2011 Cubs picks and signings thread

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Re: 2011 Cubs picks and signings thread

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Ryan Flaherty (Cubs-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Kendall

I definitely like this one.

Josh Donaldson (Cubs-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Juan Pierre

This one 2, considering Donaldson(along with Murton whose in Japan and Gallagher and E Patt, both of whom I've completely lost track of) netted us Rich Harden, although harden didn't quite work out as well as we would have liked.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Also, why are the Padres spending a combined 5.5M on Qualls and Hawpe???
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Speechless. Ricketts made this draft class signing period like Christmas morning. Unreal showing and Jacquez was basically the only guy we missed out on. Zimmer maybe. But to spend 12 mill on the class was flat out great. I think our system is well on the way to being a top 5 system in all of baseball within 2 or 3 years and at this point I could see it staying there too. Definitely on board with Ricketts now. Questioned his motives before but this has turned me into a believer for sure.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 am

West Side Rooter wrote:
Ryan Flaherty (Cubs-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Kendall

This one 2, considering Donaldson(along with Murton whose in Japan and Gallagher and E Patt, both of whom I've completely lost track of) netted us Rich Harden, although harden didn't quite work out as well as we would have liked.

Gallagher's with the Pirates AAA club. He's been a big disappointment. I was huge on him, but he just never developed. I know some A's fans thought they ruined his arm (can't remember the specific incident) so maybe that has something to do with it.

E.Patt's with the Padres AAA squad. At this stage, he is what he is, a useful depth guy in AAA who will occasionally get a look in the bigs.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Lucchese signed for a $1,000 bonus on June 14, but the contract was later voided.

- BA

Elias has been re-bolded.

New bonus information:

Justin Marra - $110,000 bonus
John Andreoli - $134,600 bonus
Taiwan Easterling - $150,000 bonus
Ian Dickson - $100,000 bonus

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:02 pm

toonsterwu wrote:
West Side Rooter wrote:

Gallagher's with the Pirates AAA club. He's been a big disappointment. I was huge on him, but he just never developed. I know some A's fans thought they ruined his arm (can't remember the specific incident) so maybe that has something to do with it.

E.Patt's with the Padres AAA squad. At this stage, he is what he is, a useful depth guy in AAA who will occasionally get a look in the bigs.

Following in his brothers footsepts, huh?

Hrubes20
Role Player

Postby Hrubes20 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Lucchese signed for a $1,000 bonus on June 14, but the contract was later voided.

- BA

New bonus information:

Dear Lord. Marra was an alright bonus, and Easterling's can be spread out over a few years due to the 2 sport thing. But $135K for Andreoli? Yikes.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Hrubes20 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

- BA

New bonus information:

Dear Lord. Marra was an alright bonus, and Easterling's can be spread out over a few years due to the 2 sport thing. But $135K for Andreoli? Yikes.

Agreed. Seems excessive.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:29 pm

davell wrote:Speechless. Ricketts made this draft class signing period like Christmas morning. Unreal showing and Jacquez was basically the only guy we missed out on. Zimmer maybe. But to spend 12 mill on the class was flat out great. I think our system is well on the way to being a top 5 system in all of baseball within 2 or 3 years and at this point I could see it staying there too. Definitely on board with Ricketts now. Questioned his motives before but this has turned me into a believer for sure.

I like his approach to leaving Hendry to know the players and make reaches (then negotiate with them) in spite of having fired him.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:25 pm

stuy119 wrote:
davell wrote:Speechless. Ricketts made this draft class signing period like Christmas morning. Unreal showing and Jacquez was basically the only guy we missed out on. Zimmer maybe. But to spend 12 mill on the class was flat out great. I think our system is well on the way to being a top 5 system in all of baseball within 2 or 3 years and at this point I could see it staying there too. Definitely on board with Ricketts now. Questioned his motives before but this has turned me into a believer for sure.

I like his approach to leaving Hendry to know the players and make reaches (then negotiate with them) in spite of having fired him.

