With the 2008 MLB Draft about a Week Away...

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Outshined_One
Blam.

With the 2008 MLB Draft about a Week Away...

Postby Outshined_One » Wed May 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Name the realistic player you want the Cubs to tab at 19 so that, later, you can get angry at the Cubs with passing on that player, especially when the player they end up drafting is injured or goes through a slump and the player you wanted is mashing/blowing away other teams in the minors for another team.

I'll start and go with RHP Jake Odorizzi. His arm is fresh, there's plenty of projection left for him, and he's a local product. I also like the fact that, as of May 23rd, he has an 83/4 K/BB in 50 IP. His level of competition is low, but those are still some very nice numbers.

dlocks
Role Player

Re: With the 2008 MLB Draft about a Week Away...

Postby dlocks » Wed May 28, 2008 4:49 pm

casey kelly.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 28, 2008 4:50 pm

BPA.

3 guys I'd take in a heartbeat who are unlikely to be there but might slip are Hosmer, Hicks and Odorizzi.

sporrer17
All-Star

Postby sporrer17 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Hosmer if he somehow slips to 19.

If not, which I doubt he will, I like Casey Kelly.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 am

I want someone to fall from the top 5 due to money concerns, only to have us scoop them up with a bonus the likes that have never been seen before

then i want to see an interview with hendry where he rips a picture of bud selig in half like sinead oconnor did with the pope's.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu May 29, 2008 3:49 am

hendry needs to start spreading a rumor that tim beckham has HIV

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:hendry needs to start spreading a rumor that tim beckham has HIV

Is Karl Malone drafting for the other 18 teams ahead of the Cubs?

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 am

Jemile Weeks

though I suspect the Brewers might take him to convince Rickie to resign

davearm2
All-Star

Postby davearm2 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:56 am

Cro Magnon wrote:Jemile Weeks

I'm not convinced the Brewers even want Rickie longterm.

His defense remains costly and his hitting is so streaky.

As that team sorts through who amongst their young core group to keep and who to let go, I think Weeks is at or near the top of the let go list.
Tim wrote:I'm still pulling for Dave.

sporrer17
All-Star

Postby sporrer17 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:09 pm

davearm2 wrote:
Cro Magnon wrote:Jemile Weeks

I'm not convinced the Brewers even want Rickie longterm.

His defense remains costly and his hitting is so streaky.

As that team sorts through who amongst their young core group to keep and who to let go, I think Weeks is at or near the top of the let go list.

He's gotta be. Other than his solid '06 (which was his worst year, power wise) he's never hit .240. He does get on base at a good clip and can steal some bases, but he doesn't seem like the type you invest long term money in.

Vanilla Ice
5-Time All-Star

Postby Vanilla Ice » Sat May 31, 2008 6:31 pm

I want Hosmer to fall

If not, Jake Odirizzi

Then Casey Kelly

dlocks
Role Player

Postby dlocks » Sat May 31, 2008 10:00 pm

Why do the cubs seem "set" on a High School player at 19??? Hunt may slip, and Cashner will almost certainly be avaiable, and if he's not, Fields will be! I don't see why we need another mark pawelek. Clearly this draft philosophy is not working for Mr. Wilken. I hope he decides on a college arm at 19. Anything else would be disapointing.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Sat May 31, 2008 10:03 pm

The only College arms that will be there will be relievers. I would rather them take the greater risk with higher upside than a college reliever with great stuff. (fwiw, the last college arm they took in the 1st was Brownlie or Grant Johnson if you wanted to use 1st pick in the draft for the Cubs).

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 31, 2008 10:08 pm

dlocks wrote:Why do the cubs seem "set" on a High School player at 19??? Hunt may slip, and Cashner will almost certainly be avaiable, and if he's not, Fields will be! I don't see why we need another mark pawelek. Clearly this draft philosophy is not working for Mr. Wilken. I hope he decides on a college arm at 19. Anything else would be disapointing.

Wilken didn't select Mark Pawelek.

I don't want a reliever like Cashner with the first round pick (and lest we forget, Wilken selected Cashner last year...and would likely have signed him if the DFA was still available).

dlocks
Role Player

Postby dlocks » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:54 am

PingHitter wrote:The only College arms that will be there will be relievers. I would rather them take the greater risk with higher upside than a college reliever with great stuff. (fwiw, the last college arm they took in the 1st was Brownlie or Grant Johnson if you wanted to use 1st pick in the draft for the Cubs).

And both Brownlie and Johnson had a prior history of arm problems. With the two guys this year (Cashner and Fields) that may be avaiable at 19, they have very impressive mechanics, and neither throw across their bodies. Heck in Cashner's case, he has only pitched 50 innings this year! Both of the arms are very fresh, and Fields's Slurve is almost unhittable. I'm just saying, I think passing on both of these guys would be a mistake.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:26 pm

dlocks wrote:
PingHitter wrote:The only College arms that will be there will be relievers. I would rather them take the greater risk with higher upside than a college reliever with great stuff. (fwiw, the last college arm they took in the 1st was Brownlie or Grant Johnson if you wanted to use 1st pick in the draft for the Cubs).

