2015 Winter Meetings Thread

User avatar
TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 50813
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:47 am
Location: Perth, W.A.
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:55 pm


User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby The Logan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Do people still think Casey Kelly is an important prospect?
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby davell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:29 pm

The Logan wrote:Do people still think Casey Kelly is an important prospect?


I hope not.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby The Logan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:56 pm

davell wrote:
The Logan wrote:Do people still think Casey Kelly is an important prospect?


I hope not.


I feel like like every year there's reports or people overvaluing him immensely like he's some sort of heralded talent. Even at his most hyped I still didn't think he was anything special
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Maybe it is time to start a "WTF Dave Stewart" thread.

MLBTR wrote:With the Rangers reportedly adding reliever Tony Barnette, there’s yet more reason to believe the club could strike a deal involving one of its young pen assets, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News writes. The Diamondbacks have widely been tabbed as one pursuer, and Grant says that Arizona is eyeing late-inning hurlers Shawn Tolleson and Keone Kela. Though the D’Backs are said to be hesitant to part with young righty Archie Bradley, Grant says that exactly who Texas is eyeing in trade talks.
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
Starter
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:23 pm

So the Padres may or may not be shopping one of Hedges or Norris. How could you not be interested?

User avatar
TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 50813
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:47 am
Location: Perth, W.A.
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:51 am

Tim wrote:Maybe it is time to start a "WTF Dave Stewart" thread.

MLBTR wrote:With the Rangers reportedly adding reliever Tony Barnette, there’s yet more reason to believe the club could strike a deal involving one of its young pen assets, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News writes. The Diamondbacks have widely been tabbed as one pursuer, and Grant says that Arizona is eyeing late-inning hurlers Shawn Tolleson and Keone Kela. Though the D’Backs are said to be hesitant to part with young righty Archie Bradley, Grant says that exactly who Texas is eyeing in trade talks.


after the last trade that stewart made, i have no doubt that his phone has been ringing red hot from teams asking what it would take to pry away bradley.

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18605
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby XZero77 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:04 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:
Tim wrote:Maybe it is time to start a "WTF Dave Stewart" thread.

MLBTR wrote:With the Rangers reportedly adding reliever Tony Barnette, there’s yet more reason to believe the club could strike a deal involving one of its young pen assets, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News writes. The Diamondbacks have widely been tabbed as one pursuer, and Grant says that Arizona is eyeing late-inning hurlers Shawn Tolleson and Keone Kela. Though the D’Backs are said to be hesitant to part with young righty Archie Bradley, Grant says that exactly who Texas is eyeing in trade talks.


after the last trade that stewart made, i have no doubt that his phone has been ringing red hot from teams asking what it would take to pry away bradley.


I remember back in high school there was a vending machine in the cafeteria that one day, inexplicably, started dispensing five or six sodas at a time instead of one. Word got out, and there was a rush on the thing until it was empty.

That's probably something like what is going on with Stewart right now.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6249
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:32 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:48 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:So the Padres may or may not be shopping one of Hedges or Norris. How could you not be interested?


Trade for Norris would need a taker for Montero to clear enough salary for Heyward.

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm
Location: the final frontier

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby seanimal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 am

Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:So the Padres may or may not be shopping one of Hedges or Norris. How could you not be interested?


Trade for Norris would need a taker for Montero to clear enough salary for Heyward.


lol no
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

User avatar
ctcf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25527
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:33 am
Location: Derplyn
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby ctcf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Apparently the Mets.com transactions page briefly listed Michael Cuddyer as having retired earlier, but has since changed back. Mets twitter is depressingly excited about this.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:29 pm

XZero77 wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:
Tim wrote:Maybe it is time to start a "WTF Dave Stewart" thread.

MLBTR wrote:With the Rangers reportedly adding reliever Tony Barnette, there’s yet more reason to believe the club could strike a deal involving one of its young pen assets, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News writes. The Diamondbacks have widely been tabbed as one pursuer, and Grant says that Arizona is eyeing late-inning hurlers Shawn Tolleson and Keone Kela. Though the D’Backs are said to be hesitant to part with young righty Archie Bradley, Grant says that exactly who Texas is eyeing in trade talks.


after the last trade that stewart made, i have no doubt that his phone has been ringing red hot from teams asking what it would take to pry away bradley.


I remember back in high school there was a vending machine in the cafeteria that one day, inexplicably, started dispensing five or six sodas at a time instead of one. Word got out, and there was a rush on the thing until it was empty.

That's probably something like what is going on with Stewart right now.


