2011 Cubs picks and signings thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Shilzzz
All-Star

Re: 2011 Cubs picks and signings thread

Postby Shilzzz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:50 pm

WeGotWood98 wrote:
Shilzzz wrote:just to throw my hat in the thread, i am ecstatic that the cubs did as much as they have this year with amatuers (internationals incl). however, i still think the players they are targeting are so raw, and our organization so fundamentally flawed, that there is destined to be some big time flops, unless different front office people are brought in sooner than later. in an organ where patience is not practiced, and players seem to decline more often than improve, raw is not always the best thing. i think some of these guys profile as types that will usurp the obstacles in front of them (particularly dunston and baez, though maples is the poster boy for arms that hendry's coaches destroy or make bullpen fodder), and that we signed enough upside guys to make the cushion of failure more tolerable, but if one of vogelbach, gretzky, and hoilman end up being an everyday 1b in the majors we will have been fortunate. i also wonder if all these 1b is a further sign of ricketts and co having no intention on going long term with pujols or fielder, and rather stopgapping with pena (which is not the worst option, really). again, i think this is the best draft easily in years, if not as long as i've been alive enough to be a baseball fan, but i think that the whole keith law-is-a-dick-to-cubs-fans-and-prospects thing is kind of true in so far as most cubs guys don't pan out, and as a career move it's not the dumbest one to pick.

There would still be flops...many, many flops.

right, absolutely. i guess my point was more aimed at how to curb the amount of flops, specifically with the higher ceiling guys. also, that the compensation of lack of obp skills by good hand guys is an interesting strategy that says much more about the cubs front office than surface level.
yeezy taught me

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:32 pm

You aren't going to find high ceiling guys with a small likelihood of flopping outside of the 1st round.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:32 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:You aren't going to find high ceiling guys with a small likelihood of flopping outside of the 1st round.

Even the ones available in the first round are normally gone in the first five picks.

videographer
Role Player

Postby videographer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:12 am

I am happy to read Tim Wilkens' comments about the talent the Cubs have signed. I cannot recall a Cubs draft with this many high school prospects and its easy to get excited. However, they are 18 and 19 year olds. A lot changes in 4 or 5 years. The rule of thumb for a team's draft is that 5% to 10% of the 50 drafted will make it to MLB. That means this Cubs' draft will yield 2-5 players on average with a possible 7 or 8 for an exceptional year. That is a lot of failure for such bright futures. Yet, survival of the best is what competition is all about.

I am making these comments because it is easy to want all of them to succeed and patience is very hard when looking at box scores day-after-day. I find the most important thing about this year's draft is the financial commitment made by the Ricketts to hire more scouts and sign higher ceiling/bigger bust amateur talent - not only in this draft, but also Dominican/Asian/ European amateurs. I cannot remember a time when Cubs' ownership has done so much with amateur talent in one year and I hope it continues for years to come.

Now, we wait and see if the Cubs can develop this talent and find some difference makers.
"I'd rather be the train not the rail."

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 am

Tim wrote:The official list from the Cubs is in the attachment.

Tim, where did you get the official list? It includes Elias, whose agreement was reported some time ago. And who was listing on BA's list for some time.

But now today BA has un-bolded him. I wonder if that's a mistake, or if something is really up and he's unsigned?

Hrubes20
Role Player

Postby Hrubes20 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:31 am

craig wrote:

Tim, where did you get the official list? It includes Elias, whose agreement was reported some time ago. And who was listing on BA's list for some time.

But now today BA has un-bolded him. I wonder if that's a mistake, or if something is really up and he's unsigned?

38th rounder Casey Lucchese was unbolded as well. Wilken himself said that 34 picks were signed, which would have included both Elias and Lucchese. Interesting to follow, although BA has had this happen a few times already. I believe they had DeVoss bolded, unbolded, and then re-bolded a day later.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:27 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Sorry I don't follow these threads as day to day as you guys, so I claim partial ignorance. I am just curious as to whether it's a recent trend for teams to sign post-1st round picks so far above slot? I just remember when Shark was signed and how the MLB was pissed that we went so far over slot. I know he was a 4th rounder and we gave him $10 mil, which even this year would be insanely over slot, but I remember the prevailing thought being not to abuse the system by going way overslot to sign your draft picks. Now it seems like teams reguarly ignore the slot system when making picks and signing them.

