Yasiel Sierra close to deal with Dodgers

davell
Superstar

Yasiel Sierra close to deal with Dodgers

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 am

Sources: Dodgers and Cuban RHP Yaisel Sierra are nearing a deal. Believed to be for around $30M and would cover six or seven years.

Passan
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: Yasiel Sierra close to deal with Dodgers

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:11 am

Looks like they'll have the depth to swing that big deal whenever one becomes available for Friedman and Co.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:11 am

Another double post. Ugh. Uh ... wonder what the mid-season "big trade" market might entail? There's the obvious Jose Fernandez. A part of me does wonder if DiPoto might move Felix Hernandez if the right package came along. The 4 years/104 million left would scare off a lot of teams (there is that 2020 option as well, if Felix stays on the DL too long), but not the Dodgers. Then, there's the usual suspects,namely, San Diego, Cleveland, Tampa Bay. I wonder if Friedman threw the kitchen sink at Silverman, if Silverman would consider moving Archer on that sweet deal. Probably not.
Last edited by toonsterwu on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:12 am

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:13 am

Any baseball board could just leave up a Dodgers sign Cuban (x) sticky.
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:14 am

Damn, I really wanted him. More for the MLB readiness than thinking he will turn out to be anything more than a mid rotation/good bullpen arm, he would've been a really nice depth piece for the year.
Screw Pitchers

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:20 am

I'm really learning to hate the Dodgers.
Spoiler: show

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:23 am

We'll get a couple of their leftovers.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:28 am

We probably should pick a different offseason than the same one as the Dodgers the next time we decide/are able to go over the IFA budget.
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:31 am

At this point it's almost becoming negligent for SPs to take LA's money since they'll never get to pitch at the MLB level to earn another contract.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:33 am

Cubswin11 wrote:We probably should pick a different offseason than the same one as the Dodgers the next time we decide/are able to go over the IFA budget.

This is it. The system will change before there's another opportunity. Maybe a draft, but whatever it is, it won't allow a team to do what they're doing.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:36 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:At this point it's almost becoming negligent for SPs to take LA's money since they'll never get to pitch at the MLB level to earn another contract.

Eh, my guess is Sierra is in the pen or in the minors this year. Outside of Kershaw, the rest of their rotation all have injury concerns. They'll likely all get their share of starts, in my mind.

But I can definitely see them using Wood as part of a deal for a front line guy.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

I think the Dodgers will wait until the season to do a big trade to see how the pitchers coming back from injury shake out, but it really looks like they are accumulating assets to do a Gray, Fernandez/Ozuna, one of the Cleveland pitchers trades by the deadline.
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:51 am

davell wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:At this point it's almost becoming negligent for SPs to take LA's money since they'll never get to pitch at the MLB level to earn another contract.

Eh, my guess is Sierra is in the pen or in the minors this year. Outside of Kershaw, the rest of their rotation all have injury concerns. They'll likely all get their share of starts, in my mind.

But I can definitely see them using Wood as part of a deal for a front line guy.

Kershaw
Kazmir
Maeda
Anderson
Wood
Ryu
McCarthy

That's 7 guys who are owed real money and have a claim to a rotation spot. Then you have:

Beachy
Bolsinger
Cotton
Frias?
Lee
Montas?
Urias
De Leon

That's 8 more guys with a combination of past success, prospect pedigree, and results as a SP. A bunch of these guys won't end up factoring in, but when combined with the 2nd list, it means that Sierra has to scale TEN players with at least somewhat legitimate rotation aspirations, at least half of which have a significant investment and/or are more useful in the rotation than the bullpen.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:23 am

Assuming no moves, I think Kershaw/Kazmir/Maeda/Anderson have spots. If Ryu's healthy, he gets a spot. McCarthy's midseason, right? Or at least, he's not starting the year. That probably pushes Wood to AAA. It would seem a waste to stash him in the pen.

Sierra's just looking at immediate money, but in case they are going in depth, the org might be selling that only Kershaw is locked in place. If Sierra is looking that deeply at rosters, then they might be selling him on the idea that Frias/Cotton/Bolsinger are more emergency starters/depth types for them (in Baltimore, they might be the core of the rotation), Beachy's a low risk flier that shouldn't worry him, Lee's stuff isn't that great, and Montas might be better fit for the pen. Again, doubt that Sierra's looking that far ahead. Guessing there won't even be a huge "opportunity" issue involving Sierra - they could put him in AA (or lower) to start. AAA's where the mess will likely be for them, but getting Sierra's feet wet in the lower levels makes sense. (AAA guess would be what, De Leon, Urias, Lee, maybe Wood, and someone else ... feels like it could be better than some MLB rotations).

With this boatload of depth, they ought to be able to talk some team into a deal.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:41 pm

mlbtr indicates that we were one of the finalists for him.
Spoiler: show

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 pm

"Hey Maeda, pls sign with us, you can make $10m if you pitch 200 innings"

"ok sounds good"

"lol we have 12 starting pitchers"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Return to “Transactions”