2%
YEEEEESSSSSS ffs
26%

Total votes: 95

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: Jason Heyward - 2016 CF?

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 pm

davell wrote:He's wanting 7 years, that seems pretty scary to me for him.

Why? If there's any FA in this years class that's likely to produce positively/significantly over the next 7 years it's him. Even if you think his offensive ceiling is HR's in the teens, SB in the high teens and a .270/.350/.450 line he's likely a positive defender in CF for 4-5 years of that deal and then will probably still be a plus defender in RF or LF for the last 2-3 years.
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:30 pm

He's talking about Chris Davis, not Heyward.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:He's talking about Chris Davis, not Heyward.

Oh, my bad. Yeah Davis for 7 years would scare me, especially as a NL team with no DH slot.
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 pm

davell wrote:He's wanting 7 years, that seems pretty scary to me for him.

Eh, I think he gets 5-6 and that he'll hit HRs and take walks for a long time. I have him as the #2 position player after Heyward, #4 overall, and the best bat in FA. Can occupy RF in the way that Holliday occupies LF for them before eventually just moving to 1B full time.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:44 am

i don't want to hate chris davis. he's been a cheap hero for my keeper team.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:09 pm

i just really, really wanna sign heyward, you guys

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:32 pm

ctcf wrote:i just really, really wanna sign heyward, you guys

If you're there, imagine where I'm at. I talk about the Cubs signing Heyward to people IRL like that will make the Cubs the greatest thing they will ever see in the history of the world times ten plus infinity. It's got to be so tedious to listen to.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:05 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

If you're there, imagine where I'm at. I talk about the Cubs signing Heyward to people IRL like that will make the Cubs the greatest thing they will ever see in the history of the world times ten plus infinity. It's got to be so tedious to listen to.

how often do you talk to them about turning Chapman into a starter?

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 am

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 2849735680

CUBS ON THE PROWL

The Cubs are “busy” looking for a center fielder, according to a rival executive, and surely they will find one. But at the moment, their options are limited.

Free agent Dexter Fowler remains a possibility after declining the team’s qualifying offer, but he currently is exploring the open market.

The Cubs could sign free agent Jason Heyward to play center or right, but only if they traded Jorge Soler and addressed their rotation in a cost-efficient manner.

The trade market offers additional options, and the Cubs’ offense is good enough for the team to acquire a defense-first type who would bat at the bottom of the order — someone, perhaps, like the Astros’ Jake Marisnick.

Heyward, though, remains a tantalizing target — rival execs say that Cubs president Theo Epstein has long admired the outfielder, who at 26 is that rare free agent entering his prime.

As I’ve written previously, the Cubs could trade a young player such as Soler or infielder Javier Baez for a controllable starter, particularly if they balk at the free-agent prices for Samardzija, Lackey, et al.

Not sure why he words the Heyward part that way...if he can play CF, why do they need to trade Soler? Him being a liability in RF with Heyward in CF (can Heyward be "worse" than Fowler was supposed to be going in)? Salary?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:10 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:15 am

David wrote:https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/672398712849735680

CUBS ON THE PROWL

The Cubs are “busy” looking for a center fielder, according to a rival executive, and surely they will find one. But at the moment, their options are limited.

Free agent Dexter Fowler remains a possibility after declining the team’s qualifying offer, but he currently is exploring the open market.

The Cubs could sign free agent Jason Heyward to play center or right, but only if they traded Jorge Soler and addressed their rotation in a cost-efficient manner.

The trade market offers additional options, and the Cubs’ offense is good enough for the team to acquire a defense-first type who would bat at the bottom of the order — someone, perhaps, like the Astros’ Jake Marisnick.

Heyward, though, remains a tantalizing target — rival execs say that Cubs president Theo Epstein has long admired the outfielder, who at 26 is that rare free agent entering his prime.

As I’ve written previously, the Cubs could trade a young player such as Soler or infielder Javier Baez for a controllable starter, particularly if they balk at the free-agent prices for Samardzija, Lackey, et al.

Not sure why he words the Heyward part that way...if he can play CF, why do they need to trade Soler? Him being a liability in RF with Heyward in CF (can Heyward be "worse" than Fowler was supposed to be going in)? Salary?

I just tweeted Rosenthal asking about why you'd have to trade Soler, and he replied, saying that they'd do that to get the pitcher.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 am

CUBS ON THE PROWL

I think he's assuming they'd need to trade Soler to get the pitcher, because their budget would be maxed out once they signed Heyward.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:42 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/in ... t?id=11749

There's supposedly some mention of Cubs/Heyward

EDIT: Got it...nothing really new.

Price and the Cubs were a perfect fit in every way but one: financial risk. The Cubs already have a ton of money owed to Lester for the next five seasons, and as the Red Sox stepped into the mix and made it clear to everybody else they were going all-in to get Price, Chicago just never got comfortable with the idea of owing $55 million per year for the foreseeable future to two starters on the backsides of their respective careers.
So the Cubs already have started to examine possible Plan B's, which might include a trade for Miller or another young, controllable starter, and Chicago would seem to have a natural framework for a swap of Jorge Soler and Shelby Miller. The savings on Miller might allow them to go after Heyward, whose defense is ridiculously good and who wouldn't necessarily have to be a high-end offensive player for the Cubs because of the presence of Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Kyle Schwarber et al.
As noted earlier, the Cubs also have kept open the conversations with Samardzija, a pitcher they know and respect. Hey, no matter what choices the Cubs make, they will be set up very well going into next season.
Last edited by David on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 am

On PTI last night they were debating whether or not Heyward would get $300 million. The consensus was that nobody would offer him that. Is 10 years/ $240 million what it would take to sign him?
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:45 am

i really hope that heyward is undervalued enough for the reasons that meatballs seem to (which basically seems like "not enough power for a guy who looks like he has so much")

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:48 am

David wrote:http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post?id=11749

There's supposedly some mention of Cubs/Heyward

It really says nothing. Other than rehashing the trading Soler for pitching may let them go after Heyward narrative.
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:49 am

biittner77 wrote:On PTI last night they were debating whether or not Heyward would get $300 million. The consensus was that nobody would offer him that. Is 10 years/ $240 million what it would take to sign him?

