06 Draft Signings

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
rsmoler
Role Player
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:42 am

Postby rsmoler » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:20 pm

Has anyone heard word as to whether the Cubs plan on signing any more of their draft picks or are they pretty much done. I always like to see them sign as many of their first 25 picks as possible. 17,18,20, 22 and 25 are still out there.

User avatar
Chris
Superstar
Posts: 18990
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:38 pm
Location: Roadkill
Contact:

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:58 am

The Cubs just issued a release on the Huseby and Rundle signings:

The Chicago Cubs have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Chris Huseby, the club’s 11th round selection from the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, and center fielder Andrew Rundle, the club’s 14th round pick.

Huseby, who recently graduated from Martin County High School in Stuart, Fla., was the baseball team’s Co-MVP and Best Pitcher in 2004, going 5-2 with a 1.10 ERA in 51.0 innings. He was selected for the Junior National Olympic Team before undergoing Tommy John surgery in March of 2005.

In 2006, Huseby helped Martin County reach the Class 5A Region 4 finals en route to earning Comeback Player of the Year honors.

Rundle, who recently graduated from Bend (Ore.) Senior High School, batted .438 with 24 RBI and 32 runs while not committing an error in the field during the 2006 season. The left-handed hitter was recently named the 2005-06 Gatorade Oregon High School Player of the Year.

Rundle, who also lettered as a wide receiver in football, batted .415 with 35 RBI during his junior season.

Overall, Chicago has agreed to terms with its first 13 selections and 17 of their first 21 picks.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 am

rsmoler wrote:Has anyone heard word as to whether the Cubs plan on signing any more of their draft picks or are they pretty much done. I always like to see them sign as many of their first 25 picks as possible. 17,18,20, 22 and 25 are still out there.


A few of those guys might end up being potential DFEs. Wilken collected a lot of them along the way.

craig
All-Star
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:52 pm

Postby craig » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:52 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
rsmoler wrote:Has anyone heard word as to whether the Cubs plan on signing any more of their draft picks or are they pretty much done. I always like to see them sign as many of their first 25 picks as possible. 17,18,20, 22 and 25 are still out there.


A few of those guys might end up being potential DFEs. Wilken collected a lot of them along the way.


Correct. Of the unsigned picks through pick 34, all but one are firm JC/CC commits who will be available for draft-and-follow screening next spring.

The only exception through the first 34 picks is Keoni "Babe" Ruth at #17, a college 2B. I think the Cubs have signed him too, actually. There was a story where he is injured, and he was quoted as having the cubs telling him this and that about the rehab process. I got the impression it fit with him having been signed and going into their rehab program, although it's perhaps also possible that they said do this and that and we'll sign you later if you're doing well. I suppose also possible that he failed physical or something like that.

But basically through at least the first 34 selections, Wilken didn't take *anybody* who didn't seem signable, either this summer or next spring.

Hopefully we'll hit on a good DFE for a change. It's been a while since the Cubs have gotten anybody significant that way.

User avatar
Outshined_One
Blam.
Posts: 31943
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:38 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Outshined_One » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:03 pm

craig wrote:Hopefully we'll hit on a good DFE for a change. It's been a while since the Cubs have gotten anybody significant that way.


Veal could have been a DFE if he had gone back to Pima.

User avatar
NCCubFan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22170
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: near Raleigh, NC

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:29 pm

craig wrote:The only exception through the first 34 picks is Keoni "Babe" Ruth at #17, a college 2B.
We signed Babe Ruth! The future suddenly looks brighter. :lol:
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

User avatar
cbbryan
All-Star
Posts: 3437
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:57 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Postby cbbryan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:39 pm

NCCubbieFan wrote:
craig wrote:The only exception through the first 34 picks is Keoni "Babe" Ruth at #17, a college 2B.
We signed Babe Ruth! The future suddenly looks brighter. :lol:


http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=6270806
Image

User avatar
cbbryan
All-Star
Posts: 3437
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:57 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Postby cbbryan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Also:

"I'm definitely grateful the Cubs took a chance on me, despite my shoulder injury," said Ruth, who returned from San Diego on Monday night. "A lot of teams backed off because of that. I was just hoping someone would believe in me and fortunately the Cubs did."


http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 70331.html
Image

the splendid splinter
Starter
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Prosperity, South Carolina

Postby the splendid splinter » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:18 am

Excuse me, this is my 1st post, so be easy on me when you bust my cherry. Anyways I thought I read something about the Cubs had to void Ruths' contract because of an injury. Also for the record Wilken has had a good track record of the Draft and follow and I think that's why he took so many. Chris Woodward in the 54th, Orlando Hudson in the 33rd and 43rd in back to back yrs, Brandon Lyon 14th, I think I'm missing a few!

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49202
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Location: Puget Sound

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:51 pm

Welcome!

User avatar
UK
Superstar
Posts: 19469
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 8:38 am

Postby UK » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

Although it's not an '06 draft signing in the technical terms, the Cubs did not sign Iowa 5th year senior Tim Gudex.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49202
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Location: Puget Sound

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:17 pm

UK wrote:Although it's not an '06 draft signing in the technical terms, the Cubs did not sign Iowa 5th year senior Tim Gudex.


Wait, what? I thought he signed like 2 months ago.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
UK wrote:Although it's not an '06 draft signing in the technical terms, the Cubs did not sign Iowa 5th year senior Tim Gudex.


