Who Do You Want the Cubs to Face in the One Game-Playoff?

Which team would you rather see the Cubs eliminate in the one game-playoff?

Pirates
64%
Cardinals
36%

Total votes: 36

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Who Do You Want the Cubs to Face in the One Game-Playoff?

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Based on my completely unscientific gut reaction, right now I'd rather they face the Pirates. 2-3 weeks ago it would have been the Cardinals, no question, but it feels like in that time their pitching has started giving up a lot more runs to decent teams, while the Pirates' pitching seems stronger going in to the playoffs.

VOTE NOW.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Re: Who Do You Want the Cubs to Face in the One Game-Playoff?

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:35 pm

If your ultimate goal is at least the NLCS, I think the Cards are an easier draw in a division series than the Bucs, especially with Martinez down. I like the chances of Arrieta over Cole or anyone in a one game WC.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:12 pm

NOLA wrote:If your ultimate goal is at least the NLCS, I think the Cards are an easier draw in a division series than the Bucs, especially with Martinez down. I like the chances of Arrieta over Cole or anyone in a one game WC.

Can't win the NLDS without winning the wild-card game, and I think Pittsburgh is a better team than STL. Hence, I vote for STL here. Beat them, take your chances in the NLDS. Funny stuff can happen in a short series.

That said it probably doesn't make a ton of difference. I would like to see the division race come down to the end, though.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Andy wrote:and I think Pittsburgh is a better team than STL

Me too, which is why I'd much rather have the ability to execute them in a single blow with Arrieta.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Me too, which is why I'd much rather have the ability to execute them in a single blow with Arrieta.

Same

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Based on my completely unscientific gut reaction, right now I'd rather they face the Pirates. 2-3 weeks ago it would have been the Cardinals, no question, but it feels like in that time their pitching has started giving up a lot more runs to decent teams, while the Pirates' pitching seems stronger going in to the playoffs.

VOTE NOW.

Voted Pirates and that is almost exactly how I feel. I would not feel good at all facing Cole and Liriano 3 times in a 5 game series.

Meanwhile the only St. Louis pitcher to beat us in the 6 games we most recently played is out for the season.
Dare to dream....

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:25 am

It would be pretty humiliating for the Cards to lose a division in which they had a stranglehold for such a long time. The prospect of putting the finishing touches on that collapse is pretty enticing.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:45 am

I've been conflicted about this all weekend, but I think I want the Pirates in the WC for a couple of reasons.

1) The reason Sammy said, that we can eliminate a tougher team in one deadly stroke. The Cards are a mess.

2) Losing to the Pirates in the WC would be less soul-crushing than losing to the Cardinals in the WC would be, were a loss to happen.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:47 am

biittner77 wrote:It would be pretty humiliating for the Cards to lose a division in which they had a stranglehold for such a long time. The prospect of putting the finishing touches on that collapse is pretty enticing.

I didn't even think about that; I'd still rather face the Pirates to get rid of the tougher opponent, but the idea of crushing the Cardinals in such a humbling scenario after they all but cruised in to win the division, AND to do it in front of TBFiB, would be pretty sweet.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:02 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
biittner77 wrote:It would be pretty humiliating for the Cards to lose a division in which they had a stranglehold for such a long time. The prospect of putting the finishing touches on that collapse is pretty enticing.

I didn't even think about that; I'd still rather face the Pirates to get rid of the tougher opponent, but the idea of crushing the Cardinals in such a humbling scenario after they all but cruised in to win the division, AND to do it in front of TBFiB, would be pretty sweet.

i mean either scenario is going to be great. arrieta will vanquish whoever it is.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:04 am

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

i mean either scenario is going to be great. arrieta will vanquish whoever it is.

You mean either scenario of beating the Cardinals? Because while I obviously want the Cubs to beat the Pirates, I can't say I really care about how they do it outside of what I think is best for the Cubs "strategically" as opposed to how I would prefer the Cardinals to lose in the most humiliating fashion possible.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:06 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

You mean either scenario of beating the Cardinals? Because while I obviously want the Cubs to beat the Pirates, I can't say I really care about how they do it outside of what I think is best for the Cubs "strategically" as opposed to how I would prefer the Cardinals to lose in the most humiliating fashion possible.

i'm saying going to the NLDS is going to be pretty great, whether we crush the hopes and dreams of st louis or just knock out the superior team in one game in pittsburgh

since the goal is to win a world series, i'd still rather face the pirates in the one game, but in that regard it doesn't really make much of a difference over just the simple crapshootiness so whatever.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:00 pm

I would like them to play the Marlins in the playoff. Was that an option?

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:30 pm

if the question's this
Which team would you rather see the Cubs eliminate

the answer's obviously StL

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:40 pm

sneakypower wrote:if the question's this
Which team would you rather see the Cubs eliminate

the answer's obviously StL

But they're going to eliminate both so THIS WHOLE THREAD IS REDUNDANT.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

This is correct.

I'm still rooting for a division tie so the Cards and Pitt have to play a tiebreaker game and use up their best pitchers (although Liriano might be as scary as Cole for us). I haven't looked at how their rotations are projected, but the Pirates/Cardinals might not have the luxury of lining up their best pitcher against us regardless if the division comes down to the final few days.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:49 pm

RammyFanny wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

This is correct.

I'm still rooting for a division tie so the Cards and Pitt have to play a tiebreaker game and use up their best pitchers (although Liriano might be as scary as Cole for us). I haven't looked at how their rotations are projected, but the Pirates/Cardinals might not have the luxury of lining up their best pitcher against us regardless if the division comes down to the final few days.

don't think they'd use cole in that game anyway

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:32 pm

David wrote:
RammyFanny wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

This is correct.

don't think they'd use cole in that game anyway

Their options will likely be:

Cole on 4 days rest
Liriano on 3 days rest
Locke on a lot of rest(assuming he gets skipped)

They could also go with a bullpen game or piggy back Burnett/Locke or something like that. If they don't skip Locke, then they'd have either Happ or Morton(whoever got pushed out for Locke) well rested for Monday.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:42 pm

When the Cardinals were playing like a 100 win team and their pitching was healthy and good, I think it made sense to prefer to play them in the WC game. Their depth would be less of a factor, and we wouldn't have to face Cole in a one game playoff. Now, though, all of their pitchers are hurt or struggling, and they don't scare me at all in a 5 game series. You don't want to face Cole twice and Liriano once, who we match up terribly against, while we can only throw Arrieta once. Arrieta vs the Pirates for one game is absolutely the best case scenario for the Cubs' World Series chances.

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:31 pm

I mean, if we get pittsburgh in the wc game and beat them, I think we're undoubtedly the strongest team in the NL thats in the playoffs. I'll take jake vs cole.
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Return to “Polls”