This seems a bit more apt:

https://youtu.be/Fnvs_L-s0Jw
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

User avatar
Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter
Posts: 25222
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:41 am
Location: Baseball Hell

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:15 am

The Logan wrote:
davell wrote:
The Logan wrote:Do people still think Casey Kelly is an important prospect?


I hope not.


I feel like like every year there's reports or people overvaluing him immensely like he's some sort of heralded talent. Even at his most hyped I still didn't think he was anything special



Did anybody still think Jake Arrieta was an important prospect 2 years ago?

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby The Logan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:43 am

Little Slide Rooter wrote:
The Logan wrote:
davell wrote:
The Logan wrote:Do people still think Casey Kelly is an important prospect?


I hope not.


I feel like like every year there's reports or people overvaluing him immensely like he's some sort of heralded talent. Even at his most hyped I still didn't think he was anything special



Did anybody still think Jake Arrieta was an important prospect 2 years ago?


No, because Jake Arrieta had thrown 300+ innings and wasn't a prospect.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Astros are sending Appel to the Phillies in the Giles trade
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Mark Appel now going to Phils in the Giles trade. Remember when he was a thing?
Dare to dream....
Image

abuck1220
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21478
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:03 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby abuck1220 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:
The Logan wrote:
davell wrote:
The Logan wrote:Do people still think Casey Kelly is an important prospect?


I hope not.


I feel like like every year there's reports or people overvaluing him immensely like he's some sort of heralded talent. Even at his most hyped I still didn't think he was anything special



Did anybody still think Jake Arrieta was an important prospect 2 years ago?


awful

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:24 pm

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status ... wsrc%5Etfw

this pleases me...i dont want to have to face him that many times a year
Image

toonsterwu
All-Star
Posts: 3878
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:10 am

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:25 pm

A Kelly now -Arrieta then comparison seems a bit odd. Kelly had TJ a couple years back and some other physical issues, and the stuff, at last check, seemed to have backed up a bit. Arrieta was more experienced and had peripherals that suggested that some tinkering could bring about positive results. It's possible that, with more time away from TJ, Kelly might regain his former stuff. It's a good gamble for the Braves - heck, hard to classify that trade as a loss for them overall considering Bethancourt simply never figured it out offensively.

The Giles trade is why I absolutely hate dealing for pen arms. I guess if you feel like you are that close, it makes some sense, but geesh, that's a lot for Giles. Ken Giles wasn't Ken Giles until he became Ken Giles - Giles command was a mess, and his slider didn't develop, and both things basically only took off until he hit the bigs. Point is, every system has guys floundering about that often could thrive with a move to the pen/with some new instruction. I get why he was costly, and I think he'll be good ... but I still feel like that's too much to give up for Giles, particularly after the Appel/Fisher switch (Fisher, while the positional asset, was riskier and Appel's upside is still plenty solid and he's far closer to helping). Appel also pitched fairly well the 2nd half of last year and looked like a potential mid-rotation arm. I'm not convinced you couldn't have found a late inning pen arm in Velasquez or Appel for 2016 that would have been just fine, if you wanted to go that route. I get why the Astros did it, but boy, for an organization that floundered under Amaro for many years, their summer trades and now have really restocked the system fast.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49202
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Location: Puget Sound

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:05 pm

David wrote:https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/675755201345753088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

this pleases me...i dont want to have to face him that many times a year


Davis is the one FA I'd like to see the Cardinals sign the most, tbh. He might have another 7 win season in him but he's a scary guy to give a long term contract to. One tool guys generally don't have the most graceful aging curves, especially if that tool is power.

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Image

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby David » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
David wrote:https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/675755201345753088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

this pleases me...i dont want to have to face him that many times a year


Davis is the one FA I'd like to see the Cardinals sign the most, tbh. He might have another 7 win season in him but he's a scary guy to give a long term contract to. One tool guys generally don't have the most graceful aging curves, especially if that tool is power.


i knew this would be a reply and i still want nothing to do with him mashing dongs all over us

let's keep the cardinals nice and punch and judy
Image

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:03 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Mark Appel now going to Phils in the Giles trade. Remember when he was a thing?


Thank you Houston.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Lol, what

Screw Pitchers

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
Starter
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: 2015 Winter Meetings Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:11 pm

I still really like Appel, but Giles is a beast and the rest of what Phillies got is pretty ho hum. Appel's probably their best shot at a first division starter in that trade and his bandwagon's pretty light these days.

---

Yelich is basically Heyward without the crazy good defense and/or baserunning. Point and laugh at the Nats.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest