophies?

In this economy?

flyseye
Role Player

Postby flyseye » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Pretty sure after his ROY performance last year, Bryant has a good shot at Mr Congeniality in 2016.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 am

after all, it's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:42 am

Backtobanks wrote:

I don't know what your problem is. It was fun watching this year's team and I'm looking forward to the next few when hopefully we can win a WS. If I'm not mistaken Theo has said numerous times that his goal is to end the drought and win a WS for the fans. When I say our goal is to win the WS, the negativity starts.

We just went round and round about this in another thread. That's why you're getting the reaction you're getting.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:54 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

We just went round and round about this in another thread. That's why you're getting the reaction you're getting.

Went round and round about what?

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:18 am

David wrote:isn't that basically grichuk without the .370 or whatever babip? i don't think that's too pessimistic.

maybe piscotty's approach changes in 2015 will mean he's yet another decent cardinal prospect to turn into a way better star than his minor league pedigree would indicate.

Yeah. Just as Styles overlooked Heyward. And Zobrist. And Russell and Soler and Montero and Baez.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:27 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:

Yeah. Just as Styles overlooked Heyward. And Zobrist. And Russell and Soler and Montero and Baez.

well those guys don't project to be our best offensive player like holliday does for them so it's not quite the same.

that said, i think even heyward projects as our 4th best wOBA at .351, ahead of holliday by one point.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:53 am

flyseye wrote:Pretty sure after his ROY performance last year, Bryant has a good shot at Mr Congeniality in 2016.

Oops, that was piscotti. Sorry Kris, take off the crown.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:49 pm

this has been making cubs twitter rounds today
Last edited by David on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Transactions”