Storen To Jays

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 pm

For Ben Revere, could take another team out of the running for Fowler
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: Storen To Jays

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:09 am

It's still hard to see Fowler signing a short term, prove it deal to come back. If he signs one of those, he's going to want AB's to prove himself to get back on the market.

On the whole, I I get the deal for both sides, but I'm not a huge fan of Revere. I think he'll be miscast as a CF (unless they slap him in LF, keep Taylor in CF and starting, and limit Werth's AB's? Doesn't sound like it right now.) He does enough offensively that you can see the offensive fit for need, but eh. They probably just don't want to commit the money to someone like Fowler right now, but on paper, Fowler and trading Storen for prospects seemed to make more sense.

The deal's a good one for Toronto. They get a good pen arm to bolster the pen, and they give up an asset where they had a capable replacement to give it a go.

SRQCub
Role Player

Postby SRQCub » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Like the deal for the Jays. Not as much from the Nats perspective.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:36 pm

toonsterwu wrote:It's still hard to see Fowler signing a short term, prove it deal to come back. If he signs one of those, he's going to want AB's to prove himself to get back on the market.

Even then, the have to move Soler to have room for Fowler to play daily, and it sure seems like they still believe in Soler.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:It's still hard to see Fowler signing a short term, prove it deal to come back. If he signs one of those, he's going to want AB's to prove himself to get back on the market.

Even then, the have to move Soler to have room for Fowler to play daily, and it sure seems like they still believe in Soler.

Yeah. Swapping Soler out of the lineup for Fowler (barring a very good return for Soler in an area of even slight need) is the type of downside limiting (and upside limiting) move this team doesn't at all need to make.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:03 pm

SRQCub wrote:Like the deal for the Jays. Not as much from the Nats perspective.

Yeah, I like this deal a lot for the Jays. And Storen gets out of DC finally. Good for both of them. Meanwhile the Nats now get a full season of Papelbon and Harper together.
formerly known as PriorPower

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Yeah, I like this deal a lot for the Jays. And Storen gets out of DC finally. Good for both of them. Meanwhile the Nats now get a full season of Papelbon and Harper together.
formerly known as PriorPower

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:52 am

Post Count Padder wrote:

Maybe it'll drive Bryce to demand a trade.
Spoiler: show

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:15 am

Supposedly they "made up" with a phone call or something.

Guessing part of the problem in Rizzo's mind is probably that he doesn't have many other late inning options to turn to as of now. There isn't much left in free agency, and the trade market has the some names that the Cubs are looking at.

That said, if they get any whiff of Bryce not wanting Papelbon around, my guess is that they send Papelbon packing. They might still do it anyways, once they realize no one really want Papelbon on a trade (could still see some teams take a gamble signing him on the cheap)

Return to “Transactions”