Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: Starlin Traded to Yankees for Adam Warren & Brendan Ryan

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:31 pm

ConstableRabbit wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:Incredible letter by Starlin. He really did grow up before our eyes. A class act.

It's almost difficult to believe he wrote it.

Maybe. I do know several people with poor spoken English who are excellent writers. It's not like it was particularly well-written as is and it was posted by a publication that has an editorial staff vs. on his his instagram or something, so I think it's possible that it wasn't ghostwritten.

For me it was less of a language thing and more that I doubt any athlete actually wrote it when something like that comes out.

Now I'm curious -- why not?

Because most athletes are big dumb dummies.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:51 pm

and the 2 or 3 of them that can managed coherent tweets are considered outliers.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:28 pm

I don't care if he wrote it or not, or how much of a hand he had in it -- it still was very touching and made me sad. I haven't been sad about him leaving... like, at all. Now I am.

It's not that I didn't like him or wanted to see him gone or anything. I've just been kinda detached. Good baseball move; thanks for your time, Starlin. On to the next one. But that made me all sentimental and emotional, and made me feel all those other horrible, you know, feelings.

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:10 pm

He obviously wrote the letter in Spanish and had it translated.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:08 pm

[expletive] you guys for ruining this and somebody PM me if something not sad comes out of this thread plz.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Irishoshea21
Starter

Postby Irishoshea21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:45 am

Rondon Fan wrote:He obviously wrote the letter in Spanish and had it translated.

No way.

A real writer asked him a few questions (tell me what you remember from your debut, favorite memories, thoughts on the fans, etc.) he gave some quotes and then the writer crafted it into that. Using some quotes and then filling in the rest.

It's fine for what it is, but what's off putting to me about the players tribune thing is that it's supposed to be straight from the player. It's not really that at all.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 am

Irishoshea21 wrote:
Rondon Fan wrote:He obviously wrote the letter in Spanish and had it translated.

No way.

A real writer asked him a few questions (tell me what you remember from your debut, favorite memories, thoughts on the fans, etc.) he gave some quotes and then the writer crafted it into that. Using some quotes and then filling in the rest.

It's fine for what it is, but what's off putting to me about the players tribune thing is that it's supposed to be straight from the player. It's not really that at all.

Ghostwritten stories are still consistent with what the Player's Tribune is supposed to be. It's aiming to be the player's side of the story, free from media interpretation/spin/narrative. If they have someone help them craft their narrative, it still fulfills that main goal.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:16 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Irishoshea21 wrote:

No way.

Ghostwritten stories are still consistent with what the Player's Tribune is supposed to be. It's aiming to be the player's side of the story, free from media interpretation/spin/narrative. If they have someone help them craft their narrative, it still fulfills that main goal.

It's a PR firm. This is not free from spin, it's spun by professional image shapers. It doesn't fulfill anything other than disseminating PR created press releases.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:54 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Irishoshea21 wrote:

No way.

It's a PR firm. This is not free from spin, it's spun by professional image shapers. It doesn't fulfill anything other than disseminating PR created press releases.

I'm not trying to indicate otherwise. The point is it is the player's spin, not filtered through the lens or bias of the team, league, or media that would otherwise be speaking on their behalf or quoting them in constructing a story. That's the purpose behind the Player's Tribune.

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:09 pm

who cares if his fingers actually touched the keys. it's his sentiment. what a weird debate

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 pm

yanrslatr wrote:who cares if his fingers actually touched the keys. it's his sentiment. what a weird debate

everybody knows Castro loves Cubs fans, what this thread presupposes is, maybe he doesn't?

I think the guy probably looked back fondly on his time in Chicago and is ready to move on. But his agents/PR people felt like there was a lot to be gained by blowing smoke up the fans' collective butts so they had "him" write a story with flowery language and all the feels because baseball fans are suckers for the mythology of the game and how the players reciprocate their love but we have thankfully moved a bit beyond that in modern times.

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:49 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
yanrslatr wrote:who cares if his fingers actually touched the keys. it's his sentiment. what a weird debate

everybody knows Castro loves Cubs fans, what this thread presupposes is, maybe he doesn't?

I think the guy probably looked back fondly on his time in Chicago and is ready to move on. But his agents/PR people felt like there was a lot to be gained by blowing smoke up the fans' collective butts so they had "him" write a story with flowery language and all the feels because baseball fans are suckers for the mythology of the game and how the players reciprocate their love but we have thankfully moved a bit beyond that in modern times.

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:01 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

what a weird theory.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:09 pm

What's weird about it? He's right.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:09 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:28 pm

to be fair, it says Starlin Castro/Contributor at the end

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:35 pm

LOOK AT HOW TRADING STARLIN IS TEARING US APAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRT!!!
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm

He was forced by his PR team and the whole Cubs organization to agree to participate in the creation of that article because of the organizations multiple cover ups of off field issues.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:He was forced by his PR team and the whole Cubs organization to agree to participate in the creation of that article because of the organizations multiple cover ups of off field issues.

I'll bet they held a gun to his head to make his sign his name to it.

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:07 pm

weis21 wrote:to be fair, it says Starlin Castro/Contributor at the end

I feel like that's saying Starlin Castro, contributor to Player's Tribune. But maybe not.

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
Liam Neeson wrote:He was forced by his PR team and the whole Cubs organization to agree to participate in the creation of that article because of the organizations multiple cover ups of off field issues.

Starlin does have a way of being in the wrong place at the wrong time during the offseason.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
weis21 wrote:to be fair, it says Starlin Castro/Contributor at the end

I feel like that's saying Starlin Castro, contributor to Player's Tribune. But maybe not.

yeah, you could definitely be right. at first glance i took it to mean that he contributed to the article (i.e. contributed content but not the sole author). but your way makes total sense, too.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:

Starlin does have a way of being in the wrong place at the wrong time during the offseason.

You make an excellent point.

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:02 pm

After Castro was done writing this article by hand do you think he entrusted the USPS to ensure a successfully delivery or that the determination he showed through out his career made him travel to the Player's Tribune offices to personally hand the article over?

Can you guys speculate on this because it would truly break me emotionally if he mailed the letter.

Return to “Transactions”