Denard Span signs 3 year deal with Giants.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Denard Span signs 3 year deal with Giants.

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:53 pm

3 years for 31 million with possibly for incentives according to Ken Rosenthal. One less suitor for Fowler now.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Re: Denard Span signs 3 year deal with Giants.

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:44 pm

SFG has had a really good offseason. Not sure if FGs agrees or not, but they're pretty clearly the #2 team in the NL right now.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Tryptamine wrote:SFG has had a really good offseason. Not sure if FGs agrees or not, but they're pretty clearly the #2 team in the NL right now.

They are still behind the Cubs, Dodgers, Nats, and Mets on FG.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Tryptamine wrote:SFG has had a really good offseason. Not sure if FGs agrees or not, but they're pretty clearly the #2 team in the NL right now.

What in the world?

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:34 pm

David wrote:

What in the world?

Its the tryptamine talking

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:03 pm

I don't think the Giants are the 2nd best team currently in the NL, but I think it's closer than a 6 win gap that FG has them at with the Dodgers. Partially because I'm not remotely sold on Joc Pederson as a 3 WAR guy in 2016 or Yasiel Puig as a 4+ WAR guy. For that matter, they're also cutting Crawford's 4.7 down to 2.4 in 2016 and I'm not sure that'd be the case either. I get dropping it some, but I think he's consistently gotten better, so a drop off that much seems more than excessive. Kershaw at 7.8 seems right, but damn.....He can have an awesome season and not hit that mark by 2 wins himself.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm curious what Fowler is demanding for Span to come off so much earlier than him. I'm starting to wonder if Fowler may be the bat that stayed on the market too long, because the big name OF's will likely go before him. I'm thinking there's going to be a "rush" of deals in the next week or so, with things less than 2 months away from getting going.

Still sort of surprised that Span got a clean 3 years. Thought he would have to do 2 and maybe an easy option. If he's healthy, great fit and addition for the GIants.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:07 pm

I'm starting to think Dex ends up with the White Sox. 3 years seems the max they'll go for an OFer currently. Not getting Upton or Cespedes for that.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:34 am

In terms of Fowler, the team that makes some sense in the end would be the Nationals, if they wanted to spend. They could use an OF to give Taylor (and more importantly, Robles) some more time, but they could also go Gerardo Parra.

I wonder if he would be a big enough upgrade for Cleveland to consider. If the Orioles miss out on bigger targets, I guess I could see him as an option, although that's an odd fit.

Does feel like the market is dwindling in terms of teams that may value him high.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:03 am

Really like this deal for the Giants, but this still isn't as good as the Cubs signing Heyward.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:28 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Really like this deal for the Giants, but this still isn't as good as the Cubs signing Heyward.

you don't [expletive] say

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:01 am

David wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Really like this deal for the Giants, but this still isn't as good as the Cubs signing Heyward.

you don't [expletive] say

Nothing wrong with going out on a limb once in a while.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm betting he spends more days on the DL than games played.

Return to “Transactions”