Minor transactions thread

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Minor transactions thread

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:16 am

Down with Megathreads? Nah.

Phillies signed LHP James Russell to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Russell posted a rough 5.29 ERA in 49 relief appearances this past season for the Cubs. He'll try to reestablish himself next spring in Phillies camp with the hope of landing a spot in the bullpen for Opening Day. Signing a minor league deal this early probably means Russell was given some assurances from the Philadelphia front office. The 29-year-old left-hander was very effective for the Cubs and Braves in 2014.
formerly known as PriorPower

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Re: Minor transactions thread

Postby ctcf » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Brian Schlitter signed with the Rockies, lol

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee is joining the Giants on a minor league deal, Matt Eddy reported as part of a slew of signings. (See his Twitter feed for these and more.) Formerly a top prospect with the Rays, the 25-year-old suffered a serious knee injury and has not hit much since at the Triple-A level. Among other deals, San Francisco also brought back righty Ricky Romero, per Eddy.

We've come a long way from what our Top 10 prospects looked like after the Garza trade.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:
Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee is joining the Giants on a minor league deal, Matt Eddy reported as part of a slew of signings. (See his Twitter feed for these and more.) Formerly a top prospect with the Rays, the 25-year-old suffered a serious knee injury and has not hit much since at the Triple-A level. Among other deals, San Francisco also brought back righty Ricky Romero, per Eddy.

We've come a long way from what our Top 10 prospects looked like after the Garza trade.

Keith Law weeps while eating a pie somewhere after hearing this news
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:43 am

Alex Avila to the White Sox for 1/2.5.

Recently DFA'd Allen Webster to Pittsburgh for cash. I've always liked Webster, especially after the Fangraphs article about finding bullpen diamonds in the rough I was hoping the Cubs might target him.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:44 am

Geovany Soto to the Angels on a one-year deal.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Alex Avila to the White Sox for 1/2.5.

Recently DFA'd Allen Webster to Pittsburgh for cash. I've always liked Webster, especially after the Fangraphs article about finding bullpen diamonds in the rough I was hoping the Cubs might target him.

I was definitely intrigued by Webster after that read, especially if a guy like Cahill bolted.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 25s25 seconds ago Sandy Springs, GA

The #Braves have agreed to a one-year deal with veteran starting pitcher Bud Norris.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 44s45 seconds ago

bud norris gets $2.5M on 1-year braves deal

Pretty solid signing, imo. I was hoping for him as depth at around that same price. That said, I'd say most of these guys would prefer a guaranteed spot and the Braves can probably offer him that.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Geovany Soto to the Angels on a one-year deal.

$2.8 million can buy you a lot of weed

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 am

Post Count Padder wrote:

Any particular reason why his production dropped so much once he went to Tampa? I remember taking a look at Lee's number in Peoria years ago and thinking he was the potential leadoff man of the future. Solid Walk totals, punch out's not too high, and a quality base stealer. Combined with above average defensive range and I'll admit that at one time I was higher on Lee than Castro.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Phillies claimed Peter Bourjos off waivers

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:49 pm

StylesClash wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:

Any particular reason why his production dropped so much once he went to Tampa? I remember taking a look at Lee's number in Peoria years ago and thinking he was the potential leadoff man of the future. Solid Walk totals, punch out's not too high, and a quality base stealer. Combined with above average defensive range and I'll admit that at one time I was higher on Lee than Castro.

I think he had a pretty significant leg injury (Broken leg?)
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:43 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Phillies claimed Peter Bourjos off waivers

Running out of RH CF options to use as a Parra platoon or a handcuff for Span. Hicks, Martin, and Maybin were traded, Bourjos got claimed, and Gentry cleared waivers so it's unlikely the Cubs like him all that much. Basically leaves FAs like Stubbs and (unlikely) Jackson, or maybe trading for Melvin Upton's contract.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:48 pm

I hadn't even thought of Upton. I wonder how much they'd eat on his deal?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:23 pm

davell wrote:I hadn't even thought of Upton. I wonder how much they'd eat on his deal?

There's two years left on his deal. $15.4M next year, and $16.4M for 2017.

He snuck under the radar pretty well, but actually had a pretty sold year last year. He missed a bunch of time early in the season and was awful when he came back. But he picked it up considerably towards the end of the season. He was worth 1.6 fWAR in about a half season of games.

If the Padres are willing to eat $10-20M, I'd be interested.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Neftali Feliz was non tendered, weren't we trying to get him when he was DFA'd during the season? At any rate, I'd like to see us take a chance with him.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:02 pm

So we wound up non tendering Ryan Cook and DFA'd Leathersich as well. Came to an agreement with Richard.

Henderson Alvarez was non tendered. Just had shoulder surgery, supposed to be ready by June.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 pm

davell wrote:So we wound up non tendering Ryan Cook and DFA'd Leathersich as well. Came to an agreement with Richard.

Henderson Alvarez was non tendered. Just had shoulder surgery, supposed to be ready by June.

Mike Minor, also recovering from shoulder surgery, was non-tendered as well. He and Alvarez would be worth checking in on.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:41 pm

davell wrote:So we wound up non tendering Ryan Cook and DFA'd Leathersich as well. Came to an agreement with Richard.

That's $2 mil for Clayton Richard.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Pads and A's swap Drew Pomeranz and Yonder Alonso.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Would anyone want pedro Alvarez on our bench with Wrigley's friendliness to lefties?

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:56 pm

David wrote:Would anyone want pedro Alvarez on our bench with Wrigley's friendliness to lefties?

Sure, in the Daryle Ward PH role. But I'm guessing he'll be able to find and get paid accordingly for a relative/platoon starting role, no?
Screw Pitchers

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Also wonder how thoyer feels about middlebrooks

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:34 am

Alvarez will get decent money from an AL team. 7-10 mill maybe? I'm not thinking Middlebrooks is getting a major league deal at this stage.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:39 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
David wrote:Would anyone want pedro Alvarez on our bench with Wrigley's friendliness to lefties?

Sure, in the Daryle Ward PH role. But I'm guessing he'll be able to find and get paid accordingly for a relative/platoon starting role, no?

Dunno. Huntington said they had zero trade interest but that's obviously not the same thing.

Return to “Transactions”