Starlin Traded to Yankees for Adam Warren & Brendan Ryan

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Re: Starlin Traded to Yankees for Adam Warren & Brendan Ryan

Postby Exile on Waveland » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:20 am

bukie wrote:
MWV wrote:
bukie wrote:My 8-year-old son is crushed.

Same here.

Like, I mean, the kid is devastated. He's worn #13 and played SS ever since he started playing T-ball 5 years ago, and he's got Castro cards and posters all over his room, and he met Castro last year during ST.

Damn, that sucks, sorry. I certainly don't have the emotional attachment to players I did as a child, but I'm still bummed to see Castro go (especially, for him, after the first taste of team success). But the trade makes a lot of sense, even more so in conjunction with yesterday's other move.
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:54 am

Maybe this has been covered already but what value does Ryan bring?
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:57 am

Old Style wrote:Maybe this has been covered already but what value does Ryan bring?

Probably serves as a cheaper utility guy in case Coghlan gets traded to clear space for Heyward.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:58 am

Old Style wrote:Maybe this has been covered already but what value does Ryan bring?

A fairly short last name that shall likely save a nanosecond of someone's time when typing that he's been DFA'd.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:58 am

allows us to DFA someone in a few weeks

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:01 am

He's a grittier Herrera.
Spoiler: show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:25 am

Does Warren make 500k next year or is he an arb guy? If so, any projections?

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:26 am

David wrote:Does Warren make 500k next year or is he an arb guy? If so, any projections?

mlbtr has him at $1.5M
Spoiler: show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:37 am

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:43 am

GREAT NOW YOU MADE RIZZO SAD WTG THEO
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:01 am

Not too sad to put his tiny face front in center in a supposed tribute to Castro.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:11 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Not too sad to put his tiny face front in center in a supposed tribute to Castro.

Couldn't even get his full name in the damn pic. Jerk.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:15 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Not too sad to put his tiny face front in center in a supposed tribute to Castro.

Couldn't even get his full name in the damn pic. Jerk.

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

badger
5-Time All-Star

Postby badger » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:17 am

whenever I see those words together I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-YdgKMnIFg

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:21 am

Tim wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Assuming there isn't an injury to the starting rotation and we go into the year with Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hendricks, Hammel would it be hard to imagine him starting the year in AAA to get regular starts? Does he have options left?

This is only an educated guess and when the Cub Reporter/AZ Phil updates their 40 man we'll know for sure, but I believe Warren is in the same boat as Grimm and Brothers. They have options, but they have to pass through Optional Assignment Waivers (which are revocable) in order to be sent down. In the case of Brothers that's probably not a huge barrier, but it seems likely that someone would try to claim Grimm or Warren so it's probably best to assume they can't be sent to Iowa.

For the sake of completeness, but at the risk of a rebuke from sneaky, Hendricks could still be sent down.

he could, but i'll happily bet you this year's RK MLB 1st he won't be

DiceMan4221
Starter

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 am

I was on team "DFA Castro, he's worthless" during mid season. When I heard he was traded immediately after signing Zobrist, I assumed it was a total salary dump. The more I read about Warren (especially the Fangraphs pitch fx breakdown) the more glad I am that I am not in charge of the Cubs. Stuff-wise, Warren is probably our #4 SP. And a good one at that!
And who, according to Showalter, best exemplifies high-buttedness? Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee. "I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I say, Wow."

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:53 am

Slide Castro Slide wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:So, reading through the articles now, I'm left mildly curious if we'll ever find out how it actually went down. I believe Jesse Rogers noted that the Cubs proposed Castro for Warren early, but the Yankees said no. That said, over at the NYPost, either Davidoff or Sherman (don't recall right now) suggests that the Cubs kept pushing for Brett Gardner, but eventually fell back to Adam Warren, which Cashman agreed to because "you gotta give to get" (or something like that).

All in all, not like it matters much, but am curious.

It's called haggling. We agreed to take stupid Brent Lillibridge, or whatever the hell his stupid, white name is off their hands.

huh? That wasn't my point at all. And it's Brendan Ryan. But, my curiosity was that if the NYPost writer was correct, and that the original pursuit was Brett Gardner, that it could be a sign of the Cubs intent as it pertains to the rest of FA. Or, as noted, it could mean squat ... but no, my point wasn't to make some comment about haggling.

BigSlick
5-Time All-Star

Postby BigSlick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:57 am

It was nice that he got to redeem his 2015 a little bit at the end of the year, and had some nice moments in the playoffs.

I never formed the same bond with Castro that most of y'all did because from about 2012 to 2014 I was for the most part tuned out, which was extremely nice. Hope for the best for him out there, but I don't like the sound of the New York media and Castro put together, there might be some gnashing of teeth there.

Don't really know what the return is like. Adam Warren seems...decent. Feels like we got a half dozen swing-type guys now with Clayton Richard, Travis Wood, Trevor Cahill and now Warren.
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:04 am

I have this feeling that we'll bring Starlin back at the 2024 trade deadline or through a waiver trade or something. He'll finish his career with a ring with us as backup 3B/2B.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:45 am

BigSlick wrote:It was nice that he got to redeem his 2015 a little bit at the end of the year, and had some nice moments in the playoffs.

I never formed the same bond with Castro that most of y'all did because from about 2012 to 2014 I was for the most part tuned out, which was extremely nice. Hope for the best for him out there, but I don't like the sound of the New York media and Castro put together, there might be some gnashing of teeth there.

Don't really know what the return is like. Adam Warren seems...decent. Feels like we got a half dozen swing-type guys now with Clayton Richard, Travis Wood, Trevor Cahill and now Warren.

Warren >> Wood >> Cahill and Richard

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:01 pm

I will be very disappointed if we go into the regular season with Hammel in the rotation.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 pm

If a Yankees perspective matters, the feedback I've seen on the trade from their blogs is that they definitely hate to lose Warren, but they have absolutely no objections to the trade and some think they semi-fleeced the Cubs (or at least feel like they took advantage of the Cubs preceived need to dump salary). Especially when you factor in the Cubs taking back Ryan, who was basically Aaron Miles circa 2009 for them.
Dare to dream....

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Rondon Fan wrote:I will be very disappointed if we go into the regular season with Hammel in the rotation.

That seems odd to me. You would be unhappy if the Cubs signed Heyward and then went into the season with basically the same line up as last year, minus Fowler and Castro and plus Heyward, Zobrist and Lackey?

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:08 pm

BigbadB wrote:
Rondon Fan wrote:I will be very disappointed if we go into the regular season with Hammel in the rotation.

That seems odd to me. You would be unhappy if the Cubs signed Heyward and then went into the season with basically the same line up as last year, minus Fowler and Castro and plus Heyward, Zobrist and Lackey?

I suppose come playoff time it wouldn't make much of a difference and Hammel could do his typical "first half awesomeness" thing, but it just feels like keeping Hendricks/Hammel as your 4/5 is ignoring a major problem.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 pm

BigbadB wrote:

I'm all for benching him until August so we get his 3 productive months at the right time.
Dare to dream....

Return to “Transactions”