2013 Draft Discussion

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: 2013 Draft Discussion

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:20 pm

So is anyone surprised that not only have we not picked up an extra draft pick to this point, no one has? At least not in the time leading up to the draft.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:33 pm

KyleJRM wrote:So is anyone surprised that not only have we not picked up an extra draft pick to this point, no one has? At least not in the time leading up to the draft.

Well there are only 4 picks that are eligible to be traded at this point, and it takes two to tango, and there are probably a handful of other teams that also would like to acquire them, so the odds probably were never the greatest.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah, I am. I kind of think my earlier scenario could come into play though: A team(s) may have agreed upon deals already, but they only happen if the certain player a team has targeted is still on the board when its time to pick.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Churchill and Law are hearing that their is an above 50% chance that the Stro's take Appel. Console a terrified Cubs fan and tell me this isn't true!

David Rawnsley:
I was just told (3:55 pm) that the Astros are on either Kohl Stewart or Colin Moran. Don't underestimate their desire to get the deal done for the right price. Maybe they want Appel or Gray more, but they will do it at their price it seems.

David Rawnsley ‏@DavidRawnsleyPG 21m

Interesting, well placed source just told me that Astros are down to Stewart or Moran. Kohl would certainly be a surprise.

On one hand I wouldn't be surprised, on the other it's probably just usual misinformation.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:14 pm

RammyFanny wrote:
Churchill and Law are hearing that their is an above 50% chance that the Stro's take Appel. Console a terrified Cubs fan and tell me this isn't true!

David Rawnsley:
I was just told (3:55 pm) that the Astros are on either Kohl Stewart or Colin Moran. Don't underestimate their desire to get the deal done for the right price. Maybe they want Appel or Gray more, but they will do it at their price it seems.

I'm gonna go the imb route and bask in the awesomeness of all this confusion rather than get frustrated at possibly not getting Appel.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 pm

David wrote:I'm gonna go the imb route and bask in the awesomeness of all this confusion rather than get frustrated at possibly not getting Appel.

If by some accident real information got out in the next 100 minutes, it'd be impossible to tell it apart from all the disinformation being spread by teams and agents.

I'm still enjoying it, too, though.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm

John Arguello ‏@CubsDen 5m

Wowww! Astros always full of surprises. @DavidRawnsleyPG Well placed source just told me that Astros are down to Stewart or Moran.

This has to be last minute posturing against Appel/Gray, right?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Favorite 2 days of our season, until we're good again, for me. 3rd day doesn't make it though over the deadline or July 2nd.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 pm

It would be ballsy if they went Kohl Stewart, but I'd sort of applaud a gutsy move like that. Now, it could backfire, but the reports on the kid sound that good. I mean, he seems like a younger version of Jon Gray, a guy with a deeper arsenal, and a guy you can mold a bit more. Doesn't mean I'd want the Cubs to do it, but it would be a fairly ballsy and intriguing call, particularly if it came at the right price.

I mean, look at it this way, if they land Stewart at a cheaper cost, can get Manaea, and maybe overslot someone like Vanegas in the 3rd ... that would be a heck of a draft.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Is Vanegas even a 3rd round talent currently? I'd much rather over slot a HSer, at any rate.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm

davell wrote:Is Vanegas even a 3rd round talent currently? I'd much rather over slot a HSer, at any rate.

eh, was just picking a random guy.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 16m

Listening to 3b prospect Kris Bryant on radio out west now.Said meeting with Theo, etc was memorable no matter what happens.says big respect

Elwood
Starter

Postby Elwood » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:13 pm

The Astros' draft room looks like a community college classroom. The Cubs' joint looks a bit more office-like.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Less than an hour to go...

Let's switch to a new thread for the draft, as we have done the past few years.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”