Wilken was running the draft room, and Ricketts seemed to build a strong rapport with Wilken. Despite his history in scouting, I've been under the impression that Hendry, during his tenure as GM, has largely let his scouting directors run the draft, and particularly in recent years, due to Wilken's stature in the industry.

It also might give us insight as to why Ricketts was in the war room with Wilken.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:16 am

toonsterwu wrote:
stuy119 wrote:I like his approach to leaving Hendry to know the players and make reaches (then negotiate with them) in spite of having fired him.

Wilken was running the draft room, and Ricketts seemed to build a strong rapport with Wilken. Despite his history in scouting, I've been under the impression that Hendry, during his tenure as GM, has largely let his scouting directors run the draft, and particularly in recent years, due to Wilken's stature in the industry.

It also might give us insight as to why Ricketts was in the war room with Wilken.

I think Hendry has always been very good at letting people he hires have full authority in their domain. So I have no doubt but that Wilken was running the draft room, just as Fleita has been given full authority to run the farm, etc. Hendry has been very empowering to those guys and to his managers as well. I think Hendry has been so non-obnoxious that his involvements in those areas are non-interfering and non-threatening. And from that standpoint I think he has been somewhat involved with the draft at two levels.

I know that he has sometimes scouted draft prospects and submitted scouting reports, just like an area scout or crosschecker would. Not sure how many, or whether those are very intentional or targeted. For all I know could be a case where he's visiting a friend, or where he's on a trip someplace for some reason, and if there happens to be a draftable prospect who's playing somewhere he goes to watch the kid and files a report. But I do know that he has filed reports that go into the data bank just like any other scout.

I believe that he has been heavily involved in the signing process. I've been surprised, he's a main guy in the signing negotiations with many of the draftees. Certainly with the big tickets. I thought it interesting that Wilken said on Monday night that Hendry had told him things were looking very much at risk with Vogelbach's signing. It wan't Wilken negotiating and telling Hendry, it was Hendry negotiating and keeping Wilken updated.

I expect that Hendry has been pretty good at this. He knows all the agents, and he's always been great at making players feel wanted and making them feel like they'll be taken care of well. It's not just the big tickets, either, Vogelbach and Szczur. An 8th rounder like Dugas was interacting with Hendry, not just an area scout, about his deal. So I think he has been a major player in the process, and was still almost certainly a major player in the Maples/Dunston/Baez/Vogelbach signings last weekend.

I do wonder to some degree whether Hendry might not have established a reputation as a dealmaker who will always pay whatever he needs to to get what he wants. If you push him to the limit, he'll pay what you want for a draft pick, for a free agent, or for a Garza or Pierre. Don't know, but I guess I wonder whether he hasn't been quite as tough as perhaps some GM's and has tended to be willing to be a little generous, and perhaps some agents have taken advantage a little.

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:37 pm

craig wrote:I do wonder to some degree whether Hendry might not have established a reputation as a dealmaker who will always pay whatever he needs to to get what he wants. If you push him to the limit, he'll pay what you want for a draft pick, for a free agent, or for a Garza or Pierre. Don't know, but I guess I wonder whether he hasn't been quite as tough as perhaps some GM's and has tended to be willing to be a little generous, and perhaps some agents have taken advantage a little.

That fills in a lot of gaps

Shilzzz
All-Star

Postby Shilzzz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 pm

did you say something about filling gaps?
yeezy taught me

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am

QUICK TAKE
In his second draft as owner, Tom Ricketts showed his commitment to development with a club-record $12 million in bonuses. Chicago loaded up on position players and got a premium arm in Maples.
Bonus Spending: $12.0 million

BA has a more in-depth breakdown of the Cubs draft in the link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/d ... 12507.html

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:56 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
QUICK TAKE
In his second draft as owner, Tom Ricketts showed his commitment to development with a club-record $12 million in bonuses. Chicago loaded up on position players and got a premium arm in Maples.
Bonus Spending: $12.0 million

BA has a more in-depth breakdown of the Cubs draft in the link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/d ... 12507.html

Any subscibers feel in a giving mood?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Give me about an hour and I'll post it (going home for lunch to a computer where BA isn't blocked).

