Dodgers agree to deal w/ Kente Maeda

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Dodgers agree to deal w/ Kente Maeda

Postby ctcf » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:53 pm

All the foreign player threads! Seriously though, this one is a much more realistic fit for the Cubs, especially with their expressed desire to add some quality pitching this offseason. For those of you who don't remember, he was almost posted last year but was ultimately retained by the Hiroshima Carp. He makes a ton of sense if the scouts like what they see as he will of course only cost money and depending on where the bidding ends up, offer a draft pick free alternative to a lot of the tier 2 pitchers out there.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/663796650096402432

And the rotoworld blurb with a nice stats summary:

According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, the Hiroshima Carp are likely to post Kenta Maeda this winter.
It hasn't happened yet because Maeda is currently pitching for Team Japan in the WSBC's Premier 12 tournament. The right-hander has expressed interest in leaving Nippon Professional Baseball for Major League Baseball each of the last three offseasons, but Hiroshima was previously reluctant to give him away. Maeda, now 27 years old, registred a 2.09 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 175/41 K/BB ratio in 206 1/3 innings this past year in the Central League. He had a 2.60 ERA in 2014, a 2.10 ERA in 2013, and a 1.53 ERA in 2012.

Lastly, his B-Ref page, as I had not realized they did the Japanese leagues as well. Pretty nifty: http://www.baseball-reference.com/regis ... eda-001ken
Last edited by ctcf on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: The Kente Maeda Thread - This time, it's for reals (maybe)

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:28 pm

I can't remember from last offseason, but he profiles more as a middle of the rotation guy than a ACE/top of the rotation guy, right?
Screw Pitchers

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I can't remember from last offseason, but he profiles more as a middle of the rotation guy than a ACE/top of the rotation guy, right?

I'd say that tends to be the general consensus. I referred to him as a tier two alternative above for such reasons. That said, it sounds like he could be a really good 3 with the outside possibility for being a 2 type guy. Depeding on the money, he's potentially a nice alternative to your Samardzija/Brett Anderson types.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:53 am

He has asked his team to post him
Japanese hurler Kenta Maeda has requested that his Japanese club, the Hiroshima Carp, make him available to major league organizations through the posting process, as Yasuko Yanagita of Hochi Shimbun first reported on Twitter....Hiroshima’s general manager Kiyoaki Suzuki said that Maeda’s “request might be granted,” indicating that he’d likely “decide on a course of action around the end of next week.”
Screw Pitchers

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Re: The Kenta Maeda Thread - This time, it's for reals (maybe)

Postby ctcf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:21 pm

you know, given how things have shaken out, Maeda is starting to feel a lot more appealing to me

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Yahoo Japan has a story that Maeda is getting posted.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:40 pm

Soo.... Would we rather have Samardzija or Maeda for the roughly $100 million total investment it should take for each?
Screw Pitchers

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:25 pm

I kind of doubt it'll take 100(even with the 20M fee) on Maeda. That said, depending on how fast the SP's start signing, I kind of hope we don't wait for him. The process takes 4-5 days(I think) and we don't know yet WHEN he's getting posted.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:57 pm

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Re: The Kenta Maeda Thread - Rosenthal: Maeda to be posted

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Now that he's officially available - this is the FA SP I want most. He's going to be Kuroda 2.0 and is a virtual lock to be worth more than you pay, but it goes even beyond that in benefits for the Cubs in my head. I enjoy narratives and basically think he gives the Cubs a needed boost in Japan they will need for Otani and/or Fujinami later on. I see him as a low risk/high reward signing for the Cubs. This franchise just has never established a strong presence in the Asian countries despite probably signing more Asian amateurs than anyone this century.

Want to go heavy on Cuban arms this offseason for the same thing - Cuba and Japan are going to be [expletive] whales for the Cubs moving forward. This is a great offseason to get that ball rolling. Maeada is definitely more the Cubs' speed than Darvish/Tanaka pre-media rights deals - he's cheaper, there's less media fanfare, he is as accomplished as either were in the NPB, durable...He and Sierra, please!

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 am

ctcf wrote:Lastly, his B-Ref page, as I had not realized they did the Japanese leagues as well. Pretty nifty: http://www.baseball-reference.com/regis ... eda-001ken

B-Ref has become baseball's IMDB. They've got pretty much every major, minor, international, and indie league you can think of.

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:31 am

my Mom is a huge Carp fan and she is really sad by this posting. I think her whole family would like nothing more then to see the Carp win the Japan Series, but after the Cubs resurgence last year and when we got Fukudome shes been a pretty big Cub fan. Nothing would alleviate the pain my family in Japan would feel more then to see him in blue pinstripes. Get it done Theo!

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:04 pm

well [expletive]

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:08 pm

still don't want to give a guy who might be hendricks on steroids $100M+ without having seen him pitch a major league inning.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:24 am

what? hendricks on steroids sounds amazing
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:19 pm

Jack Magruder ‏@JackMagruder 2h2 hours ago

With Greinke in place, #Dbacks out on Maeda, source said. Many scouts/officials see him as fourth/fifth starter. Said to be seeking $60M.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 pm

What's the word on him? Has anyone seen anything? Not that I expect us to be involved
Screw Pitchers

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Haven't heard much. Kinda have to expect the Dodgers to be in on him given how the pitching market shook out for them. Didn't Jocketty say the Cardinals were going to focus on pitching as well?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:43 pm

My guess is the Dodgers or Seattle. I saw somewhere he prefers the west coast anyway.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 am

Cubswin11 wrote:What's the word on him? Has anyone seen anything? Not that I expect us to be involved

funny you should ask. he landed in LA last night.

https://twitter.com/la_dodgers_fans/sta ... 4302094337

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am

ctcf wrote:Haven't heard much. Kinda have to expect the Dodgers to be in on him given how the pitching market shook out for them. Didn't Jocketty say the Cardinals were going to focus on pitching as well?

I'm not sure Jocketty is the guy to talk to about the Cardinals. If you wanted to know what it would take to get Joey Votto, he's the guy to speak with.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:47 am

ct what year do you think it is

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1m1 minute ago

Hearing from a baseball source, kenta maeda and dodgers are in agreement. No word on $. @DfineNrmLC all over this one

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:38 pm

I like that the Dodgers are loading up on dong feeders for all of our dongsmiths
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Return to “Transactions”