2%
YEEEEESSSSSS ffs
26%

Total votes: 95

CubinNY
Superstar

Re: Jason Heyward to CUBS!!!

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 am

BigbadB wrote:1984 was an amazing year. My best friend's grandfather had season tickets behind 3rd base in St. Louis and we got to take in an entire weekend series in St. Louis that year with my best friend and our two girlfriends at the time, including a double header after one of the games got rained out. I was just back from my year and a half stay in Florida and we stayed at a Drury Inn somewhere close to the stadium. Amazing time! Had to look up the dates, but it was September 21-23.

Friday the Cubs got shut out. Saturday we waited in the room while it rained and rained and rained. We finally learned the game was postponed, and luckily it turned into a double header on Sunday. We then watched the Cubs take both games on Sunday, with Sarge taking Walkin' Underwear deep in game two. It was awesome. Probably not as big a deal for many of you that live in Chicago and get to take in so many games being so close, but definitely among my favorite memories.

Do you and your friend have a double header with your girlfriends or did you see two games in one day?

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 am

I watched every game that year. Moises Alou would NOT have caught that ball. He had trouble catching balls hit right to him. This is the same guy who thought it was better to try to kick a ball deeper into the ivy rather than reach down and pick up the ball and throw it to his cut off man. With that said, after the play happened, I had a strange reaction which isn't all that normal for me. Usually I behave a little irrationally over a small issue as a first reaction and I was as calm as ever, but somehow sensed everything was about to unravel. And I basically sat still, somewhat trancelike while everything unfolded. It was like 1984 all over again. I stared blankly at the tv for what seemed like forever afterwards, shocked at what just happened.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:05 am

CubinNY wrote:
BigbadB wrote:1984 was an amazing year. My best friend's grandfather had season tickets behind 3rd base in St. Louis and we got to take in an entire weekend series in St. Louis that year with my best friend and our two girlfriends at the time, including a double header after one of the games got rained out. I was just back from my year and a half stay in Florida and we stayed at a Drury Inn somewhere close to the stadium. Amazing time! Had to look up the dates, but it was September 21-23.

Friday the Cubs got shut out. Saturday we waited in the room while it rained and rained and rained. We finally learned the game was postponed, and luckily it turned into a double header on Sunday. We then watched the Cubs take both games on Sunday, with Sarge taking Walkin' Underwear deep in game two. It was awesome. Probably not as big a deal for many of you that live in Chicago and get to take in so many games being so close, but definitely among my favorite memories.

Do you and your friend have a double header with your girlfriends or did you see two games in one day?

We saw two games that day. Although we did attempt the ole swapperoo at another time, but that didn't work out so well. :nono:

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:45 am

BigbadB wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

We saw two games that day. Although we did attempt the ole swapperoo at another time, but that didn't work out so well. :nono:

chicks, man.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Stu wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:
The Logan wrote:Bartman was no different than any other time in history a fan has reached for a foul ball. This was just in a pressure situation so it's exacerbated to the nth degree. He did the same thing any of us would've done, but it was him and not us so he's the "bad guy". If Alou hadn't reacted the way he did, it wouldn't be a thing. It'd just be another foul ball in the stands that a player was unable to get to. Moving on.

Now, Alex Gonzalez? That was a thing. That was a very much a thing. THAT killed that game, not a stupid fan reaching for a foul ball like all the others around him.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of the actual foul ball. When I refer to the "Bartman incident", I'm referring to that foul ball and then everything that unfolded after that. I don't know about you guys, but as soon as the foul ball happened, I KNEW everything was about to go wrong. I could just feel it in my gut. Then when Gonzalez botched that grounder, it was like, "oh, here we go".

Yeah, everyone reaches for foul balls, and that aspect in and of itself isn't a big deal. What makes it a big deal is that it was a clearly defined turning point. Everything before that point was a perfect fairy tale. Then the Bartman play happened, and everything all came tumbling down at once. It was absolutely spooky. I'm not going to start talking about a curse, but that was some seriously weird [expletive]. I felt like I had just seen a ghost.

True story, when that happened, I was reading to my then 4 year old daughter. I was watching the game, sitting on a rocker with her in my lap. I saw the Bartman play then looked down at the book to continue the story and guess what was on the page in front of me? A goat. Seriously.

:|

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 pm

BigbadB wrote:I watched every game that year. Moises Alou would NOT have caught that ball. He had trouble catching balls hit right to him. This is the same guy who thought it was better to try to kick a ball deeper into the ivy rather than reach down and pick up the ball and throw it to his cut off man. With that said, after the play happened, I had a strange reaction which isn't all that normal for me. Usually I behave a little irrationally over a small issue as a first reaction and I was as calm as ever, but somehow sensed everything was about to unravel. And I basically sat still, somewhat trancelike while everything unfolded. It was like 1984 all over again. I stared blankly at the tv for what seemed like forever afterwards, shocked at what just happened.

Screw you for making me relive this. Exactly this. Trance is the only word for it.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:49 pm

my trance lasted through game 7

i remember a similar feeling hitting me somewhere during game 2, maybe even game 1 after the grand slam, in 2008.

it wasn't fully wiped out until schwarb hit that ball into the Allegheny

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:05 am

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:40 am

David wrote:http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v538716683/heyward-on-preparing-for-first-season-with-the-cubs/?query=cubs

Good lord, just let Rosenthal do the interview next time. HR and Fran are a couple of numbskulls.

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:55 pm

David wrote:my trance lasted through game 7

i remember a similar feeling hitting me somewhere during game 2, maybe even game 1 after the grand slam, in 2008.

it wasn't fully wiped out until schwarb hit that ball into the Allegheny

Yep. All of this.

DiceMan4221
Starter

Postby DiceMan4221 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:37 am

"When it comes down to leaving a team, if they're happy to see me leave, then I didn't do my job right. I'm just kinda happy that somebody's gonna miss me when I'm gone." -Jason "Above It" Heyward
And who, according to Showalter, best exemplifies high-buttedness? Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee. "I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I say, Wow."

Return to “Transactions”