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

POSITION PLAYERS

BEST PURE HITTER: The Cubs signed several impressive bats, starting with SS Javier Baez (1). He had the best bat speed in the entire draft. Among the other hitters Chicago has hopes for, three are catchers—Neftali Rosario (6), Justin Marra (15) and Rafael Lopez (16). BEST POWER HITTER: Signed for $1.6 million, 1B Dan Vogelbach (2) won the 2010 Power Showcase, a high school home run derby, and blasted one ball 508 feet. Baez and 1Bs Paul Hoilman (19) and Rock Shoulders (25) all have above-average pop. FASTEST RUNNER: 2B Zeke DeVoss (3) can run the 60-yard dash in 6.45 seconds and swiped 16 bases in 42 pro games. He's a half-step quicker than OFs Shawon Dunston Jr. (11), Trey Martin (13) and Taiwan Easterling (27). BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER: Martin has advanced center-field skills as well as a solid arm. The Cubs believe Baez can stay at shortstop with his average range and plus-plus arm.

PITCHERS

BEST FASTBALL: Coming out of the bullpen, RHP Tony Zych (4) operates at 94-97 mph and hits 99. RHP Dillon Maples (14) pitches at 92-96 mph as a starter. BEST SECONDARY PITCH: Maples has an above-average curveball and commands it. RHP Michael Jensen (26) pairs a plus curve with a 91-94 mph fastball.

ODDS AND ENDS

BEST PRO DEBUT: Hoilman led the short-season Northwest League in homers (17), extra-base hits (30), total bases (126)—but also strikeouts (105). Lopez, who hit .319 with six homers, joined him on the NWL all-star team. BEST ATHLETE: Dunston and Martin both offer speed, defense and power potential. Easterling caught 108 passes in three years as a wide receiver at Florida State. Maples would have kicked for North Carolina's football team if Chicago hadn't given him a $2.5 million bonus. MOST INTRIGUING BACKGROUND: The Cubs selected Dunston's father No. 1 overall in the 1982 draft, and he played 18 big league seasons. OF/3B Trevor Gretzky's (7) dad Wayne is the NHL's all-time leading scorer. SS Daniel Lockhart's (10) father Keith played in the majors and signed him and Martin in his first year as a Cubs area scout. Unsigned OF Bradley Zimmer's (23) brother Kyle is a potential first-round pick in 2012, and they'll play together at the University of San Francisco. CLOSEST TO THE MAJORS: Zych might not need much more than a year in the minors before he can help Chicago's bullpen. BEST LATE-ROUND PICK: The Cubs gave seven-figure bonuses to Maples and Dunston ($1.275 million). They also are high on the less-costly Martin, Marra, Jensen and Easterling. In the bargain category, RHP P.J. Francescon (40) showed a 90-93 mph fastball after signing for $1,000. THE ONE WHO GOT AWAY: RHP Ricky Jacquez (39) is 5-foot-9 yet has a 92-97 mph fastball and a hammer curveball. He couldn't be diverted from attending Texas.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm

@SDUNSTONJR: Me and my boy @T_Martin_26 best athletes in the cubs draft this yr!! #LetsGo

KingKongvs.Godzilla
All-Star

Postby KingKongvs.Godzilla » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:31 pm

I liked the Trey Martin pick at the time despite knowing nothing about him, so I hope he's actually something.

Not even a mention of Taylor Scott the 5th rounder amongst the pitchers. He's as projectable as anyone the Cubs drafted, and amongst the best athletes. His present stuff is probably a notch below the guys mentioned so it's understandable...I like Jensen but I like Scott a little more. He and Schlect are probably my favorite amongst the guys not mentioned. Oh and Austin Urban.
Most people think Great God will come from the sky. Take away evrything, and make evrybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, you would look for yours on eart. And now you see the light, you stand up for right - Bob Marley

