2013 Draft Discussion

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
seattlecub
Role Player

2013 Draft Discussion

Postby seattlecub » Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm

don't want to get ahead of myself, what with the 2012 draft still to come and the regular season still to play out, but it looks like we'll be picking fairly high in that draft (currently 3rd worst in MLB) so i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the relative strength of the potential draft prospects.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: any idea how the 2013 draft is ahaping up?

Postby toonsterwu » Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Others will chime in with a lot more information, but to my best understanding, at this early stage, the top of the 2013 draft looks far better than the top of this year's draft, with some intriguing arms and some intriguing bat potential. A long way to go, though. Off the top, Whitson/Stanek seem to top the college arm list, and Austin Wilson is probably the college bat that intrigues me the most.

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 pm

CR says Ryne Stanek from Arkansas would be the best pitcher in this draft, and he looks damn impressive on the stuff online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MIzCwmRNU

A little more conventional than Gausman, my favorite arm this year, mechanically.

Austin Wilson would be my bat of choice. He's a monster (6'5" 250) RF for Stanford who's hitting .297/.408/.526 this year with 20 BB, 14 HBP, 35 K's (fewer than Richie Shaffer, arguably the top college bat in this year's draft, despite the difference in size/length), 5/5 in SB, and big time pedigree. My only knock might be only 9 doubles, but his power ceiling is as high as any college bat that's come out in a while.

Karsten Whitson was a good pitching prospect in HS as was Dylan Covey, and both will be eligible. I'm not as big a fan of Whitson as I hear I should be, but I did like him alot in HS.

There's another college bat that was mentioned on minorleagueball, Dominic Ficociello, who plays 1B for the Razorbacks. I like his athleticism and etc, but he plays 1B and might not have the power. Some say he can play 3B but it's best to know for sure.

I'm thinking hope for Stanek or Wilson.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it. - Mark Twain

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 18, 2012 10:59 pm

seattlecub wrote:don't want to get ahead of myself, what with the 2012 draft still to come and the regular season still to play out, but it looks like we'll be picking fairly high in that draft (currently 3rd worst in MLB) so i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the relative strength of the potential draft prospects.

It might be a stronger draft than this year at the top but obviously nowhere near 2011. There are some real nice bats at the top. Karsten Whitson is a wild card. He was the 9th overall pick in 2010 but went to Florida instead. He was great as a freshman but he's been hurt a lot and has barely been hitting 90 of late. No idea on the HS class.

My top 4, in order, of the college players:

1. 3B Kris Bryant, San Diego - athletic, great plate discipline, immense power
2. RHP Ryne Stanek, Arkansas - 93-97 FB, power curve, potential plus slider, maintains FB velocity late in games; definite ace potential
3. 3B Colin Moran, North Carolina - has missed a lot of this season with injury
4. OF Austin Wilson, Stanford - still some questions about his pitch recognition/ability against offspeed pitches

After those 4, I like these guys in no particular order:

RHP Ryan Eades, LSU
RHP Jonathan Crawford, Florida
RHP Bobby Wahl, Ole Miss
1B Brian Ragira, Stanford
1B Dominic Ficociello, Arkansas
OF Michael Lorenzen, Cal State Fullerton

Biggest name prep guys:

C Jeremy Martinez, Mater Dei HS (Santa Ana, CA)
OF Austin Meadows, Grayson HS (Loganville, GA)
SS Oscar Mercado, Gaither HS (Tampa, FL)
RHP Clinton Hollon, Woodford County HS (Versailles, KY)

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Fri May 18, 2012 11:08 pm

CR is Bryant that good? How does he compare to other top college bats of the decade? My guess is his big advantage over Wilson will be position and contact ability, which are pretty big advantages. What kind of ceiling do you think he has?

I like Lorenzen.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it. - Mark Twain

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat May 19, 2012 11:51 am

There's a lot I like about Ryan Eades, and he might be better with another year to get stronger, but watching him pitch today reminded me that I really don't love his arm action/mechanics.

