2011 Cubs picks and signings thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: 2011 Cubs picks and signings thread

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 pm

CubColtPacer wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Did we ever sign the fat kid?

Vogelbach was signed and got 27 at-bats at rookie league this year.

Ah, cool.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:15 am

OleMissCub wrote:
CubColtPacer wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Did we ever sign the fat kid?

Vogelbach was signed and got 27 at-bats at rookie league this year.

Ah, cool.

Hopefully he'll be ready to do his Prince Fielder impersonation by the time Prince is getting paid to be mediocre.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

StarlinOnYou
Starter

Postby StarlinOnYou » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Not that it's an important question, but does anyone think the Cubs would have signed Jacquez if they knew this would be the last year they could go crazy with draft spending?

And how much different would this draft had of been for all the teams? I think we really lucked out.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:27 am

A lot of teams paid more aggressively this year in fear of it being the last year without hard slotting, not just the Cubs.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am

Baseball America wrote:The Cubs signed 37th-round Texas Christian senior Steven Maxwell on Feb. 2, then released him a day later.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 09, 2012 11:28 am

The best prospect not to sign from last year's Cubs draft:

@DMcComasOB: #UT freshman pitcher Ricky Jacquez no longer with Texas baseball team. #Longhorns

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:The best prospect not to sign from last year's Cubs draft:

@DMcComasOB: #UT freshman pitcher Ricky Jacquez no longer with Texas baseball team. #Longhorns

That's juicy I wonder what happened....He was a curveball of doom guy.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it. - Mark Twain

David
Hall of Fame

Re: 2011 Cubs picks thread

Postby David » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
John Klima wrote:Javier Baez is a nimble middle infielder with modest offensive potential, but if you can be a sure-handed middle infielder with the ability to spray the ball, you’ll be considered a good draft get. Baez is an adequate middle infielder who profiles at second base with contact spray ability.
His best abilities would be his footwork, quickness and soft hands up the middle. He has average range and an adequate arm. Offensively, he lacks raw power and doesn’t have game-changing speed. His BP rounds I saw I felt were also inadequate for the kind of pro hitter he’s going to have to be. Overall, some adjustments will be required. I’d call him a sound draft pick but not a premium player.

So how hilariously wrong was this?

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 am

David wrote:
John Klima wrote:Javier Baez is a nimble middle infielder with modest offensive potential, but if you can be a sure-handed middle infielder with the ability to spray the ball, you’ll be considered a good draft get. Baez is an adequate middle infielder who profiles at second base with contact spray ability.
His best abilities would be his footwork, quickness and soft hands up the middle. He has average range and an adequate arm. Offensively, he lacks raw power and doesn’t have game-changing speed. His BP rounds I saw I felt were also inadequate for the kind of pro hitter he’s going to have to be. Overall, some adjustments will be required. I’d call him a sound draft pick but not a premium player.

I mean he did say he doesn't have game-changing speed... :-"
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:28 am

Who the hell is John Klima? Like is that the equivalent of DA Bum writing a scouting report?
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 pm

David wrote:

I mean, if we want to really give him the benefit of the doubt, that did come before Baez played his full senior season, so maybe his opinion would have changed. But it's a good reminder of how much can change with draft reports, especially for high schoolers.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:27 pm

David wrote:

I mean, if we want to really give him the benefit of the doubt, that did come before Baez played his full senior season, so maybe his opinion would have changed. But it's a good reminder of how much can change with draft reports, especially for high schoolers.

Maybe a learning experience to trust McLeod? Makes me maybe kinda ok with a Jackson pick if we do eventually end up with him.

bd811
Starter

Postby bd811 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 pm

A New Era wrote:
David wrote:

Maybe a learning experience to trust McLeod? Makes me maybe kinda ok with a Jackson pick if we do eventually end up with him.

McLeod didn't select Baez.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Yeah, and given the comments that he's made to what they felt about him prior to that draft (some positive, some negative - didn't know if he was gonna be Manny or flame out in A ball or whatever), I'm not even certain he would have.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:50 pm

It's a good reminder that every dork who can afford to put up a website doesn't necessarily have an opinion worth listening to.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:09 pm

I know it was a Wilken pick but I meant as far as Jackson also being a HSer and the fact that it's been said McLeod loves him and really good scouts can see stuff in HSers before most of us can.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”