Beane/Randolph 2012

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 am

On a random note, Sonny Gray was someone I wanted us to take a really close look at last year (and i'm sure we did since we had already drafted him before). His stats, already in AA last year, 5 games started, 0.45 ERA, 8.1 K/9. Sample size sure, but it makes me wonder. Obviously way to early on both him and Baez to even make preliminary conclusions, but it's slow and i'd thought i'd throw that out there.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:05 am

RammyFanny wrote:On a random note, Sonny Gray was someone I wanted us to take a really close look at last year (and i'm sure we did since we had already drafted him before). His stats, already in AA last year, 5 games started, 0.45 ERA, 8.1 K/9. Sample size sure, but it makes me wonder. Obviously way to early on both him and Baez to even make preliminary conclusions, but it's slow and i'd thought i'd throw that out there.

With Gray, the questions are not only if he'll be able to make it as a productive pitcher, but if he'll be able to avoid injury and remain one for any length of time.
Spoiler: show

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Big market teams don't lose free agents? Draft pick compensation is more helpful to the big markets than the small.

The general flow of free agents is away from smaller teams and toward bigger teams, making the net effect bigger on smaller teams. Additionally, there aren't a lot of ways for a smaller market team to win. Bigger teams have all sorts of flexibility. Smaller teams, who actually try, would be more dependant on that flow back of comp picks.

2010 Supplemental picks

Kaleb Cowart (Angels-1) - Pick from Mariners as compensation for Free Agent Chone Figgins
Michael Foltynewicz (Astros-1) - Pick from Tigers as compensation for Free Agent Jose Valverde
Kolbrin Vitek (Red Sox-1) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Billy Wagner
Cameron Bedrosian (Angels-1) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent John Lackey
Michael Kvasnicka (Astros-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jose Valverde
Aaron Sanchez (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Marco Scutaro
Matt Lipka (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mike Gonzalez
Bryce Brentz (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Billy Wagner
Taylor Lindsey (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chone Figgins
Anthony Ranaudo (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Bay
Ryan Bolden (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent John Lackey
Asher Wojciechowski (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Rod Barajas
Drew Vettleson (Rays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gregg Zaun
Taijuan Walker (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Adrian Beltre
Nick Castellanos (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon
Luke Jackson (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ivan Rodriguez
Seth Blair (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark DeRosa
Peter Tago (Rockies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Marquis
Chance Ruffin (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Fernando Rodney
Michael Olt (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Marlon Byrd
Tyrell Jenkins (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Joel Pineiro
Todd Cunningham (Braves-2) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Mike Gonzalez
Brandon Workman (Red Sox-2) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Jason Bay
Justin Nicolino (Blue Jays-2) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent Marco Scutaro

A.J. Pollock (Diamondbacks-1) - Pick from Dodgers as compensation for Free Agent Orlando Hudson
Randal Grichuk (Angels-1) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Francisco Rodriguez
Mike Trout (Angels-1) - Pick from Yankees as compensation for Free Agent Mark Teixeira
Nick Franklin (Mariners-1) - Pick from Phillies as compensation for Free Agent Raul Ibanez
Tim Wheeler (Rockies-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Brian Fuentes
Steven Baron (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Raul Ibanez
Rex Brothers (Rockies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brian Fuentes
Matthew Davidson (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Orlando Hudson
Aaron Miller (Dodgers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Derek Lowe
James Paxton (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent A.J. Burnett
Josh Phegley (White Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Orlando Cabrera
Kentrail Davis (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent CC Sabathia
Tyler Skaggs (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark Teixeira
Chris Owings (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Juan Cruz
Garrett Richards (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Francisco Rodriguez
Bradley Boxberger (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jeremy Affeldt
Tanner Scheppers (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Milton Bradley
Michael Belfiore (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon
Matthew Bashore (Twins-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Dennys Reyes
Kyle Heckathorn (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brian Shouse
Tyler Kehrer (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jon Garland
Blake Smith (Dodgers-2) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Derek Lowe
Eric Smith (Diamondbacks-2) - Pick from Royals as compensation for Free Agent Juan Cruz
Trayce Thompson (White Sox-2) - Pick from Athletics as compensation for Free Agent Orlando Cabrera
Max Walla (Brewers-2) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent CC Sabathia
Robbie Shields (Mets-3) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent A.J. Burnett
Jake Marisnick (Blue Jays-3) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent A.J. Burnett

