2007 Draft Picks who have signed

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Holy crap!

Wieters signs!!

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:17 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Holy crap!

Wieters signs!!

Any word on the $$?

Wrigley Rat
All-Star

Postby Wrigley Rat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 pm

Vitters is on WGN right now. They said it went "right down to the wire." He is reporting to Mesa.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 pm

RammyFanny wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Holy crap!

Wieters signs!!

Any word on the $$?

$6 million
Last edited by CaliforniaRaisin on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:25 pm

Vitters: $3.2 million
Moustakas: $4 mil.
Wieters: $6 mil (second highest bonus ever behind Justin Upton).
Last edited by CaliforniaRaisin on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 pm

BA's Draft Blog wrote:Vitters Relieved To See Deal Get Done

Posted Aug. 15, 2007 11:36 pm by J.J. Cooper
Filed under: Signings

Less than 20 minutes after signing his new deal, the newest Cub Josh Vitters was on WGN during the Cubs-Reds game to talk about his contract.

Vitters was understandably excited about his new deal, but he also seemed somewhat relieved to see it actually get worked out.

“A lot of people were waiting for the deadline because of these new deadline rules. I’m glad for how it worked out,” he told the station. “I didn’t sleep good last night. I was worried it wouldn’t get done.”

Vitters was ranked as the best hitter, second best power hitter and closest to the majors among all high school players in Baseball America’s draft review.

“All of that stuff is awesome. Seeing it in Baseball America, but you don’t really believe it til it actually happens,” Vitters said. “I’m signed now so I’m ready to show them that all that stuff is right.”

The third baseman said he’s on his way to Mesa, Arizona where he will report to the Cubs minor league complex.

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:42 pm

Wow, I read that the Astros didn't have a 1st or 2nd rounder, and failed to sign their 3rd and 4th rounder as well as a couple of other later picks.

that's... not good.

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 am

Brian wrote:Wow, I read that the Astros didn't have a 1st or 2nd rounder, and failed to sign their 3rd and 4th rounder as well as a couple of other later picks.

that's... not good.

:shock:

But on the bright side, maybe Clemens will be back next year? :P

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:07 am

Wow, I'm suprised at this. The Cubs plan on Vitters getting some time at Boise this season. I figured that with as little of the season left and as long as it had been since he had played last, he'd probably just get into a few games at Mesa and go to instructs.

Vitters signed for $3.2 million, and will report to Mesa, Ariz., and join the Cubs' Rookie League team, and hopefully get to the team's Boise team before its season is over. Before he goes, though, he will take batting practice with the big league team on Friday at Wrigley Field.

- Cubs.com

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:13 am

17 years old

Wednesday night you become a millionaire

Friday you're taking batting practice at Wrigley Field

Nice couple of days.

badnews
All-Star

Acosta?

Postby badnews » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:33 am

What happened to Ryan Acosta? Baseball America's Draft Database shows him as not signing? If he did sign, shouldn't he be with the Rookie team by now?

the splendid splinter
Starter

Re: Acosta?

Postby the splendid splinter » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:50 am

badnews wrote:What happened to Ryan Acosta? Baseball America's Draft Database shows him as not signing? If he did sign, shouldn't he be with the Rookie team by now?
He's at Mesa right now, pitched the last two innings last night. Francisco Acosta thee other pitcher that was at Mesa is on the DL, for some reason, both games that Ryan has pitched, they've listed him under Francisco's era, even thou he' on the DL.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 am

BA'a Advanced Draft Databas has Ryan Acosta signed.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:56 am

So, no other last-minute Cub draftees who signed? Or wouldn't we know?

I think all this "slot" stuff and the Bud ripping is silly. The best interests of the league would obiously be to have a firm slot system, ala NBA and NFL.

If the majority of the teams agree on that, and try to work more-or-less within that, that's their prerogative. Those that do know that the Yankees may not, the Cubs may not, etc.. And they all know that their is no enforcement possible. How could there be?

The clubs and the agents all know that their isn't really any possibility of enforcement.

If the majority of clubs establish majority consensus slot guidelines, the majority of players are happy to sign within those guidelines. Bud and the majority of teams aren't in the wrong to try to work together to that effect. Obviously there will be a minority of players who will not follow those, whether that be Porcello or Wieters or Samardzija or James Russell or Rundle or Brackman or Huseby, and teams can decide how many of those they are willing to pay.

I just hope it's us doing it again, more, next year.

davearm
Starter

Postby davearm » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:13 am

craig wrote:So, no other last-minute Cub draftees who signed? Or wouldn't we know?

I think all this "slot" stuff and the Bud ripping is silly. The best interests of the league would obiously be to have a firm slot system, ala NBA and NFL.

If the majority of the teams agree on that, and try to work more-or-less within that, that's their prerogative. Those that do know that the Yankees may not, the Cubs may not, etc.. And they all know that their is no enforcement possible. How could there be?

The clubs and the agents all know that their isn't really any possibility of enforcement.

If the majority of clubs establish majority consensus slot guidelines, the majority of players are happy to sign within those guidelines. Bud and the majority of teams aren't in the wrong to try to work together to that effect. Obviously there will be a minority of players who will not follow those, whether that be Porcello or Wieters or Samardzija or James Russell or Rundle or Brackman or Huseby, and teams can decide how many of those they are willing to pay.

Actually the whole system treads mighty close to collusion, IMO.

Competitors are not allowed to work together to suppress or inflate prices, and obstruct market forces.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:59 am

davearm wrote:
craig wrote:So, no other last-minute Cub draftees who signed? Or wouldn't we know?

Actually the whole system treads mighty close to collusion, IMO.

Competitors are not allowed to work together to suppress or inflate prices, and obstruct market forces.

The only free market in baseball is free agency.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:09 pm

Wilken said last night that there would be no other signings yesterday besides Vitters.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:15 pm

so we could've had wieters for less than $3M more than vitters? excuse me while i go stab myself in the face.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:41 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:so we could've had wieters for less than $3M more than vitters? excuse me while i go stab myself in the face.

Seriously?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:20 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:so we could've had wieters for less than $3M more than vitters? excuse me while i go stab myself in the face.

The Cubs believed Wieters would have commanded a major league contract and they weren't willing to give him that - it was one of the main reasons they passed on him.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

The Cubs believed Wieters would have commanded a major league contract and they weren't willing to give him that - it was one of the main reasons they passed on him.

but he didn't command a major league contract. I don't really care what the reason is, the Cubs passed on the best hitter in the draft, and that pisses me off.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:36 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

but he didn't command a major league contract. I don't really care what the reason is, the Cubs passed on the best hitter in the draft, and that pisses me off.

Yes, but it seemed rather likely. Kudos to the Orioles for pulling it off, but with the pending sale, the Cubs weren't in a position to gamble. Vitters is a top-5 talent, I'm not going to get too worked up about it, even if I preferred Wieters.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:05 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Nice to see everyone giving Josh a chance 8-)

Electron Blue
All-Star

Postby Electron Blue » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:55 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Maybe objective analysis isn't your thing... ;)
"The sight of an elderly man riding a child's merry-go-round in the rain will resonate deeply with you today as a metaphor for absolutely everything." -- The Onion, 9/20/06

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:49 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

It's not like they passed on a Prior for Brazleton. Vitters wasn't rated much lower than Wieters, and was rated as better by some.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”