Are we not going to sign Vitters?

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
JonnyRed
All-Star

Are we not going to sign Vitters?

Postby JonnyRed » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm

I was surprised to read in the paper today that we only have until today to get Vitters signed or we lose him? Boy, that would be a waste. What's going on?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:30 pm

They'll sign him, he's waiting til the last minute to see if Price or Moustakas will go over slot so that he could possibly get more too.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:38 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:They'll sign him, he's waiting til the last minute to see if Price or Moustakas will go over slot so that he could possibly get more too.

Porcello surely not helping things.

oldcubsfan
All-Star

Postby oldcubsfan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:09 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:They'll sign him, he's waiting til the last minute to see if Price or Moustakas will go over slot so that he could possibly get more too.

Listening to WGN radio during the rain delay, Dave Kaplan said Vitters is in Chicago but hasn't signed yet. I'm sure it will happen during the game so they can announce it on WGN tv.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Price just signed a couple of hours ago so maybe things are in process.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:01 pm

oldcubsfan wrote:

Listening to WGN radio during the rain delay, Dave Kaplan said Vitters is in Chicago but hasn't signed yet. I'm sure it will happen during the game so they can announce it on WGN tv.

One hour left. I've heard a rumor that Vitters is signed and is in Chicago for his physical.

jiml60
Starter

Postby jiml60 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:11 pm

The draftees have to pass the physical and sign before the deadline - which is probably the hold up.
I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, Gonna kick some ass - ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

jiml60
Starter

Postby jiml60 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:04 pm

Len just announced the signing. Vitters is going to be in the booth with Len & Bob to answer some questions.
I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, Gonna kick some ass - ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 pm

jiml60 wrote:Len just announced the signing. Vitters is going to be in the booth with Len & Bob to answer some questions.

What a bad idea. An 18 year old kid who just signed and clearly hasn't been prepped for dealing with the media. That was absolutely hard to listen to. Bad move Cubs.

Good luck to Josh in the future...

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:34 pm

apete6 wrote:
jiml60 wrote:Len just announced the signing. Vitters is going to be in the booth with Len & Bob to answer some questions.

What a bad idea. An 18 year old kid who just signed and clearly hasn't been prepped for dealing with the media. That was absolutely hard to listen to. Bad move Cubs.

Sure, he sounds like he could be borderline autistic, but its a shame its not possible to send Cedeno or Pie to AAA and get the kid in uniform by the end of the game.

jiml60
Starter

Postby jiml60 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 pm

apete6 wrote:

Yeah, that was brutal.

Let'sPlayTwo
Starter

Postby Let'sPlayTwo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:01 am

Little Lord Fontenot wrote:
apete6 wrote:

Sure, he sounds like he could be borderline autistic, but its a shame its not possible to send Cedeno or Pie to AAA and get the kid in uniform by the end of the game.

[/ignore]

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:21 am

apete6 wrote:

You'd want to send him back to the minors by the end of the next game though.

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:27 am

apete6 wrote:

Who gives a crap! As long as he can play ball, I don't care what he sounds like.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 am

Banedon wrote:
apete6 wrote:

You'd want to send him back to the minors by the end of the next game though.

WIN

Skyballer
Copy, Paste, and Fail

Postby Skyballer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 am

I wouldn't mind sending Cedeno down. :)
-We are prepared to attack the enemy toast.
-I believe you mean "coast," Admiral.
-What? Coast? Well it will take a little more planning, but it makes no difference.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 am

jiml60 wrote:
apete6 wrote:

Yeah, that was brutal.

I remember when they brought Montanez to the booth after he signed. Monty at least managed to sound like he hadn't just drank a quart of Nyquil.

Actually, Vitters reminded me a little of Sandberg when he first came to the Cubs.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”