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Sat May 19, 2012 1:17 pm

What's so bad about Eades' arm action? It's not the best but a little reminiscent of a Jarrod Parker.

I want to see more of this Bryant fellow.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 19, 2012 5:16 pm

PriortoTheoIhadWood wrote:CR is Bryant that good? How does he compare to other top college bats of the decade? My guess is his big advantage over Wilson will be position and contact ability, which are pretty big advantages. What kind of ceiling do you think he has?

I like Lorenzen.

I like him better than Anthony Rendon (I bet Jim Callis won't), Pedro Alvarez and Dustin Ackley. I think Matt Wieters was better coming out of college.

Scroll down to Strike 3 in this link to read more on Bryant from earlier this month: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/col ... week-12-2/

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Sat May 19, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm sold. He's got the size (6'5" 22something), makes more contact than Wilson, has put up better all around numbers...Good to see the number of top players increase for a year the Cubs might have the pick of the litter.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun May 20, 2012 7:17 am

PriortoTheoIhadWood wrote:What's so bad about Eades' arm action? It's not the best but a little reminiscent of a Jarrod Parker.

I want to see more of this Bryant fellow.

Um ... is that a positive comparison? Because ... comparing his arm action/mechanics to Jarrod Parker's isn't all that positive IMO. Now, I've seen it argued that Parker's arm action was good, but that he was a mechanical mess, and more knowledgeable folks can dissect that (and I should've been clear, I'm not a fan of Eades general mechanics, at least, what I've seen. The arm action didn't look too clean, but one game is one game.). Furthermore, Parker has actually somewhat remade himself as a starter, by all indications, in an effort to limit the strain he puts on himself.

I don't think it's an end of the world type thing for Eades, but I don't love it.

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Re: any idea how the 2013 draft is shaping up?

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Parker had bad mechanics/arm action? Coulda fooled me...a little whippy early on but loose and easy to me.

Like any and every pitcher who has had TJ surgery he's bettered his mechanics since, but I don't think anyone thought he was poor mechanically before that.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm

PriortoTheoIhadWood wrote:Parker had bad mechanics/arm action? Coulda fooled me...a little whippy early on but loose and easy to me.

Like any and every pitcher who has had TJ surgery he's bettered his mechanics since, but I don't think anyone thought he was poor mechanically before that.

As an aside first, Parker's a different pitcher this year. He's going to the 2-seamer and the change-up a lot more to lessen his stress.

That said, there were definite concerns on his mechanics/arm action. One argument out there dealt with his arm action, IIRC (could be wrong), and another was that the arm action was fine (not superb, but fine), but that he had poor foot placement, or weight transfer, or something else that led to problems and increased stress.

I haven't paid attention to Parker in awhile, so I don't recall the specifics, but there was some concern a couple years ago.

Edit: So, on google, the only things I found right now were

a) A critique of his weight transfer. Lauded his arm action but said that the poor weight transfer was a big issue. Also critiqued his follow through.

http://baseballinstinct.com/2010/05/18/ ... od-parker/

b) A comment Parker made post-surgery to Adam Foster.
I just feel like post-surgery I began to finish over my front side a little more and get more out of my shoulder and take stress of my elbow.
Seems to sort of jive with baseballinstincts concerns on his transfer and follow through.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010 ... iew-part-1

____

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else on arm action concerns, but that's probably the gist of the mechanical concerns I was thinking of. I'll spend a few seconds digging after my conference call.

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 pm

toonsterwu wrote:As an aside first, Parker's a different pitcher this year. He's going to the 2-seamer and the change-up a lot more to lessen his stress.

That said, there were definite concerns on his mechanics/arm action. One argument out there dealt with his arm action, IIRC (could be wrong), and another was that the arm action was fine (not superb, but fine), but that he had poor foot placement, or weight transfer, or something else that led to problems and increased stress.

I haven't paid attention to Parker in awhile, so I don't recall the specifics, but there was some concern a couple years ago.

