Cubs Sign John Lackey - 2 years $32M per Rosenthal

David
Hall of Fame

Cubs Sign John Lackey - 2 years $32M per Rosenthal

Postby David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Last edited by David on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Re: Lackey

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm

GROSS.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:34 pm

I'd like him to neither go to the Cubs or Cardinals...but if he had to go to one of those, I'd rather it be us.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:36 pm

David wrote:I'd like him to neither go to the Cubs or Cardinals...but if he had to go to one of those, I'd rather it be us.

With two cancer survivors on the team I think that is a recipe for disaster in the clubhouse.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:I'd like him to neither go to the Cubs or Cardinals...but if he had to go to one of those, I'd rather it be us.

With two cancer survivors on the team I think that is a recipe for disaster in the clubhouse.

ha

TarzanJoeWallis
Role Player

Postby TarzanJoeWallis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:40 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Isn't one of the cancer survivors (Lester) one of his best friends?

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Boourns
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:41 pm

TarzanJoeWallis wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Isn't one of the cancer survivors (Lester) one of his best friends?

p sure he was joking

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Aside from the massive difference between his ERA and FIP in 2015, he's basically the same pitcher statistically as Iwamura, Chen & Kazmir. They are all younger and nicer.
Spoiler: show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Cafardo feels the Cubs and Giants have the best chance at signing John Lackey, who wants to remain in the National League. The Cardinals have also “kept their toes in the water” for his services. The Red Sox have checked in on Lackey but are more focused on landing an ace starter.

ScrubMD
All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:34 pm

What's John Rocker up to these days? Him and Papelbon could shore up the bullpen.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:41 pm

If this is setting up to where Shark or Lackey are the second best pitcher we add this off season, count me in as very happy.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:22 pm

He better be second best

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 am

I could live with Shark and Lackey. Ironically, now that we're actually good, I can see the case for restraint and not needing to go after the tippest-toppest talent.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:38 am

A friend of mine was from Abilene when Lackey was in HS and called him the biggest douche he has ever met. #CSB

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:40 am

[expletive] him, no
Screw Pitchers

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I could live with Shark and Lackey. Ironically, now that we're actually good, I can see the case for restraint and not needing to go after the tippest-toppest talent.

Yea. It's only been 100+ years so let's not try our best

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:36 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I could live with Shark and Lackey. Ironically, now that we're actually good, I can see the case for restraint and not needing to go after the tippest-toppest talent.

Yea. It's only been 100+ years so let's not try our best

There were 33 players who put up 5 fWAR or more last year. The Cubs return 4 of those players, no other team returns more than 2(Heyward, Cespedes, Price, Greinke, and Davis are all FA). That's on top of a plethora of high ceiling youngsters like Schwarber, Soler, Russell, and Baez who could take big steps next year.

The moral of the story here is that the Cubs are not hurting for high end talent. You of course always want the best players you can, but the 2016 Cubs are not going to fail for lack of upside. Instead, the larger threats are with depth, specifically pitching depth since the upper levels of the minor leagues are pretty barren with contingencies. That means if faced between the choice of getting say, one top of the market guy and 1-2 other pitchers, or getting two intermediate guys and 1-2 others, the better choice for the 2016 Cubs is the latter.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Yes, what TT said. I don't think everyone is nearly as cognizant as they need to be of how ridiculously healthy the rotation stayed all season. You just can't count on that to continue and there have to be contingency plans. Two legit mid level guys plus depth, while not flashy, is likely a better idea than one big name and filler after that, at least in the near term.
I like beer.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:55 pm

mul21 wrote:Yes, what TT said. I don't think everyone is nearly as cognizant as they need to be of how ridiculously healthy the rotation stayed all season. You just can't count on that to continue and there have to be contingency plans. Two legit mid level guys plus depth, while not flashy, is likely a better idea than one big name and filler after that, at least in the near term.

I will say though, not to discount how much of their health was by design. Pitchers are going to get hurt, but I think some of that health is residue of intentional decisions. Lester and Hendricks specifically made a big difference this past year, and the durability in the past of arms like Wood and Jackson shouldn't be overlooked either. It's no surprise then that the names that they're getting attached to are arms that are pretty free of injury like Price and Samardzija; and not similar caliber players like Cueto, Iwakuma, or even Zimmermann.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Shark-Lackey would be ok to me. I was thinking worst case we can be active at the deadline if either of them don't pan out as we would hypothetically hold onto our position player assets.

Getting Price would be amazing but it does seem to make sense to get 2 starters for the price of a Price.
Dare to dream....

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Lackey

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 pm

I get all of that TT, but I want more then anything a WS win with an undeniable team. And Price or Greinke adds depth. Even if it's top end.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:19 am

ScrubMD wrote:What's John Rocker up to these days? Him and Papelbon could shore up the bullpen.

Last time I saw John Rocker he was getting voted off the island on Survivor! :lol:

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:34 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:I get all of that TT, but I want more then anything a WS win with an undeniable team. And Price or Greinke adds depth. Even if it's top end.

We can not sign either of those two guys and still win the WS. Deniable teams win it all the time.

Return to “Transactions”