Is this becoming a problem that is going to be addressed at some point, perhaps the next CBA negotiations? I would hate to see this practice stopped now that the Cubs seem to finally be realzing the value of exploiting their resources in the draft.

Re: the CBA. Bud wants it addressed but it sounds like it won't happen.

John Havok (Lethbridge, AB): Chances of a hard cap slot system being introduced in the next CBA in your opinion and why/why not?

Jim Callis: I'm hearing next to zero. MLB wanted it, but it's not going to happen. If MLB got hard slotting, they'd also have to a) give up something worth more than what hard slotting would save; b) and cause more unintended consequences for the draft. I'll be very surprised if the MLBPA ever agrees to a cap of any kind. I think we'll get an earlier signing deadline (July 15?) next year, and maybe lesser free-agent compensation as part of the new CBA, but not hard slotting.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote: Jim Callis: I'm hearing next to zero. MLB wanted it, but it's not going to happen. If MLB got hard slotting, they'd also have to a) give up something worth more than what hard slotting would save; b) and cause more unintended consequences for the draft. I'll be very surprised if the MLBPA ever agrees to a cap of any kind. I think we'll get an earlier signing deadline (July 15?) next year, and maybe lesser free-agent compensation as part of the new CBA, but not hard slotting.

Sounds to me like both things are big market team friendly and player friendly, with smaller market teams being the losers.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Small market teams aren't even necessarily losers either, the Royals and Pirates spent huge money this year.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Small market teams aren't even necessarily losers either, the Royals and Pirates spent huge money this year.

Yeah but there's surely an opportunity cost. If a team like the Pirates spends a ton on the draft, that's less they spend on the team. How have the Rays spent since their rebuilding plan starting churning out winning teams? Just curious because their payroll spiked when they got good (as you'd expect).
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Small market teams aren't even necessarily losers either, the Royals and Pirates spent huge money this year.

If the costs of signing draft picks goes unchecked, it will become harder and harder for small market teams to compete in that department. And if free agent compensation goes down, it will be harder to keep replacing your own guys when they get too expensive.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Big market teams don't lose free agents? Draft pick compensation is more helpful to the big markets than the small.

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Big market teams don't lose free agents? Draft pick compensation is more helpful to the big markets than the small.

I thought that too, but the current draft doesn't support that. 17 of the 27 compensatory picks went to teams that were in the bottom 10 of payroll in 2010. That was mostly 3 teams (Tampa Bay, Toronto, and San Diego) who combined for 14 of those. The big gap was in the middle. 5 went to the top 5 payroll teams, 5 went to the next 15, and then 17 to the last 10. I don't know if that's supported by previous years though.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Maybe I'll take a longer look at it after work, but my recollection was that the big market teams benefitted more because they had the bigger name free agents. (Some possibly coming over via trade from those small market teams. On top of it, if you have the #1 draft pick in a given year, it's unlikely you've got any A or B free agents to gain compensation from. So now you have the #1 pick in the draft, and rather than your 2nd round pick being #31 overall, your 2nd round pick is #61.

seattlecub
Role Player

Postby seattlecub » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Didn't see this already. Callis says in the BA Draft Blog that Cubs spent fourth most in draft ($11,954,550 — heartening) behind Pirates, Nats and Royals. Those four along with D'Backs spent more than previous draft record set last year by Nats.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:55 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Big market teams don't lose free agents? Draft pick compensation is more helpful to the big markets than the small.

The general flow of free agents is away from smaller teams and toward bigger teams, making the net effect bigger on smaller teams. Additionally, there aren't a lot of ways for a smaller market team to win. Bigger teams have all sorts of flexibility. Smaller teams, who actually try, would be more dependant on that flow back of comp picks.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:33 pm

craig wrote:

I'm on the press list for the Cubs. It came directly from them.
Spoiler: show

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:32 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

The general flow of free agents is away from smaller teams and toward bigger teams, making the net effect bigger on smaller teams. Additionally, there aren't a lot of ways for a smaller market team to win. Bigger teams have all sorts of flexibility. Smaller teams, who actually try, would be more dependant on that flow back of comp picks.

