Colby Rasmus becomes first ever to accept Qualifying Offer

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Colby Rasmus becomes first ever to accept Qualifying Offer

Postby ctcf » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:15 pm

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statu ... 2939024384

Kinda surprised by this one and since it is a little bit historic, figured it should have its own thread. Curious to see how the QO game is affected going forward.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Re: Colby Rasmus becomes first ever to accept Qualifying Offer

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:33 pm

What a nightmare:

Abbc3 Spoiler Show

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:06 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:What a nightmare:

He looks like an extra from the set of Deliverance, or one of Patrick Swayze's relatives in Next of Kin. If the universe made any sense, he'd have played his entire career in a Cardinal uniform.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:28 am

I want to bash him for this and say the union should have his head, but on second thought a mediocre player with a bad reputation, like Rasmus, getting almost $16 million for a season could be a plus on that end. So, should the union be mad?

For Rasmus, it is a clever move on his and his people's part. He just set himself to be next year's Fowler, with power for OBP, in FA with a shot at a 4 year deal. He had no shot this offseason.

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:10 am

XZero77 wrote:

He looks like an extra from the set of Deliverance, or one of Patrick Swayze's relatives in Next of Kin. If the universe made any sense, he'd have played his entire career in a Cardinal uniform.

lol, nice one. I thought he kinda looked like the guy who played Tony Alva in "Lords of Dogtown".

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:08 am

Is the QO like the Franchise Tag in Football where you can (reasonably) only do it once?

I know the Franchise thing you can do it more, but the number becomes so astronomical that it doesn't really make sense.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:34 pm

apete6 wrote:Is the QO like the Franchise Tag in Football where you can (reasonably) only do it once?.

Don't think so. QO could theoretically be repeated, if the team still thinks the guy is worth it but the rest of the league still doesn't think guy is worth multi-year deal

Very different from Franchise Tag, since Tag deprives NFL player of free agency, whereas QO does not. Seems fair that NFL team should pay escalating price to deprive a guy of FA two years straight. But since QO doesn't at all deprive guy of anything, baseball QO can go FA if he wants, there's no reason to make it increasingly hard for the team the second year.

I assume a QO-acceptor can re-work deal any time as well. Replace the $16/1 QO agreement with a $33/3 deal in it's place, if they both wanted to?

Wonder if Fowler has any interest in accepting Cubs QO?

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Wieters is also accepting his QO
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:35 pm

So does any of this have to do with the CBA expiring next December? Take your $15m this season because there's no point in taking a 3-4 year deal for less average pay when you might miss all of 2017 anyway and/or fight for a greater share of the pie starting in that season.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:So does any of this have to do with the CBA expiring next December? Take your $15m this season because there's no point in taking a 3-4 year deal for less average pay when you might miss all of 2017 anyway and/or fight for a greater share of the pie starting in that season.

In Wieters case I think it's more about wanting a 5 or 6 years deal next year if he has good season this year. He was probably only going to get 3/45, 4/60 max. He shows he's healthy again and next year he could pull 5/85, 6/100.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:30 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:So does any of this have to do with the CBA expiring next December? Take your $15m this season because there's no point in taking a 3-4 year deal for less average pay when you might miss all of 2017 anyway and/or fight for a greater share of the pie starting in that season.

I've not paid any attention to CBA talk yet, is it looking like a strike is likely or something?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:42 pm

davell wrote:

I've not paid any attention to CBA talk yet, is it looking like a strike is likely or something?

Just some chatter about agents saying the players' share has shrunk and they should insist on returning to the old levels.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Brett Anderson accepted the QO.

Dex turned it down, as did the rest.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 pm

i told this story before, but i met a guy who played minor league ball for a while and i guess was in the dominican or venezuelan league or something w/rasmus. Said before and after he games he writes his own raps
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:

i told this story before, but i met a guy who played minor league ball for a while and i guess was in the dominican or venezuelan league or something w/rasmus. Said before and after he games he writes his own raps

would pay top dollar to get my hands on some of those

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:14 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:

"My name's Cool-B and I'm here to say, I'm the rappingest player in the MLB".

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:17 am

MWV wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:

"My name's Cool-B and I'm here to say, I'm the rappingest player in the MLB".

Followed by an exasperated sigh and the sound of him crossing something out on a notepad
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Return to “Transactions”