That aside sounds like he's just growing up as a pitcher. The 2 seamer and changeup are two pitches that have become hugely popular in the past decade amongst big leaguers along with the cutter. Both pitches have their logic...neither is as bad for the arm, 2 seamers get more groundballs/quick outs, chaneups are a safer offspeed alternative...They should be in everyone's arsenal and as guys get older they usually find their way in.

Here's a quote:

AF: Have you made any alterations to your mechanics upon return?

JP: Not anything big delivery-wise. I just feel like post-surgery I began to finish over my front side a little more and get more out of my shoulder and take stress of my elbow.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010 ... iew-part-1

Sounds like you might have guessed right with foot placement, but that's hardly an indictment on a young pitcher's overall mechanics. Anyone and everyone has an issue or two coming into the pros. I specifically remember Parker got much praise for his arm action coming out, though there was some worry that it might be "too" whippy (hence the elbow injury). Since the surgery he's tightened it up, but these problems don't sound like anything extreme or out of the ordinary.

I hope this doesn't have to go on for another 100,000 words.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon May 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Total aside, but no need to feel so chippy (saw the comment you deleted about vaguely specific scouting reports). We're on a site talking about baseball. Not exactly the most important thing in the world. I type fast, and I type a lot ... every sports site that I've been on knows that I don't type like kids do these days, with shorthand of some sort. I mean, you can go on Sickels and see my insanely long Cubs write-up for an insanely long post I made sports related (although I actually started that at the end of the season, so it really wasn't like I sat down and did that in one writing).

I apologize if you find my length of typing to be offensive ... but seriously, relax. It isn't you ... I just picked up CR's discussion on Raley/Rosario. I'd do that on a number of other topics as well. It's people talking about baseball.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm

I've found the discussion to be entertaining & rewarding, fwiw.
Spoiler: show

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon May 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Tim wrote:I've found the discussion to be entertaining & rewarding, fwiw.

Don't want to drag too far off topic from this thread's purpose here, but I really should reiterate ... I'm really not a big fan of Jae-Hoon Ha (and I admittedly did not realize he played some XST CF) and Jose Rosario (who I've said before I think wiill become a pen arm). I guess ... it's the old debater in me ....

____

PriortoTheoIhadWood
All-Star

Postby PriortoTheoIhadWood » Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 pm

toonsterwu wrote:

Total aside, but no need to feel so chippy (saw the comment you deleted about vaguely specific scouting reports). We're on a site talking about baseball. Not exactly the most important thing in the world. I type fast, and I type a lot ... every sports site that I've been on knows that I don't type like kids do these days, with shorthand of some sort. I mean, you can go on Sickels and see my insanely long Cubs write-up for an insanely long post I made sports related (although I actually started that at the end of the season, so it really wasn't like I sat down and did that in one writing).

I apologize if you find my length of typing to be offensive ... but seriously, relax. It isn't you ... I just picked up CR's discussion on Raley/Rosario. I'd do that on a number of other topics as well. It's people talking about baseball.

I don't find it offensive, keep doing it. Ita fun to chip (what's that?) at but this place is better for it.

Why even bring up the deletion? I took that out because I thought it was smarmy and really all scouting reports end up being more vague and generic than wanted/expected.

Plus, don't you notice that I type many words as well? I've been on Sickels forever (I created the first successful/tasteful thread about religion on the Internet there back when it was newish) and I was SenorGato on BCB last year. Words are fun and I like good debate (which those [expletive] at BCB don't offer, it's a gang mentality in there), especially baseball.

fan_in_China
Role Player

Postby fan_in_China » Tue May 22, 2012 5:58 am

(Disclaimer: Whenever I read mock drafts, and I slowly scroll down pretending I am the Cubs GM, I never do this, and I almost always take Correa)

This might belong in this years draft thread, but it strongly relates to this topic, so I'll put it here. Seeing the number of talented college guys (especially bats) in next years class really makes me want the Cubs to take Gio this year. Whoever picks him will have 3 possible outcomes:

1. (least likely) He doesn't regain his form, but he signs a cheaper deal to be safe with his only multimillion dollar asset.