2010 Supplemental picks

Kaleb Cowart (Angels-1) - Pick from Mariners as compensation for Free Agent Chone Figgins
Michael Foltynewicz (Astros-1) - Pick from Tigers as compensation for Free Agent Jose Valverde
Kolbrin Vitek (Red Sox-1) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Billy Wagner
Cameron Bedrosian (Angels-1) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent John Lackey
Michael Kvasnicka (Astros-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jose Valverde
Aaron Sanchez (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Marco Scutaro
Matt Lipka (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mike Gonzalez
Bryce Brentz (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Billy Wagner
Taylor Lindsey (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chone Figgins
Anthony Ranaudo (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Bay
Ryan Bolden (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent John Lackey
Asher Wojciechowski (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Rod Barajas
Drew Vettleson (Rays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gregg Zaun
Taijuan Walker (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Adrian Beltre
Nick Castellanos (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon
Luke Jackson (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ivan Rodriguez
Seth Blair (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark DeRosa
Peter Tago (Rockies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Marquis
Chance Ruffin (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Fernando Rodney
Michael Olt (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Marlon Byrd
Tyrell Jenkins (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Joel Pineiro
Todd Cunningham (Braves-2) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Mike Gonzalez
Brandon Workman (Red Sox-2) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Jason Bay
Justin Nicolino (Blue Jays-2) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent Marco Scutaro

A.J. Pollock (Diamondbacks-1) - Pick from Dodgers as compensation for Free Agent Orlando Hudson
Randal Grichuk (Angels-1) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Francisco Rodriguez
Mike Trout (Angels-1) - Pick from Yankees as compensation for Free Agent Mark Teixeira
Nick Franklin (Mariners-1) - Pick from Phillies as compensation for Free Agent Raul Ibanez
Tim Wheeler (Rockies-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Brian Fuentes
Steven Baron (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Raul Ibanez
Rex Brothers (Rockies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brian Fuentes
Matthew Davidson (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Orlando Hudson
Aaron Miller (Dodgers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Derek Lowe
James Paxton (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent A.J. Burnett
Josh Phegley (White Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Orlando Cabrera
Kentrail Davis (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent CC Sabathia
Tyler Skaggs (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark Teixeira
Chris Owings (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Juan Cruz
Garrett Richards (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Francisco Rodriguez
Bradley Boxberger (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jeremy Affeldt
Tanner Scheppers (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Milton Bradley
Michael Belfiore (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon
Matthew Bashore (Twins-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Dennys Reyes
Kyle Heckathorn (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brian Shouse
Tyler Kehrer (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jon Garland
Blake Smith (Dodgers-2) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Derek Lowe
Eric Smith (Diamondbacks-2) - Pick from Royals as compensation for Free Agent Juan Cruz
Trayce Thompson (White Sox-2) - Pick from Athletics as compensation for Free Agent Orlando Cabrera
Max Walla (Brewers-2) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent CC Sabathia
Robbie Shields (Mets-3) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent A.J. Burnett
Jake Marisnick (Blue Jays-3) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent A.J. Burnett

Ike Davis (Mets-1) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Tom Glavine
Carlos Gutierrez (Twins-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Torii Hunter
Shooter Hunt (Twins-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Torii Hunter
Jake Odorizzi (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Francisco Cordero
Zach Collier (Phillies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Aaron Rowand
Evan Frederickson (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Scott Linebrink
Conor Gillaspie (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Pedro Feliz
Jordan Lyles (Astros-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Trever Miller
Lance Lynn (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Troy Percival
Brett DeVall (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ron Mahay
Ryan Flaherty (Cubs-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Kendall
Wade Miley (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Livan Hernandez
Jeremy Bleich (Yankees-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Luis Vizcaino
Bryan Price (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Eric Gagne
Logan Forsythe (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Doug Brocail
Anthony Gose (Phillies-2) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Aaron Rowand