Ike Davis (Mets-1) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Tom Glavine
Carlos Gutierrez (Twins-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Torii Hunter
Shooter Hunt (Twins-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Torii Hunter
Jake Odorizzi (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Francisco Cordero
Zach Collier (Phillies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Aaron Rowand
Evan Frederickson (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Scott Linebrink
Conor Gillaspie (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Pedro Feliz
Jordan Lyles (Astros-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Trever Miller
Lance Lynn (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Troy Percival
Brett DeVall (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ron Mahay
Wade Miley (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Livan Hernandez
Jeremy Bleich (Yankees-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Luis Vizcaino
Bryan Price (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Eric Gagne
Logan Forsythe (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Doug Brocail
Anthony Gose (Phillies-2) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Aaron Rowand

Kevin Ahrens (Blue Jays-1) - Pick from Rangers as compensation for Free Agent Frank Catalanotto
Blake Beavan (Rangers-1) - Pick from Astros as compensation for Free Agent Carlos Lee
Chris Withrow (Dodgers-1) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent Julio Lugo
Tim Alderson (Giants-1) - Pick from Dodgers as compensation for Free Agent Jason Schmidt
Michael Main (Rangers-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Gary Matthews
Wendell Fairley (Giants-1) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Moises Alou
Josh Smoker (Nationals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alfonso Soriano
Nick Noonan (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Moises Alou
Jon Gilmore (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Danys Baez
Todd Frazier (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Rich Aurilia
Julio Borbon (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Carlos Lee
Clayton Mortensen (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jeff Suppan
Travis d'Arnaud (Phillies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent David Dellucci
Brett Cecil (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Justin Speier
James Adkins (Dodgers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Julio Lugo
Kellen Kulbacki (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Woody Williams
Sean Doolittle (Athletics-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Barry Zito
Eddie Kunz (Mets-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Roberto Hernandez
Jackson Williams (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Schmidt
Neil Ramirez (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gary Matthews
Justin Jackson (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Frank Catalanotto
Drew Cumberland (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Dave Roberts
Nathan Vineyard (Mets-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chad Bradford
Michael Burgess (Nationals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jose Guillen
Wes Roemer (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Craig Counsell
Charlie Culberson (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mike Stanton
Matt Mangini (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gil Meche
Kyle Lotzkar (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Scott Schoeneweis
Tommy Hunter (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark DeRosa
Nick Hagadone (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alex Gonzalez
Trystan Magnuson (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ted Lilly
Mitch Canham (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chan Ho Park
Jon Bachanov (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Adam Kennedy
Corey Brown (Athletics-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Frank Thomas
Brandon Hamilton (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jamie Walker
Ed Easley (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Miguel Batista
Ryan Dent (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Keith Foulke
Cory Luebke (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alan Embree
Danny Payne (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ryan Klesko
Jordan Zimmermann (Nationals-2) - Pick from Cubs as compensation for Free Agent Alfonso Soriano
Josh Fields (Braves-2) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Danys Baez
David Kopp (Cardinals-2) - Pick from Brewers as compensation for Free Agent Jeff Suppan
Grant Desme (Athletics-2) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Barry Zito
Scott Moviel (Mets-2) - Pick from Indians as compensation for Free Agent Roberto Hernandez
Eric Sogard (Padres-2) - Pick from Astros as compensation for Free Agent Woody Williams
Eric Eiland (Blue Jays-2) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Justin Speier
Eric Niesen (Mets-3) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Chad Bradford
Scott Carroll (Reds-3) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Rich Aurilia
Brandon Workman (Phillies-3) - Pick from Indians as compensation for Free Agent David Dellucci

I have nothing but crazed laughter at the fact that the Cubs two entries on the list are for Pierre and Kendall. I mean, I don't even know if that's a good or bad thing. At least we didn't resign them?
We are doomed.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Did we ever sign the fat kid?