And both Brownlie and Johnson had a prior history of arm problems. With the two guys this year (Cashner and Fields) that may be avaiable at 19, they have very impressive mechanics, and neither throw across their bodies. Heck in Cashner's case, he has only pitched 50 innings this year! Both of the arms are very fresh, and Fields's Slurve is almost unhittable. I'm just saying, I think passing on both of these guys would be a mistake.

If we could get a starter, I would complain less about picking a college arm in the 1st... but if we actually used our pick to grab a reliever, that might be one of the worst decisions we could possibly make...

For the record, in terms of people who might be available, these are the guys I'd be going after.

Hosmer (obviously)
Hicks
Casey Kelly
Gerrit Cole
Jake O

I don't hate a Lawrie pick, but it certainly wouldn't be the way I'd go.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Rob wrote:If we could get a starter, I would complain less about picking a college arm in the 1st... but if we actually used our pick to grab a reliever, that might be one of the worst decisions we could possibly make...

We're in agreement here.

I get the feel that Lawrie will be gone before the Cubs pick, he seems to be rising quick. Seems like a classic Wilken pick.

dlocks
Role Player

Postby dlocks » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:32 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Rob wrote:If we could get a starter, I would complain less about picking a college arm in the 1st... but if we actually used our pick to grab a reliever, that might be one of the worst decisions we could possibly make...

We're in agreement here.

I get the feel that Lawrie will be gone before the Cubs pick, he seems to be rising quick. Seems like a classic Wilken pick.

I really hope hunt slips to us. I don't think its likely however. Even if he is sitting there at 19, wilkin will not have the guts to pick him because he's not an "athlete", which is really pathetic.
Last edited by dlocks on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:41 pm

can't gordon beckham be asking for $6M or something?

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:48 pm

casey kelly.

Hosmer if he somehow slips to 19.

If not, which I doubt he will, I like Casey Kelly.

Saber Scouting says we like him.

The Tigers, Cubs, and Yankees are all known to be on Kelly, and all appear willing to meet his over-slot pricetag to buy out his commitment to play QB and SS for the Vols, but would get some relief by being able to spread the bonus over five years under the dual sport provision by MLB. Here is Kiley’s in-depth Kelly update with video along with other mentions here, here, and here

http://www.saberscouting.com/drafttop100/

Kelly video here:
http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/05/08 ... eek-part3/

Coach C
5-Time All-Star

Postby Coach C » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Whatever the best player available is. To be honest with you, I don't really follow MLB Draft religiously as I would towards NFL Draft. I guess it's probably the fact that it's rarely talked about in today's sports, not to mention that there are alot of rounds to go through, and for my part, that I wouldn't even have a freakin clue where to start, other than that all I know is that a younger player is usually a high priority, for the most part depending on certain situations/scenerios.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:15 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:can't gordon beckham be asking for $6M or something?

Hosmer has Beckett/Porcello-like demands. O:)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:15 pm

dlocks wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

We're in agreement here.

I really hope hunt slips to us. I don't think its likely however. Even if he is sitting there at 19, wilkin will not have the guts to pick him because he's not an "athlete", which is really pathetic.

Vitters isn't exactly an "athlete."

badnews
All-Star

Postby badnews » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:32 am

Who knows who will drop... I didn't think guys like Matt Harvey or Lars Anderson would drop in years past. I just thought they'd be 1st round picks.

I'd be very pleased if the Cubs were able to get Aaron Hicks, failing that Brett Lawrie. Ethan Martin wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I'd rather have those three over Casey Kelly. Getting Robbie Ross, Mike Montgomery, or Brett DeVall at the compensation pick would be neato. If Melville fell out of the 1st round the Cubs would be wise to give him his money in a later round, but not too late (I don't think you can wait until the 12th round to pull the trigger).

I don't want to see any of these badass athletes who can't hit drafted high. ENOUGH. This Anthony Hewitt clown sounds like he's tailor-made for the Cubs. Raw, amazing athlete who can't hit for crap. Oh yeah, he's such an amazing athlete he projects as a 3b, not a shortstop. A Baseball America column linked the Cubs with their compensation pick to Destin Hood. If that happens and you don't see me for a while it's because I've broken my computer.

RedFlash
5-Time All-Star

Postby RedFlash » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:40 am

badnews wrote:I don't want to see any of these badass athletes who can't hit drafted high. ENOUGH. This Anthony Hewitt clown sounds like he's tailor-made for the Cubs. Raw, amazing athlete who can't hit for crap. Oh yeah, he's such an amazing athlete he projects as a 3b, not a shortstop. A Baseball America column linked the Cubs with their compensation pick to Destin Hood. If that happens and you don't see me for a while it's because I've broken my computer.

As to Destin Hood, incredible athlethe, but is there is a team that will pony up the money for "an athlete" like Hood. Remember Hood has signed schloarship to play for Nick Saban at Alabama. So, where looking at some good dough to get Hood (remember I am CT fan, so I am conflicted about this) to break away from playing at Alabama.

As a Alabama fan, I would love for him to stay at Alabama, and play football (I think he has higher upside as WR, to be honest). But something tells me, so team is going to buy into his athlethicism and hope he doesn't become like so many before a bust, because he can't translate athlethicism to actual baseball skills. I just hope the Cubs stay away from unproven athletes, and go with young men, who will actually help the Cubs within 5 yrs.
"Not worried about Dwyane and them, we're gonna kick their ass anyways."
Carlos Boozer.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”