Wait, what? I thought he signed like 2 months ago.


He failed his physical and his contract was voided.

User avatar
Outshined_One
Blam.
Posts: 31943
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:38 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Outshined_One » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:40 pm

34th rounder SS Nathan Samson apparently signed, as he played tonight in Mesa.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Outshined_One wrote:34th rounder SS Nathan Samson apparently signed, as he played tonight in Mesa.


Added him to the list in the first post in the thread.

Please let me know if I've missed someone who's signed.

the splendid splinter
Starter
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Prosperity, South Carolina

Postby the splendid splinter » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:36 pm

I think I heard that Krier signed which I believe could be the 20th rounder by the Cubs?!

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:56 pm

the splendid splinter wrote:I think I heard that Krier signed which I believe could be the 20th rounder by the Cubs?!


Kevin Kreier was indeed the Cubs' 20th rounder. Based on what I found searching the net, it sounds like he'll be a probable DFE, and is headed to Western Nevada Community College.

Here's BA's 20th round list, which shows Kreier as not signed yet.

the splendid splinter
Starter
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Prosperity, South Carolina

Postby the splendid splinter » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm almost sure he's signed and headed to Mesa, like in the last couple of days. Im sure we'll hear more!!

User avatar
texascub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6913
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Texas

Postby texascub » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:53 pm

the splendid splinter wrote:I'm almost sure he's signed and headed to Mesa, like in the last couple of days. Im sure we'll hear more!!


What's the book on him? The only info I've found was on the WNCC website and it said he featured a 90-MPH FB...decent for CC I guess but unless he's got advanced secondary pitches I don't see him having much success.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:30 pm

texascub wrote:
the splendid splinter wrote:I'm almost sure he's signed and headed to Mesa, like in the last couple of days. Im sure we'll hear more!!


What's the book on him? The only info I've found was on the WNCC website and it said he featured a 90-MPH FB...decent for CC I guess but unless he's got advanced secondary pitches I don't see him having much success.


Well, he's coming out of HS, so he has time.

Sounds interesting, splendid splinter. I hope you're right.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:31 am

the splendid splinter wrote:I'm almost sure he's signed and headed to Mesa, like in the last couple of days. Im sure we'll hear more!!


Well, he's on Mesa's roster and has been for a while.

I bow down to you.

the splendid splinter
Starter
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Prosperity, South Carolina

Postby the splendid splinter » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 am

Keep your head up Mr. Raisin and keep checking in on the 06 draft class, it could be a little better than we thought given the conditions of it, going into the draft!!

CubsInNC
All-Star
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Mississippi

Postby CubsInNC » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:06 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
the splendid splinter wrote:I think I heard that Krier signed which I believe could be the 20th rounder by the Cubs?!


Kevin Kreier was indeed the Cubs' 20th rounder. Based on what I found searching the net, it sounds like he'll be a probable DFE, and is headed to Western Nevada Community College.

Here's BA's 20th round list, which shows Kreier as not signed yet.


BA Now lists Krier as signed.

Unsigned per BA:

    Keoni Ruth Round 17 2B San Diego
    Jose Hernandez Round 18 rhp Edgewater HS, Orlando
    Jovan Rosa Round 22 3b Lake City (Fla.) CC
    Jamie Bagley Round 25 rhp Hargrave HS, Huffman, Texas
    Cedric Redmond Round 27 rhp Joliet (Ill.) Township HS
    Brett Summers Round 28 rhp South Suburban (Ill.) CC
    Jordan Latham Round 29 rhp JC of Southern Idaho
    Bryan Collins Round 31 rhp Alvin (Texas) CC
    Nate Sampson Round 34 ss Ocala Forest HS, Ocala, Fla.
    Marquez Smith Round 35 3b Clemson
    David Francis Round 37 rhp St. Joseph SS, Mississauga, Ontario
    Ben Feltner Round 38 of Temple (Texas) JC
    Marcus Hatley Round 39 of Mission Hills HS, San Marcos, Calif.
    Jonathan Negron Round 41 rhp Puerto Rican Baseball Academy, Guaynabo, P.R.
    Ben Ornelas Round 42 of Cypress (Calif.) JC
    Anthony Morel Round 43 ss Riverside (Calif.) CC
    Daniel Berlind Round 44 rhp Calabasas (Calif.) HS
    Ryan Shook Round 46 lhp Valley Christian Academy, Roseville, Calif.
    Kenneth Goodline Round 48 rhp North Monterey County HS, Castroville,
    Ryan Davis Round 50 lhp East Lake HS, Sammamish, Wash.Calif.

the splendid splinter
Starter
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Prosperity, South Carolina

Postby the splendid splinter » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:48 am

Samson the 34th rounder signed and has played the last two or three weeks for Mesa. It sounds like we lost three players for sure, Ruth, Marquez Smith and Feltner, I would imagine all the others are JC players and we might have a shot of signing them if we like by next May when their JC seasons are over.

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:00 pm

the splendid splinter wrote:Samson the 34th rounder signed and has played the last two or three weeks for Mesa. It sounds like we lost three players for sure, Ruth, Marquez Smith and Feltner, I would imagine all the others are JC players and we might have a shot of signing them if we like by next May when their JC seasons are over.


Feltner is a JC kid too - why did the Cubs lose him?


Return to “Amateur Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest