Today's wish list...

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: Today's wish list...

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm

I kinda would't mind Austin Jackson back as our 4th/5th OF, depending on price, and selling off Coghlan for whatever we could get. I think what he provides as the back up OF is greater than what Coghlan would provide with how the roster is set up as of today.
Screw Pitchers

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:21 pm

I'm 100% happy with where the team is at right now. If they stopped their offseason today I'd be the happiest I've been in the last 10 years with a Cubs offseason. But like others have stated they can still do SO much more. We've added four quality pieces and are now the #1 projected team in baseball by a fair margin without trading any prospects or youngsters (save for Castro, but the return was good). That's ridiculous.

What's even more crazy is some of those coveted young players/prospects are now expendable and they could add even more talent if they wanted. And they absolutely should. There are so many options available I can't even pick a dream trade to play around with that I like more than another.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 pm

Tim wrote:If we can both trade Hammel for prospects and still start Hammel, I'm for option 3.

I'm taking a shot with Warren, and keeping the other kids to backlog a bit
Spoiler: show

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:27 pm

I now want all the Cubans.

ALL OF THEM

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:29 pm

But seriously, maybe Theo can volunteer to mediate between the US and Cuba and make their national team part of our farm system as part of the deal.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:35 pm

- Cuban arms
- RHH or at least LHPH OF that can spot in CF
- Coghlan for the best ML pitcher, SP or reliever, he gets

A big trade for a SP doesn't have to happen, but it would be fun.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm all for letting the bottom of the rotation work itself out and if it doesn't, trade for Sonny.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 am

yeah, on paper we should certainly be strong enough to make the playoffs as constructed, and there is plenty of depth at SP. i don't think we need to build a theoretically invincible team on paper. probably the only move i think should be made is to deal coghlan for whatever, since there's really not much need for him and he's a lousy defender in the outfield. deal him, make sure you have an extra outfielder who can play defense, then call it an offseason. go into the year with a plan of arrieta, lester, lackey, hammel, hendricks. if guys underperform or get hurt, use depth and prospects to make trades.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:37 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:yeah, on paper we should certainly be strong enough to make the playoffs as constructed, and there is plenty of depth at SP. i don't think we need to build a theoretically invincible team on paper. probably the only move i think should be made is to deal coghlan for whatever, since there's really not much need for him and he's a lousy defender in the outfield. deal him, make sure you have an extra outfielder who can play defense, then call it an offseason. go into the year with a plan of arrieta, lester, lackey, hammel, hendricks. if guys underperform or get hurt, use depth and prospects to make trades.

Agreed. And I'm all for signing Austin Jackson if he is affordable/doesn't have a full-time gig elsewhere. Maybe he'll take a slight discount to come back - especially with the familiarity with this team.

I wouldn't change anything with this offseason so far (except maybe wishing there was a Lackey-level FA talent that could have been had on Lackey's contract that wasn't actually John Lackey, but at this point I'm whatevs). That being said, I'm going to miss Fowler and Castro a whole lot. 2015 Cubs baseball is always going to hold a special place in my heart. I guess if nothing else it gives me a reason to follow them and their new team and maybe I'll be more interested in watching more non-Cubs MLB games that I have been in light of that. And I (perhaps even irrationally) REALLY don't want to trade Montero because I [expletive] love that dude a lot.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:38 am

dp

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:00 am

weis21 wrote:I wouldn't change anything with this offseason so far (except maybe wishing there was a Lackey-level FA talent that could have been had on Lackey's contract that wasn't actually John Lackey, but at this point I'm whatevs).

This is not a valid complaint. "Whatevs" is the correct response.

Seriously, this is the best Cubs off-season in my 26 years on this planet. I could not complain if I tried.

It's funny, all I wanted was a decent starting pitcher. I wanted Price, but if you told me we were gonna get Lackey, Heyward, and Zobrist... I wouldn't even have believed you. For once, the front office of a Chicago sport team actually exceeded expectations.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:14 am

i'm 100 percent on board with getting a good pitcher on a short term contract and signing heyward for long term. the opt-out is definitely a bad thing for the cubs - he gets more expensive if he plays really well, and he hangs around if he sucks. but he's a very good player in his mid 20s and isn't likely to decline anytime soon. the i'm not sure where the cubs are right now in terms of payroll capability, but the prospect of having two pitchers in their 30s eating up $55 million of the payroll is mildly terrifying, especially when we will probably need a dump truck full of cash to cover arbitration raises of guys like bryant, russell, and maybe soler and schwarber.

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:58 am

Tim wrote:Seriously, though, unless the offer is overwhelming I'd prefer the Cubs just hang onto the young dongers.

Definitely. I want to see it all come together now.

And wait, did Tim nail the 8/$184M?

MarkR
Role Player

Postby MarkR » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:02 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:i'm 100 percent on board with getting a good pitcher on a short term contract and signing heyward for long term. the opt-out is definitely a bad thing for the cubs - he gets more expensive if he plays really well, and he hangs around if he sucks. but he's a very good player in his mid 20s and isn't likely to decline anytime soon. the i'm not sure where the cubs are right now in terms of payroll capability, but the prospect of having two pitchers in their 30s eating up $55 million of the payroll is mildly terrifying, especially when we will probably need a dump truck full of cash to cover arbitration raises of guys like bryant, russell, and maybe soler and schwarber.

I see your point about it being solely beneficial for Heyward, but the way the 2018 FA class stacks up, he may opt out and (if there's money available) sign someone else. That class is stacked.