Kevin Ahrens (Blue Jays-1) - Pick from Rangers as compensation for Free Agent Frank Catalanotto
Blake Beavan (Rangers-1) - Pick from Astros as compensation for Free Agent Carlos Lee
Chris Withrow (Dodgers-1) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent Julio Lugo
Tim Alderson (Giants-1) - Pick from Dodgers as compensation for Free Agent Jason Schmidt
Michael Main (Rangers-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Gary Matthews
Wendell Fairley (Giants-1) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Moises Alou
Josh Smoker (Nationals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alfonso Soriano
Nick Noonan (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Moises Alou
Jon Gilmore (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Danys Baez
Todd Frazier (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Rich Aurilia
Julio Borbon (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Carlos Lee
Clayton Mortensen (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jeff Suppan
Travis d'Arnaud (Phillies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent David Dellucci
Brett Cecil (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Justin Speier
James Adkins (Dodgers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Julio Lugo
Kellen Kulbacki (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Woody Williams
Sean Doolittle (Athletics-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Barry Zito
Eddie Kunz (Mets-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Roberto Hernandez
Jackson Williams (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Schmidt
Neil Ramirez (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gary Matthews
Justin Jackson (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Frank Catalanotto
Drew Cumberland (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Dave Roberts
Nathan Vineyard (Mets-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chad Bradford
Josh Donaldson (Cubs-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Juan Pierre
Michael Burgess (Nationals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jose Guillen
Wes Roemer (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Craig Counsell
Charlie Culberson (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mike Stanton
Matt Mangini (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gil Meche
Kyle Lotzkar (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Scott Schoeneweis
Tommy Hunter (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark DeRosa
Nick Hagadone (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alex Gonzalez
Trystan Magnuson (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ted Lilly
Mitch Canham (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chan Ho Park
Jon Bachanov (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Adam Kennedy
Corey Brown (Athletics-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Frank Thomas
Brandon Hamilton (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jamie Walker
Ed Easley (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Miguel Batista
Ryan Dent (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Keith Foulke
Cory Luebke (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alan Embree
Danny Payne (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ryan Klesko
Jordan Zimmermann (Nationals-2) - Pick from Cubs as compensation for Free Agent Alfonso Soriano
Josh Fields (Braves-2) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Danys Baez
David Kopp (Cardinals-2) - Pick from Brewers as compensation for Free Agent Jeff Suppan
Grant Desme (Athletics-2) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Barry Zito
Scott Moviel (Mets-2) - Pick from Indians as compensation for Free Agent Roberto Hernandez
Eric Sogard (Padres-2) - Pick from Astros as compensation for Free Agent Woody Williams
Eric Eiland (Blue Jays-2) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Justin Speier
Eric Niesen (Mets-3) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Chad Bradford
Scott Carroll (Reds-3) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Rich Aurilia
Brandon Workman (Phillies-3) - Pick from Indians as compensation for Free Agent David Dellucci
Last edited by SouthSideRyan on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Eyeballing it, I don't see an advantage to big or small market teams. The system certainly needs to be overhauled in some fashion when Rafael Soriano is worth the same compensation as Cliff Lee.

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Eyeballing it, I don't see an advantage to big or small market teams. The system certainly needs to be overhauled in some fashion when Rafael Soriano is worth the same compensation as Cliff Lee.

Maybe do something where compensation is at least partially based on contract value? That separates out your superstars from everybody else. It's probably the most objective way of determining market value (although not perfect). It's a fair system for small market teams because it rewards them most for the players they have the toughest time keeping. It helps players out because declining players won't have trouble finding jobs just because their team offered them arbitration. And if you separate out the picks over several rounds, there isn't such a huge gulf between picks for any team.

Shilzzz
All-Star

Postby Shilzzz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Nick Castellanos (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon

boy, i'd take that trade 8 days a week.
yeezy taught me

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:46 pm

i think you're seeing the small market teams be smarter about offering arbitration to pick up supplemental picks, hanging onto those types of players and offering them arby rather than trading them for marginal prospects at the deadline. and they're also not signing as many average veterans (losing draft picks and wasting money in the process). it's pretty clear from what the devil rays, royals, pirates and nats have been doing that a number of those small market organizations are placing a lot more resources in the young player procurement and development area, which of course is the right way to go for them.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Imagine if the Pirates and Royals didn't essentially get skipped in the 2nd round this year as punishment for not having good enough free agents on their team.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Chad Qualls had an ERA above 7 last year and netted the Rays a supplemental pick.

Brad Hawpe was released by the Rockies with a month left in the season. The Rays picked him up, paid him ~75K for 46 replacement level PAs and netted a supplemental pick.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Chad Qualls had an ERA above 7 last year and netted the Rays a supplemental pick.

Brad Hawpe was released by the Rockies with a month left in the season. The Rays picked him up, paid him ~75K for 46 replacement level PAs and netted a supplemental pick.

lol didn't know the brad hawpe thing... there are definitely some problems with the system that need to be (and hopefully will be) addressed. it wouldn't be surprised to see these things continue, though, because the draft and arbitration-eligibleness tend to rank pretty low on the list of concerns.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”