Hall of Fame

Chris Davis back to Baltimore - 7 years $161M

Postby David » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:42 am

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Re: Chris Davis back to Baltimore - 7 years $161M

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:14 am

Good for them

I like Davis, a lot actually, and don't see this as a bad deal - especially for an AL club. The O's needed to do this too - they're probably not resigning Machado so makes sense to try to win ASAP.

SRQCub
Role Player

Postby SRQCub » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:46 am

Though it's been reported already, it's still great to see guys like this not sign with the Cardinals. Davis and the Orioles are a good fit, and I like it that he stayed put.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:02 am

The deal seems reasonable for this market, although it's been apparent for a while that the Orioles were bidding against themselves. The problem I have with this movie is that it's a win now move but they didn't make other win now lose this offseason. This feels like a team stuck in limbo, trying to win now while building for the future.

The biggest issue I have with their off season is the lack of strategic planning. They are in a tough division with Toronto having an excellent offense Boston rebuilding the Yankees better than anyone write the expected at this stage and Tampa still a solid young club. The Orioles have a weak farm system, Limited payroll and an aging core. I thought they were better off focusing on the future this offseason. They didn't need to make a wholesale rebuild but targeted actions such as shopping Zach Britton made a lot of sense. They don't even get that many pics from there for free agent, only getting the pics from Wei Yin Chen. They have to carry Bundy and they still have Harvey rehabbing leaving a very thin top of the system.

I thought they should have focused on the Machado long term deal in turn the off season. I suspect a revisit the Machado long term deal now in with Davis signing I imagine that they will probably be able to get something done. Machado probably wants to know if he'll get to move back to shortstop in the near future which is likely considering Hardy is over the hill.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:06 am

Seems odd that guys are getting this much money this late in the game. Maybe it's not, but it certainly seems like it. I figured he'd have to settle for fewer years.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 am

rawaction wrote:Seems odd that guys are getting this much money this late in the game. Maybe it's not, but it certainly seems like it. I figured he'd have to settle for fewer years.

This is how Boras has been playing it the last few years IIRC

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:17 am

toonsterwu wrote:I thought they should have focused on the Machado long term deal in turn the off season.

G'luck with that. He's possibly this generation' Scott Rolen on track to hit FA at 26 or so, and is a Boras client. He's one of the least likely young superstars in the league to extend.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:40 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:I thought they should have focused on the Machado long term deal in turn the off season.

G'luck with that. He's possibly this generation' Scott Rolen on track to hit FA at 26 or so, and is a Boras client. He's one of the least likely young superstars in the league to extend.

There were rumors around here a while back that
Machado wanted or was willing to buy out a couple arb years, leaving him still able to hit fa before 30.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:52 am

toonsterwu wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

There were rumors around here a while back that
Machado wanted or was willing to buy out a couple arb years, leaving him still able to hit fa before 30.

My guess is that the chances of extending him go up with Davis. In the end Machado has an agent and other reps to handle the business side for him. Unless he's forcing the issue in private or in the press, they have zero incentive to give a bargain to a team willing to let their next best player, same agent IIRC, go in his prime.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:01 am

i would have loved for the Cards to have made this signing, it looks like a pretty awful deal for the O's

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:31 am

rawaction wrote:Seems odd that guys are getting this much money this late in the game. Maybe it's not, but it certainly seems like it. I figured he'd have to settle for fewer years.

Scherzer signed on 1/21 last year.

MarkMero23
Role Player

Postby MarkMero23 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:48 am

I see the Orioles doing their best Phillies impersonation with Chris Davis playing Ryan Howard.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:27 pm

So the Orioles are bringing back the same 81 win team as last year minus Chen and plus a whole lot of payroll and minus any semblance of a farm. Sounds like a great winning strategy.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:38 pm

sneakypower wrote:i would have loved for the Cards to have made this signing, it looks like a pretty awful deal for the O's

Agree.

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 pm

sneakypower wrote:i would have loved for the Cards to have made this signing, it looks like a pretty awful deal for the O's

Seems like Angelos and his Davis man-crush probably meddled a bit. By all appearances, the Orioles were essentially bidding against themselves.

Also, the O's will be paying Davis through 2037, apparently.

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:35 am

Yeah, what the hell is with this paying him for 20 years thing? Like where did that idea come from? What does it accomplish, is this sort of thing common?
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Return to “Transactions”