But yeah, i'm not sure if we'll have money if we lock up Arrieta and when our studs hit arbitration.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:25 am

hawkeyecub wrote:
Tim wrote:Seriously, though, unless the offer is overwhelming I'd prefer the Cubs just hang onto the young dongers.

Definitely. I want to see it all come together now.

And wait, did Tim nail the 8/$184M?

I did, but I can't take any credit. I just used the Fangraphs crowdsourced contract estimates.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:29 am

I know it's far-fetched and unlikely but my last remaining moves, in a perfect offseason, would be figuring out a way to trade Coghlan and a mess of prospects (Torres, Jeimer, Edwards/Underwood, etc.) for either Odorizzi and McGee or Gausman and then convince Fowler to come back on a 1-2 year deal to be the back-up OF.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:33 am

MarkR wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:i'm 100 percent on board with getting a good pitcher on a short term contract and signing heyward for long term. the opt-out is definitely a bad thing for the cubs - he gets more expensive if he plays really well, and he hangs around if he sucks. but he's a very good player in his mid 20s and isn't likely to decline anytime soon. the i'm not sure where the cubs are right now in terms of payroll capability, but the prospect of having two pitchers in their 30s eating up $55 million of the payroll is mildly terrifying, especially when we will probably need a dump truck full of cash to cover arbitration raises of guys like bryant, russell, and maybe soler and schwarber.

I see your point about it being solely beneficial for Heyward, but the way the 2018 FA class stacks up, he may opt out and (if there's money available) sign someone else. That class is stacked.

But yeah, i'm not sure if we'll have money if we lock up Arrieta and when our studs hit arbitration.

Yeah, Heyward has the upperhand with the opt out now, but we won't know if its a bad thing for the Cubs until after the whole thing comes and passes. If, say, he helps us win 3 rings and then opts out, cashes in with whichever team loses out on Harper, then watches as we plug in Jiminez or someone else who is younger, cheaper, and potentially better at that point in time and helps us win our 4th straight...... basically what I'm saying is, is both sides can come out winners, right?

If he mashes the next 3 years and we don't win any rings, he opts out and leaves us without a suitable replacement... then yeah. That would suck. But I think Theo has earned our trust to this point, so I'm not going to second guess these opt outs until I see them happen first.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:35 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I know it's far-fetched and unlikely but my last remaining moves, in a perfect offseason, would be figuring out a way to trade Coghlan and a mess of prospects (Torres, Jeimer, Edwards/Underwood, etc.) for either Odorizzi and McGee or Gausman and then convince Fowler to come back on a 1-2 year deal to be the back-up OF.

Maybe Joe Torre would manage Iowa for us too?

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:37 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I know it's far-fetched and unlikely but my last remaining moves, in a perfect offseason, would be figuring out a way to trade Coghlan and a mess of prospects (Torres, Jeimer, Edwards/Underwood, etc.) for either Odorizzi and McGee or Gausman and then convince Fowler to come back on a 1-2 year deal to be the back-up OF.

Maybe Joe Torre would manage Iowa for us too?

I said it was far-fetched, but there's still a lot of guys ahead of him to sign and with next years FA class being so crappy maybe they could convince him to come back on a 1 year deal, hopefully be a part of something special, and cash in next year.
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:48 pm

I suppose what caught me off guard was your suggestion he would be the 4th outfielder. IF Dexter would accept the QO to come back, I have the feeling we wouldn't want a nearly $16mil asset on the bench for most of the game. It would almost certainly mean a trade of Soler.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:56 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I suppose what caught me off guard was your suggestion he would be the 4th outfielder. IF Dexter would accept the QO to come back, I have the feeling we wouldn't want a nearly $16mil asset on the bench for most of the game. It would almost certainly mean a trade of Soler.

Yeah I mean it's unlikely but he was here last year to experience it first hand with Joe shuffling guys all around "4th" OF on this team is really in name only. He'd probably start nearly ever game against LHP and probably would appear in about every game he didn't start for defense later in the game. Obviously he's a starting caliber OF, but if his market never materializes maybe they could talk him in to coming back if we make other moves yet. Again it's highly unlikely but if the FO is truly not done yet you could see a scenario with him coming back.
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Yes. I see a scenario in him coming back, but it includes us trading Soler, putting Heyward in RF and Fowler in CF. I realize you said "in a perfect offseason" but realistically, we can't keep them all. If Fowler is on this team then he is the starting CF every game, pretty much.

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:49 pm

It should be noted that Heyward only gets to opt out if he plays a certain number of games. If he gets hurt, he does not get to opt out.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:It should be noted that Heyward only gets to opt out if he plays a certain number of games. If he gets hurt, he does not get to opt out.

The distinction isn't likely to be all that meaningful though, if Heyward misses a chunk of time with injury he's even less likely to want to opt out. The exact details will be really crucial on his deal for a lot of reasons.

squally1313
Starter

Postby squally1313 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:09 pm

I know Coghlan makes a bit more money than you would like for a back up outfielder, but assuming we're alright on the financial side as things currently stand, I wouldn't mind him sticking around. If we are going to stick with Heyward in center, I'm still somewhat hesitant about handing over 600 PAs in RF to Soler. He's had lingering injury problems in the past, usually struggles in the cold weather, and really outside of the last few weeks wasn't entirely impressive in 2015. Keeping Coghlan around to spot start against the tougher righties, or as a pinch hitter late in games seems to hold a decent amount of value. Sign an all glove outfielder for the 5th spot and call it a day out there (unless Baez thrives there and can fill that role too).

The only other variable with this is that Coghlan complained last year about how he thought he was playing well enough to be a starter (which, in his defense, he was). Joe/Theo would have to convince him to buy into that role.

Return to “Transactions”