NCAA Division I Baseball Championship Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Slugger_16
5-Time All-Star

NCAA Division I Baseball Championship Thread

Postby Slugger_16 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:56 am

I thought this deserved its own thread. The 64-team bracket was announced this week. Regionals start on Friday, June 1st.

Here are the eight national seeds:

1. Vandy
2. Rice
3. North Carolina
4. Texas
5. Arizona State
6. Florida State
7. Arkansas
8. San Diego

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Thu May 31, 2007 1:43 pm

Raisin your boys are going down in the regionals :)

I've never really followed college baseball that much... is it not that strange that the University Of Illinois at Chicago is in a regional bracket with 3 California schools?
Last edited by Brian on Thu May 31, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 31, 2007 1:45 pm

Brian wrote:Raisin you're boys are going down in the regionals :)

I've never really followed college baseball that much... is it not that strange that the University Of Illinois at Chicago is in a regional bracket with 3 California schools?

Nope. Last year Mizzou went out to the Pepperdine regional filled with California schools.

For those that know though, how does the Super-Regional hosting work? Is it at the seeded team's location no matter what? Or the highest seeded left's location? Or the team that beat the highest seed's location?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 31, 2007 1:56 pm

It happens when you're the 4-seed.

Wish I was in town this weekend, I'd get down to Long Beach for at least one of the games (esp. Saturday when my boy Tim Murphy pitches).

Anyways, Friday it's Tyson Brummett vs. Pepperdine's RHP Barry Enright. Go Bruins!

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Thu May 31, 2007 2:04 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:It happens when you're the 4-seed.

Kind of figured that was part of the reasoning. Oh well, I just read that this is the first time they haven't been in a regional with a top 8 over all team so I guess that's a positive.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Thu May 31, 2007 5:22 pm

I followed the regionals last year because my undergraduate school (Ball State) and my doctoral school (Kentucky) played in the same regional (College of Charleston ultimately won it). This year neither school is in the tournament, so my interest isn't as high. I'm more interested in how individuals do (such as potential Cubs draft picks) than teams.

Slugger_16
5-Time All-Star

Postby Slugger_16 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:41 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Nope. Last year Mizzou went out to the Pepperdine regional filled with California schools.

For those that know though, how does the Super-Regional hosting work? Is it at the seeded team's location no matter what? Or the highest seeded left's location? Or the team that beat the highest seed's location?

I know that for super regional hosting, the 8 national seeds are guaranteed home field advantage until the CWS (provided they win). Now if you have a national seed knocked out in the regionals, when determining who hosts during the supers you would look at the higher seeded team. If a 2 seed knocks out a national seed in the regionals, but the 1 seed in the other bracket advances to the supers, then the 1 seed would be the host. Essentially the 16 #1 seeds are considered the top 16 teams in the field of 64 (though in the regionals 1 seeds don't always host, things like facilities and money come into play there). If you have two 2 seeds advancing to play each other in the supers, I'm not sure how they determine who gets home field. It might be something like regular season wins.

I was trying to find something online that spelled out the rules for hosting, and I wasn't able to find anything, but that's how I understand it to be (and I may be a little off).

In other news: Brackman Won't Pitch at NCAA Regional

GO [expletive]!

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 31, 2007 7:45 pm

Thanks. So with that understanding, if Mizzou wins their regional and Arkansas doesn't win theirs, Mizzou hosts the Super. Yay.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Thu May 31, 2007 8:10 pm

I'm actually going to be covering Arkansas (and OSU) this weekend.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 31, 2007 8:12 pm

IMB! wrote:I'm actually going to be covering Arkansas (and OSU) this weekend.

Root for Albany for me.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu May 31, 2007 9:42 pm

Four Big West teams made the tournament. I was kind of surprised that CSU Fullerton made it because they finished under .500 in conference play and three games behind Cal Poly though Fullerton was one game better than Cal Poly overall. But that's what winning a National Title a couple years ago will get you.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Thu May 31, 2007 10:42 pm

Slugger_16 wrote:In other news: Brackman Won't Pitch at NCAA Regional
There was a report on that on my local news last night, although at that time Brackman's status was still up in the air. In addition to the elbow soreness mentioned in the article you provided the link to, he's also dealing with the death of his ex-girlfriend in an accident recently.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:35 am

I've got tickets to all the games in Columbia this weekend. Should be awesome.

HenryBlanco
Role Player

Postby HenryBlanco » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 am

I got my ticket for the Wichita St. - New Orleans game tonight.

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:55 pm

yay! UIC beat Long Beach State.

DCNashville
Starter

Postby DCNashville » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:52 pm

Did anyone catch any first round games tonight? I was in attendance for Vanderbilt-Austin Peay and, wow, what a game. Vandy eeked out a win on a dribbler to second in the bottom of the 11th, 2-1. David Price is just ridiculously awesome. 17 k's in 9 innings of work! Gave up 1 run on 5 hits. Vandy's offense stalled big time against APSU, but they were able to put together a rally in the end to pull out the victory. APSU will play Memphis tomorrow in an elimination game while Vandy plays Michigan.

I'm not sure the Commodores have what it takes to win the whole thing, but we sure are tough with Price on the hill.

P.S. Casey Weathers pitched the 10th and 11th for Vandy and recorded 5 strikeouts. 22 k's on 33 outs...not bad for one night!
PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION TODAY! GO IRISH!

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:57 pm

Mizzou blew out Kent State 10-2, and face Louisville(who beat Miami) tomorrow. Great job by Crow to go the distance so the bullpen has everyone rested and available.

Slugger_16
5-Time All-Star

Postby Slugger_16 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:10 am

South Carolina beat Wofford 9-1 tonight. Justin Smoak with two HRs. They will play Charlotte (who beat NC State) on Saturday.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:34 am

Slugger_16 wrote:South Carolina beat Wofford 9-1 tonight. Justin Smoak with two HRs. They will play Charlotte (who beat NC State) on Saturday.
Charlotte-NC State was one of two games pitting NC schools against each other today. In the Chapel Hill regional East Carolina beat Western Carolina, and they face North Carolina next.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:24 am

Arkansas vs. OSU tomorrow.

Look for me down the third base line if you happen to see the game.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:42 am

I'll be rooting for UIC and Creighton this year.

Warpticon
5-Time All-Star

Postby Warpticon » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:20 am

Go Hogs!

Also, everybody knows Nick Schmidt is a beast, but I didn't realize how ridiculous Jess Todd's numbers were this year, especially after he struck out 17 in 8 innings last weekend. Anybody know what he throws, and what his pro prospects are? He's pitching today, so I look forward to seeing what IMB! thinks.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Elimination game in CoMo has turned out to be entertaining. Miami led Kent State 8-1 heading to the bottom of the 8th, but 6 runs later Kent still has 2 on with 2 out.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:07 pm

Warpticon wrote:

Go Hogs!

Also, everybody knows Nick Schmidt is a beast, but I didn't realize how ridiculous Jess Todd's numbers were this year, especially after he struck out 17 in 8 innings last weekend. Anybody know what he throws, and what his pro prospects are? He's pitching today, so I look forward to seeing what IMB! thinks.

Get ready to wait. I've been at the park since 2:30, and we're still an hour away from OSU at Arkansas.

Creighton beat Albany 21-11 in one of the longest baseball games I have ever seen.

The first six innings took two hours, the next three took over two more. Just brutal.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Todd is struggling to get ahead of hitters right now.

He has a little hitch in his delivery that has to help him, because he doesn't look to have overwhelming stuff. Of course now that I type that he just strikes a guy out.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”