I kind of like them and will cheer for them if they advance
30%

Total votes: 56

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

the pirates

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 am

How do you feel about the Pirates?
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Hall of Fame

Re: the pirates

Postby David » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:18 am

well i definitely won't be cheering for anyone if the cubs get eliminated

that's the one downside, if you can call it that, when the cubs make the playoffs for me. i can glean no enjoyment from the rest of it.

i haven't decided yet, but i'm starting to hate their stupid cavernous outfield. for the most part, though, probably just annoying because they're good.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:21 am

I can enjoy the playoffs when the Cubs are out only if teams that didn't eliminate the Cubs that are likable advance.

For instance in 2007, I enjoyed watching the Rockies, when the Cubs were out (although it kind of aggravated me seeing the DBacks get swept so easily after sweeping us). In 2008, I rooted for the Rays and their ALCS against Boston was one of the more enjoyable playoff series I've ever watched.

In 2003, I don't think I watched more than a minute or two of that World Series for obvious reasons.
Dare to dream....

Brian707
Starter

Postby Brian707 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:26 am

UMFan83 wrote:In 2003, I don't think I watched more than a minute or two of that World Series for obvious reasons.

I stopped watching the 2003 playoffs after game 6. Had to work during game 7, so I taped it on the VCR and followed on some early version of mlb gamecenter. Still have yet to watch anything other than the Wood HR from that game, I broke the tape with a hammer.

As for the Pirates, if they beat the Cubs I hope they for sure beat the Cardinals but after that I hope they fail.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 am

tbh if they won it all I'd be happy for Jake
Do it for Kent.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:46 am

rocket wrote:tbh if they won it all I'd be happy for Jake

There is only one Jake, and he got his 20th win last night.

All other Jake's are pretenders.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:53 am

I've got family in Pittsburgh and have seen so many Pirates games live over the years that they kind of just became my "second team" by default. They're cool by me, even though I hope the Cubs crush their dreams into powder.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 am

As of right now, I have a hard time really disliking the Pirates. McCutcheon is their version of Rizzo in terms of loyal to the team and likeable star. They have Aramis Ramirez who I still like a lot for what he did for the Cubs. As far as I know, none of their players are notorious [expletive].

If it can't be the Cubs, it might as well be them.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 am

UMFan83 wrote:I can enjoy the playoffs when the Cubs are out only if teams that didn't eliminate the Cubs that are likable advance.

For instance in 2007, I enjoyed watching the Rockies, when the Cubs were out (although it kind of aggravated me seeing the DBacks get swept so easily after sweeping us). In 2008, I rooted for the Rays and their ALCS against Boston was one of the more enjoyable playoff series I've ever watched.

In 2003, I don't think I watched more than a minute or two of that World Series for obvious reasons.

yeah, i can't. baseball ceased to exist for me for a month or two after those sweeps.

the only footage i saw of the 2003 world series was the five seconds i noticed being televised in the concourse at the UC when i went to a bulls preseason game

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 am

i like the Pirates fine until i see Francisco Cervelli's rat face doing irritating things

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:14 am

sneakypower wrote:i like the Pirates fine until i see Francisco Cervelli's rat face doing irritating things

ah yes

i do hate him

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:15 am

biittner77 wrote:As of right now, I have a hard time really disliking the Pirates. McCutcheon is their version of Rizzo in terms of loyal to the team and likeable star. They have Aramis Ramirez who I still like a lot for what he did for the Cubs. As far as I know, none of their players are notorious [expletive].

If it can't be the Cubs, it might as well be them.

Burnett looks like a dirtbag.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:36 am

I hate all baseball teams.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 am

Completely indifferent on them
Screw Pitchers

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:21 am

I have no ill will toward the Pirates at all. A bit annoying that they won't lose, but we can take care of that this weekend hopefully.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:23 am

don't mind the team, but always good to remember they have the same fans as the Steelers and Penguins.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:26 am

the outcome of the wild card game will determine what i think of them henceforth

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:don't mind the team, but always good to remember they have the same fans as the Steelers and Penguins.

Though they do have that awesome uniform synergy.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

sneakypower wrote:i like the Pirates fine until i see Francisco Cervelli's rat face doing irritating things

Nailed it.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:55 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:don't mind the team, but always good to remember they have the same fans as the Steelers and Penguins.

The Pirates really do have great uniforms, logos, merchandise, etc. They do the whole Pirate thing really well, when it could easily be silly.

See: Buccaneers

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:10 am

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

The Pirates really do have great uniforms, logos, merchandise, etc. They do the whole Pirate thing really well, when it could easily be silly.

Have you seen their pregame video with a pirate ship shooting the opponents? It's incredibly hokey.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:38 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Have you seen their pregame video with a pirate ship shooting the opponents? It's incredibly hokey.

I have not.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:26 pm

I hadn't really considered that. Around here the Steeler's fans are pretty obnoxious but I don't ever see them wearing Pirates gear. I suppose that would change if they started winning WS trophies.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Their front office can hang.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Are they still using the same cheesy graphics from a decade ago?

On the other hand: I love that damn parrot.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Return to “Polls”