2. He looks like a future ace again, and the Cubs have SP with CY upside. (significantly higher upside than the big 3 college guys)

3. He doesn't sign, and next year the Cubs get the no. 7 pick where they can take a college bat (the safest kind of prospect!). It would feel sad for a year, but it wouldn't really lose a year of development time given that the guys most often mocked to the Cubs (Correa, Fried, Almora) are high school guys that are far away.

There might be a large hole in my theory, but all 3 of those outcomes seem like giant wins for the cubs. Of course if Buxton or Zunino fall (or if Theo sees Arod/Machado/Montanez :( in Correa) I will be happy with any of those picks. That is just my 2 cents/10,000 words.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Tue May 22, 2012 8:17 am

Austin Wilson OF SO R-R 6-4 235 Stanford North Hollywood CA
Ryan Eades RHP SO B-R 6-3 195 Louisiana State Slidell LA
Austin Kubitza RHP SO L-R 6-5 205 Rice Colleyville TX
JaCoby Jones OF/3B SO R-R 6-3 200 Louisiana State Richton MS
Clinton Hollon RHP JR R-R 6-1 190 Woodford County Lexington KY
Josh Dezse RHP/1B SO R-R 6-5 225 Ohio State Powell OH
Bobby Wahl RHP SO R-R 6-4 200 Mississippi Springfield VA
Adam Plutko RHP SO R-R 6-3 190 UCLA Upland CA
Austin Meadows OF JR L-L 6-3 195 Grayson Loganville GA
Oscar Mercado SS JR R-R 6-1 170 Gaither Tampa FL
Chris Rivera SS JR R-R 6-0 175 El Dorado Anaheim CA

Kris Bryant 3B/1B SO R-R 6-5 205 San Diego Las Vegas NV
Michael Lorenzen OF/RHP SO R-R 6-3 195 Cal State Fullerton
Sheldon Neuse RHP JR R-R 6-0 170 Fossil Ridge Fort Worth TX
Reese McGuire C JR L-R 6-1 180 Kentwood Covington WA

In no order, HS in bold. It's a shame with Whitson, he was the consensus #1 overall pick for '13 coming into this season.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 am

I don't think Plutko sniffs the 1st round - he's 88-92 and has been since he stepped on campus. Knows how to pitch but that's not 1st round material.

I like JaCoby Jones a lot.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:I don't think Plutko sniffs the 1st round - he's 88-92 and has been since he stepped on campus. Knows how to pitch but that's not 1st round material.

I haven't followed UCLA much at all, I know going into this year he was a likely 1st.

Did you watch Jones/LSU vs. USC?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 am

UK wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:I don't think Plutko sniffs the 1st round - he's 88-92 and has been since he stepped on campus. Knows how to pitch but that's not 1st round material.

I haven't followed UCLA much at all, I know going into this year he was a likely 1st.

Did you watch Jones/LSU vs. USC?

Don't get me wrong, Plutko has been better statistically this year. I just see a great college pitcher who doesn't project too well in the big leagues.

Yeah, I caught some of that LSU-South Carolina series on ESPNU. Jones stood out. I really wanted to see Gausman but the rain out screwed that up.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue May 22, 2012 10:30 am

PriortoTheoIhadWood wrote:
toonsterwu wrote:

I don't find it offensive, keep doing it. Ita fun to chip (what's that?) at but this place is better for it.

Why even bring up the deletion? I took that out because I thought it was smarmy and really all scouting reports end up being more vague and generic than wanted/expected.

Plus, don't you notice that I type many words as well? I've been on Sickels forever (I created the first successful/tasteful thread about religion on the Internet there back when it was newish) and I was SenorGato on BCB last year. Words are fun and I like good debate (which those [expletive] at BCB don't offer, it's a gang mentality in there), especially baseball.

I figured you were SenorGato ... just wasn't a big enough issue for me to ask (largely because your comments on Archer seemed very similar in wording to your comments on Archer over at Sickels).

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 pm

And the Cubs currently have the #1 pick in the '13 draft.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 am

I doubt they'll end up with it, but I wouldn't mind them tanking for the top pick.

"Tank for Prior"

Return to “Amateur Baseball”