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Careless wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Big market teams don't lose free agents? Draft pick compensation is more helpful to the big markets than the small.

The general flow of free agents is away from smaller teams and toward bigger teams, making the net effect bigger on smaller teams. Additionally, there aren't a lot of ways for a smaller market team to win. Bigger teams have all sorts of flexibility. Smaller teams, who actually try, would be more dependant on that flow back of comp picks.

2010 Supplemental picks

Kaleb Cowart (Angels-1) - Pick from Mariners as compensation for Free Agent Chone Figgins
Michael Foltynewicz (Astros-1) - Pick from Tigers as compensation for Free Agent Jose Valverde
Kolbrin Vitek (Red Sox-1) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Billy Wagner
Cameron Bedrosian (Angels-1) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent John Lackey
Michael Kvasnicka (Astros-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jose Valverde
Aaron Sanchez (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Marco Scutaro
Matt Lipka (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mike Gonzalez
Bryce Brentz (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Billy Wagner
Taylor Lindsey (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chone Figgins
Anthony Ranaudo (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Bay
Ryan Bolden (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent John Lackey
Asher Wojciechowski (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Rod Barajas
Drew Vettleson (Rays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gregg Zaun
Taijuan Walker (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Adrian Beltre
Nick Castellanos (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon
Luke Jackson (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ivan Rodriguez
Seth Blair (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark DeRosa
Peter Tago (Rockies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Marquis
Chance Ruffin (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Fernando Rodney
Michael Olt (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Marlon Byrd
Tyrell Jenkins (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Joel Pineiro
Todd Cunningham (Braves-2) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Mike Gonzalez
Brandon Workman (Red Sox-2) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Jason Bay
Justin Nicolino (Blue Jays-2) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent Marco Scutaro

A.J. Pollock (Diamondbacks-1) - Pick from Dodgers as compensation for Free Agent Orlando Hudson
Randal Grichuk (Angels-1) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Francisco Rodriguez
Mike Trout (Angels-1) - Pick from Yankees as compensation for Free Agent Mark Teixeira
Nick Franklin (Mariners-1) - Pick from Phillies as compensation for Free Agent Raul Ibanez
Tim Wheeler (Rockies-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Brian Fuentes
Steven Baron (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Raul Ibanez
Rex Brothers (Rockies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brian Fuentes
Matthew Davidson (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Orlando Hudson
Aaron Miller (Dodgers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Derek Lowe
James Paxton (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent A.J. Burnett
Josh Phegley (White Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Orlando Cabrera
Kentrail Davis (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent CC Sabathia
Tyler Skaggs (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark Teixeira
Chris Owings (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Juan Cruz
Garrett Richards (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Francisco Rodriguez
Bradley Boxberger (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jeremy Affeldt
Tanner Scheppers (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Milton Bradley
Michael Belfiore (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brandon Lyon
Matthew Bashore (Twins-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Dennys Reyes
Kyle Heckathorn (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Brian Shouse
Tyler Kehrer (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jon Garland
Blake Smith (Dodgers-2) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Derek Lowe
Eric Smith (Diamondbacks-2) - Pick from Royals as compensation for Free Agent Juan Cruz
Trayce Thompson (White Sox-2) - Pick from Athletics as compensation for Free Agent Orlando Cabrera
Max Walla (Brewers-2) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent CC Sabathia
Robbie Shields (Mets-3) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent A.J. Burnett
Jake Marisnick (Blue Jays-3) - Pick from NYA as compensation for Free Agent A.J. Burnett

Ike Davis (Mets-1) - Pick from Braves as compensation for Free Agent Tom Glavine
Carlos Gutierrez (Twins-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Torii Hunter
Shooter Hunt (Twins-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Torii Hunter
Jake Odorizzi (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Francisco Cordero
Zach Collier (Phillies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Aaron Rowand
Evan Frederickson (Brewers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Scott Linebrink
Conor Gillaspie (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Pedro Feliz
Jordan Lyles (Astros-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Trever Miller
Lance Lynn (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Troy Percival
Brett DeVall (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ron Mahay
Wade Miley (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Livan Hernandez
Jeremy Bleich (Yankees-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Luis Vizcaino
Bryan Price (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Eric Gagne
Logan Forsythe (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Doug Brocail
Anthony Gose (Phillies-2) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Aaron Rowand