If I had to bet on it I'd say he signs for more than $240, at the very least I think that's near the floor for what he goes for. But like David said maybe most teams are turned off by/don't see the value in the defense and offense that's not power driven and the price comes in lower.
Screw Pitchers

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:53 am

Banedon wrote:

CUBS ON THE PROWL

I just tweeted Rosenthal asking about why you'd have to trade Soler, and he replied, saying that they'd do that to get the pitcher.

Got it. I'd rather sign a Lackey/Leake than do that, if there's room. If there isn't, there's a couple salary "dump" options (I realize it's not entirely that as they'd get a cheaper pitcher back) I'd prefer way ahead of Soler.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:58 am

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:

CUBS ON THE PROWL

Got it. I'd rather sign a Lackey/Leake than do that, if there's room. If there isn't, there's a couple salary "dump" options (I realize it's not entirely that as they'd get a cheaper pitcher back) I'd prefer way ahead of Soler.

Agreed. I'd dump Castro and Wood for cash savings to sign a Leake or Lackey before trading Soler.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:46 am

PTR probably spent all of his money funding Ben Carson's campaign or something.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:31 pm

I really, really want to get him now that the rotation is probably done having money spent on it.
Screw Pitchers

mdwilla
Starter

Postby mdwilla » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:50 am

Heading into this week’s winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn., though, team president Theo Epstein says he’s still keeping options open in both the free agent and trade markets and isn’t willing to dismiss a significant position player free agent – in part because the front office is exploring moves to free up more payroll dollars.

“I wouldn’t rule anything out or anything in,” said Epstein, who still is in contact with Dexter Fowler’s agent, although the free agent center fielder is likely headed elsewhere.

Heyward, who is expected to command $20 million or more a year for at least eight years, has been linked to the Cubs. And some sources suggest the Cubs are focusing next on trying to make a deal with him happen.

A likely free agent alternative is a shorter-term solution such as Denard Span if they sign an everyday player.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71 ... hing-needs

Montero
Hammel
Castro
Wood
Soler
Coghlan

Lackey’s $16 million salary next season boosts the Cubs’ commitments (counting arbitration projections) to about $120 million of a budget in the $130 million range.

PTR I was anticipating 140 after the ticket hike generating an estaimated 20M revenue alone.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:32 am

Payroll only rising 10M ,despite additional revenues in 2015 of roughly 50M, is a bad joke.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:32 pm

NASHVILLE -- Chicago Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein predicted a "wild" week as the 2015 winter meetings kick off here Monday at the Opryland Hotel. Will his team be part of the mayhem?

All signs point to the Cubs completing at least one trade in the near future after agreeing to terms with free-agent pitcher John Lackey on a two-year contract Friday. If it's a deal that clears money off their books -- think Jorge Soler, Starlin Castro or Miguel Montero -- it might put them in the hunt for outfielder Jason Heyward, long coveted by the team.

"I think we're making some progress," Epstein said Friday. "We've had a lot of conversations. ... Sometimes when you make a trade it opens up the ability to sign a free agent."

Epstein didn't say it directly, but that's a sign Heyward might be on their minds. He's seeking a deal between 8-10 years, according to industry sources. Maybe that can work in the Cubs' favor as they've said all along in order to sign a big-ticket player they would have to get "creative" with the contract. A longer term deal might allow for that. It has been reported the Cubs have about $20-30 million to spend this offseason before increases for returning players. About half of that was eaten up by Lackey's signing. Doing the math, the Cubs probably need more money for 2016 in order to sign Heyward even if they backload some of his salary.

"We've been working with our business side on ways to create a little more room for 2016 within the parameters that we have," Epstein said. "I wouldn't rule anything in or anything out."

The Cubs can help themselves and kill two birds with one stone by moving a player making decent money for a young arm while giving them the wherewithal to sign Heyward. Though Epstein is on record saying Montero would be back next season -- and the team really likes how Castro responded in the second half -- do we really believe anyone not named Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo or Russell is untouchable? No chance. Soler can be moved as well. You might like his finish to the season but he has problems in cold weather and staying healthy. And remember you have to give up something to get something. That's as important as anything.

If the Cubs return all their starting position players save Dexter Fowler then they didn't find a deal to their liking but more than likely they'll pull the trigger on something this week while trying to pry a second player away from the St. Louis Cardinals. And don't forget free agent Ben Zobrist. He's still in play especially if the Cubs move on from Heyward.

"There's always more trade talk than actually takes place," Epstein said.

That might be true most years but perhaps this time it will be different.

"I think the meetings are going to be pretty wild," Epstein declared.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/po ... ng-to-deal

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Shedding payroll to add Heyward would be the only way that the rumored Montero trade would begin to make sense.

Return to “Transactions”