46%

Total votes: 50

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Re: Schwarber's Position

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:38 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Well, yeah, I obviously want them to move him to LF in the minors, too. I thought that was just assumed with anyone who ultimately wants him in LF.

The point there is that it takes time and games to do that. Schwarber was a college catcher with 36 pro games in the OF(none at AA or AAA) and doesn't have much in the way of physical gifts to fall back on. This isn't Baez getting a few games to see the difference between SS and 2B for a week or two before coming up, it's a larger shift. Especially considering the costs of taking development time away from him at catcher if they still think he can be at least a partial regular there.

Of course we're talking about this taking time; isn't the whole idea that he'd come up this year that it would be in September?

My read is that most people wanting Schwarber up in LF this year want him to replace Coghlan by the all star break or trade deadline. Otherwise you're only getting the benefit for ~30 games.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Well, yeah, I obviously want them to move him to LF in the minors, too. I thought that was just assumed with anyone who ultimately wants him in LF.

The point there is that it takes time and games to do that. Schwarber was a college catcher with 36 pro games in the OF(none at AA or AAA) and doesn't have much in the way of physical gifts to fall back on. This isn't Baez getting a few games to see the difference between SS and 2B for a week or two before coming up, it's a larger shift. Especially considering the costs of taking development time away from him at catcher if they still think he can be at least a partial regular there.

Of course we're talking about this taking time; isn't the whole idea that he'd come up this year that it would be in September?

My read is that most people wanting Schwarber up in LF this year want him to replace Coghlan by the all star break or trade deadline. Otherwise you're only getting the benefit for ~30 games.

I thought I was the only one doing that, and I was just being obnoxious. The reality is I just hope we see him when the rosters expand.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:21 pm

@andruwgreen:
2015-06-01 15:01:04 UTC
Kyle Schwarber v. Kris Bryant through 1st 45 AA games. Schwarber has a higher OBP, SLG & OPS, and same amount of HRs.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:It's all gut, baby. I just don't think anything's happening this year.

Stop doing that. This is like a full season version of the game thread stuff.

I don't think they're terrible or going to disastrously implode or tanking or any of that nonsense; I just think the team is too flawed to make a real run at anything.

That makes no sense to me. They are 1/2 game out of the wildcard against a team they swept in a 4 game series. They are only 2 out of the first wildcard spot. And the Cubs have more prospects to deal and money to add than most of the teams they are competing with. Not to mention some struggling bats (OF and Castro) that could/should turn it around and heat up at some point.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:19 pm

rawaction wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:It's all gut, baby. I just don't think anything's happening this year.

Stop doing that. This is like a full season version of the game thread stuff.

I don't think they're terrible or going to disastrously implode or tanking or any of that nonsense; I just think the team is too flawed to make a real run at anything.

That makes no sense to me. They are 1/2 game out of the wildcard against a team they swept in a 4 game series. They are only 2 out of the first wildcard spot. And the Cubs have more prospects to deal and money to add than most of the teams they are competing with. Not to mention some struggling bats (OF and Castro) that could/should turn it around and heat up at some point.

A big trade for a long term impact piece (especially a bat) would drastically change that opinion, but I'm not completely convinced they'd actually be willing to part with the pieces needed to do that. Castro's probably the guy they're most willing to move at this point along those lines and he's really not helping things. But, like I said, if they actually stepped up and did that my opinion would change.

Otherwise I think the bullpen is too bad/unlucky and their bench depth is just too putrid. If Russell's actually clicked and Soler keeps trending in the right direction, alright, things look a lot better, but being an offensive reliant team hinged on so many young players who could easily go through long slumps while adjusting makes it pretty far from a sure thing (plus how the offense has just run VERY cold for long stretches this year). Plus the guys they brought in, Montero and Fowler, are concerning; both had great starts but have really fallen off. Montero's last two seasons were unremarkable at best and even when Fowler was doing great this year, the main thing he could be counted on, his OBP, was worryingly well below his recent averages and even his career average. Castro is showing zero signs of improving, and his stubbornness (or whatever you want to call it) has resulted in a season-long slump before. And with Coghlan, I doubt his defense holds up; his offense value last year was nearly negated by how bad he was in the field.

So, again, I don't think they're going to just collapse or are doomed or anything else; I just think they'll hover at or right around .500 and aren't likely to pull away and secure a playoff spot.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 pm

But the Cubs are better than all those teams despite all your concerns. What can those other teams do that the Cubs can't to take them ahead of the Cubs?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:45 pm

rawaction wrote:But the Cubs are better than all those teams despite all your concerns. What can those other teams do that the Cubs can't to take them ahead of the Cubs?

I don't necessarily agree with the first part. And other teams are often more willing to make all in, short term impact moves to push them over the top than I think this FO is willing to be or wants to be (and I'm not saying those teams are right to do so, but obviously it can dramatically change how the rankings play out).
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:31 pm

A sort of crazy ex colleague sent me an article, not sure where it was from, that talked about Schwarber as a catcher. In the article, they said that no one ever took the time to teach him anything about how to play the position which is why scouts concluded that he couldn't stick there. It sounds like the Cubs have completely started over, replacing his old habits that relied on athleticism with actual instruction. Schwarber is a hard worker and a fast learner is the sense I get regarding his makeup. Surely it's worth another year to see if he can stick there. Even if he winds up being Mike Piazza and outhitting his defensive troubles that makes him more valuable than turning him into Jayson Werth.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:41 pm

But then I talked to Jason McLeod, the Cubs’ senior vice president, scouting & player development. A year ago, the Cubs drafted Schwarber. According to McLeod, “There’s no question with anyone in the organization that he’s going to catch.

Tennessee Smokies broadcaster Mick Gillispie:

Kyle has done an amazing job framing pitches. He is one of the best I've seen this season in the league. The other very good trait for him is pitch calling. He has split time with Willson Contreras behind the plate, getting 3 of every 5 games. Receiving still needs development, along with his footwork and positioning when throwing out runners. However, he brings confidence to the pitcher and works well with the umps.

[source] (Neyer alert)

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Is there a scenario where we send Schwarber back to AAA for the majority of 2016 so he can catch every day? If not, it seems like some team out there would way overvalue him at this point and we should seriously consider moving him. I love him, but if he is more valuable to other teams than he is to us (he has to be for a lot of other teams, especially AL) and someone is going to overpay for him...
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:Is there a scenario where we send Schwarber back to AAA for the majority of 2016 so he can catch every day? If not, it seems like some team out there would way overvalue him at this point and we should seriously consider moving him. I love him, but if he is more valuable to other teams than he is to us (he has to be for a lot of other teams, especially AL) and someone is going to overpay for him...

JasonBatemanno.gif

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:20 pm

He's probably pretty lazy, what with being a big dude and all, so I'll say missionary.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:51 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:He's probably pretty lazy, what with being a big dude and all, so I'll say missionary.

Wouldn't Cowgirl require even less effort?
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:03 am

He's not a complete bastard; just lazy.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Return to “Polls”