2010 MLB Draft & Signings Thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Outshined_One
Blam.

Re: 2010 MLB Draft & Signings Thread

Postby Outshined_One » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Parker signed with the Rockies.

Kind of a lull going on right now, with everyone dissecting the first round signings. There should be a decent number of late round signings and news about the ones who got away trickling out over the next hour or so.

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Assuming no other big signings are announced any time soon...

-The Nationals take home the title of biggest spenders, with $11.5m in bonuses handed out.

-Despite spending $6.5m in signing bonuses, the Yankees are last in the AL East in signing bonus amounts.

-The Padres, White Sox, Braves, Phillies...and Cubs all come in at or below $4m.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Outshined_One wrote:Ranaudo just signed with the Red Sox, complete with $1.3m bonus.

Edit: Make that a major league deal worth $4.4m with the bonus. Yeowza.

Now I'm hearing 2.55 mil.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 am

Outshined_One wrote:Assuming no other big signings are announced any time soon...

-The Nationals take home the title of biggest spenders, with $11.5m in bonuses handed out.

-Despite spending $6.5m in signing bonuses, the Yankees are last in the AL East in signing bonus amounts.

-The Padres, White Sox, Braves, Phillies...and Cubs all come in at or below $4m.

How is that number figured? If I add up just what we signed out of the top 10 rounds, counting Szczur at 600,000(I know, he's got to commit before that becomes offical, but still) we're at 3.8 and some change. Once you add in the rest of what we signed, I figure we spent 5 mill, maybe a tad more......But, I have looked at what BA uses as a team's draft budget from year to year and it's always off from what the numbers add up to, if added individually too. Anyone know how these numbers are tabulated?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

davell wrote:How is that number figured? If I add up just what we signed out of the top 10 rounds, counting Szczur at 600,000(I know, he's got to commit before that becomes offical, but still) we're at 3.8 and some change. Once you add in the rest of what we signed, I figure we spent 5 mill, maybe a tad more......But, I have looked at what BA uses as a team's draft budget from year to year and it's always off from what the numbers add up to, if added individually too. Anyone know how these numbers are tabulated?

Those numbers are total signing bonuses based on official announcements (BA, subscription only). Andy Seiler's been keeping track of them on Twitter. If you add up all of the announced signing bonuses for the Cubs, you get $3,836,000 (assuming Szczur commits to baseball). That number will likely be somewhere over $4m once signing bonus info on Rhoderick, Harman, and Smith comes out.

Overall draft budgets would be much harder to figure out since teams rarely disclose terms for draftees (save for major league contracts). Signing bonuses are a pretty good measuring stick for how teams spent in the draft, given that lack of publicly available information.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am

Outshined_One wrote:Pirates ink 2nd rounder Stetson Allie. They sign Taillon and they'll end up with the two best arms in the HS class from an upside perspective.

Plus they're amongst the leaders to sign Luis Heredia, the top international pitcher (and arguably a first round talent).

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 am

Barret Loux will be a free agent on September 1st.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”