Kevin Ahrens (Blue Jays-1) - Pick from Rangers as compensation for Free Agent Frank Catalanotto
Blake Beavan (Rangers-1) - Pick from Astros as compensation for Free Agent Carlos Lee
Chris Withrow (Dodgers-1) - Pick from Red Sox as compensation for Free Agent Julio Lugo
Tim Alderson (Giants-1) - Pick from Dodgers as compensation for Free Agent Jason Schmidt
Michael Main (Rangers-1) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Gary Matthews
Wendell Fairley (Giants-1) - Pick from Mets as compensation for Free Agent Moises Alou
Josh Smoker (Nationals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alfonso Soriano
Nick Noonan (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Moises Alou
Jon Gilmore (Braves-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Danys Baez
Todd Frazier (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Rich Aurilia
Julio Borbon (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Carlos Lee
Clayton Mortensen (Cardinals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jeff Suppan
Travis d'Arnaud (Phillies-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent David Dellucci
Brett Cecil (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Justin Speier
James Adkins (Dodgers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Julio Lugo
Kellen Kulbacki (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Woody Williams
Sean Doolittle (Athletics-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Barry Zito
Eddie Kunz (Mets-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Roberto Hernandez
Jackson Williams (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jason Schmidt
Neil Ramirez (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gary Matthews
Justin Jackson (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Frank Catalanotto
Drew Cumberland (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Dave Roberts
Nathan Vineyard (Mets-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chad Bradford
Michael Burgess (Nationals-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jose Guillen
Wes Roemer (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Craig Counsell
Charlie Culberson (Giants-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mike Stanton
Matt Mangini (Mariners-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Gil Meche
Kyle Lotzkar (Reds-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Scott Schoeneweis
Tommy Hunter (Rangers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Mark DeRosa
Nick Hagadone (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alex Gonzalez
Trystan Magnuson (Blue Jays-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ted Lilly
Mitch Canham (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Chan Ho Park
Jon Bachanov (Angels-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Adam Kennedy
Corey Brown (Athletics-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Frank Thomas
Brandon Hamilton (Tigers-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Jamie Walker
Ed Easley (Diamondbacks-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Miguel Batista
Ryan Dent (Red Sox-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Keith Foulke
Cory Luebke (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Alan Embree
Danny Payne (Padres-1s) - Supplemental Pick for loss of Free Agent Ryan Klesko
Jordan Zimmermann (Nationals-2) - Pick from Cubs as compensation for Free Agent Alfonso Soriano
Josh Fields (Braves-2) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Danys Baez
David Kopp (Cardinals-2) - Pick from Brewers as compensation for Free Agent Jeff Suppan
Grant Desme (Athletics-2) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Barry Zito
Scott Moviel (Mets-2) - Pick from Indians as compensation for Free Agent Roberto Hernandez
Eric Sogard (Padres-2) - Pick from Astros as compensation for Free Agent Woody Williams
Eric Eiland (Blue Jays-2) - Pick from Angels as compensation for Free Agent Justin Speier
Eric Niesen (Mets-3) - Pick from Orioles as compensation for Free Agent Chad Bradford
Scott Carroll (Reds-3) - Pick from Giants as compensation for Free Agent Rich Aurilia
Brandon Workman (Phillies-3) - Pick from Indians as compensation for Free Agent David Dellucci

I have nothing but crazed laughter at the fact that the Cubs two entries on the list are for Pierre and Kendall. I mean, I don't even know if that's a good or bad thing. At least we didn't resign them?

Pierre and Kendall were gimmes as well. They were both already signed to contracts by the arbitration deadline so there was no risk in offering them arbitration.

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:10 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Did we ever sign the fat kid?

Vogelbach was signed and got 27 at-bats at rookie league this year.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”