2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby davell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Rolls over once more. Unsure if it would drop another spot. I guess it would?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby The Logan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:32 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
The Logan wrote:The sweetest irony would probably be if Appel's high contract demands again have him fall to the 9th pick and the Pirates select him again and can't meet his demands and he doesn't sign.

He'd have to approve the Pirates re-drafting him.


Ahhhhhhh did not know that. Said it as a joke, but that's actually really important information I didn't know, lol.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
A New Era
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6012
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:47 pm

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby A New Era » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 pm

It drops one pick and 2nd year is your last chance. So 9th pick this year. Let's say they get the 18th pick next year. It would be 10th and 18th next year. I'm guessing lets' say they sign their carry over 10th pick, but fail to sign the 18th. That one might carry over but I'm just guessing here. If they fail to sign 10th it completely goes away for them. So wise choice would be to pick an easy sign.
Image

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:36 pm

A New Era wrote:It drops one pick and 2nd year is your last chance. So 9th pick this year. Let's say they get the 18th pick next year. It would be 10th and 18th next year. I'm guessing lets' say they sign their carry over 10th pick, but fail to sign the 18th. That one might carry over but I'm just guessing here. If they fail to sign 10th it completely goes away for them. So wise choice would be to pick an easy sign.


No, davell is right. Under the new CBA, you get a second roll over year.

User avatar
soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 32939
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:50 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
soccer10k wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Jake wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:So what are Appel's options? Go back to Stanford, or indy league?

His tweets say he's going back to Stanford.

He's a son of a big time lawyer and Stanford isn't your usual school but let's see if Boras leads him to an independent league.


What would that mean in terms of his MLB future? Would he have to play a year there and then be able to become a free agent at some point?


Nah, he'd go back in the draft next year either way. His choices are go back for his senior year, like, say Matt LaPorta, or go independent leagues like Luke Hochevar.


Thanks. Wasn't sure on that.

One more thing, how does this change if the player drafted is a senior?
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:59 am

soccer10k wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
soccer10k wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Jake wrote:His tweets say he's going back to Stanford.

He's a son of a big time lawyer and Stanford isn't your usual school but let's see if Boras leads him to an independent league.


What would that mean in terms of his MLB future? Would he have to play a year there and then be able to become a free agent at some point?


Nah, he'd go back in the draft next year either way. His choices are go back for his senior year, like, say Matt LaPorta, or go independent leagues like Luke Hochevar.


Thanks. Wasn't sure on that.

One more thing, how does this change if the player drafted is a senior?


As a senior, the July signing deadline is irrelevant because the player won't be going back to school in the fall. Instead, a college senior's signing deadline is the week before the next draft (for example, while the signing deadline has passed, Astros 7th rounder Preston Tucker is still eligible to sign until the week before the 2013 draft since he's a senior). So if Appel doesn't sign by a week before the 2014 draft, he'd be eligible for the 2014 draft. Of course, at this point, he's entering Matt Harrington territory.

User avatar
Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist
Posts: 28070
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:57 am
Contact:

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:27 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Uhh, Jake...do you have Twitter?

"@serial66: @MAppel26 Follower of Christ?? Follower of Almighty Dollar. Boras screwed u out of $6 mil. You didn't impress me anyways. Happier w #9 pick"

"@CurtIDontPanick: @MAppel26 you're a [expletive] piece of [expletive]. Why didn't you sign with BucN. Worst mistake you could have made. Break your arm dick."


if he really has an arm dick, i feel like we should have drafted him
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 12817
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:33 am

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:59 pm

imb! wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Uhh, Jake...do you have Twitter?

"@serial66: @MAppel26 Follower of Christ?? Follower of Almighty Dollar. Boras screwed u out of $6 mil. You didn't impress me anyways. Happier w #9 pick"

"@CurtIDontPanick: @MAppel26 you're a [expletive] piece of [expletive]. Why didn't you sign with BucN. Worst mistake you could have made. Break your arm dick."


if he really has an arm dick, i feel like we should have drafted him


Pat Venditte has nothing on this guy.

User avatar
Jake
All-Star
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Living and Breathing that Philadelphia Freedom!

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 am

imb! wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Uhh, Jake...do you have Twitter?

"@serial66: @MAppel26 Follower of Christ?? Follower of Almighty Dollar. Boras screwed u out of $6 mil. You didn't impress me anyways. Happier w #9 pick"

"@CurtIDontPanick: @MAppel26 you're a [expletive] piece of [expletive]. Why didn't you sign with BucN. Worst mistake you could have made. Break your arm dick."


if he really has an arm dick, i feel like we should have drafted him


Heh. Just seeing this now. A few people taking this a bit too personally. I looked up

Personally, I haven't see Appel's Arm. Or his dick. His dick wasn't in the scouting reports, but many liked his arm.

Would have been nice having him third behind Cole & Taillon. What a rotation. With JMac at 4. Still, JMac third behind those two guys doesn't suck either.
Resident Pirate fan of nsbb.com

Image

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby davell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 am

Obviously Cole and Taillon are excellent prospects. I wish like hell we had an arm like either of them in our system. But the odds that BOTH of them bypass McDonald is supetslim.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49202
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Location: Puget Sound

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:50 am

davell wrote:Obviously Cole and Taillon are excellent prospects. I wish like hell we had an arm like either of them in our system. But the odds that BOTH of them bypass McDonald is superslim.


Yep, even with Appel, odds are that one of them pan out. Or just swap out Appel with Allie and see the principle already in action.

User avatar
Jake
All-Star
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Living and Breathing that Philadelphia Freedom!

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:...Or just swap out Appel with Allie and see the principle already in action.

Apples and oranges.

Appel is a much more mature pitcher.
Resident Pirate fan of nsbb.com

Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49202
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:23 am
Location: Puget Sound

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Jake wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:...Or just swap out Appel with Allie and see the principle already in action.

Apples and oranges.

Appel is a much more mature pitcher.


The point is the same, as neither has done anything in the professional ranks. Prospects fail, and pitching prospects fail so often that TINSTAAPP is a thing. Plugging 3 guys into the top a future rotation when none of them have pitched above AA is asking to be disappointed. Getting 1 guy to pan out and another to be a back of the rotation type would be beating the odds.

User avatar
Jake
All-Star
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Living and Breathing that Philadelphia Freedom!

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Jake wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:...Or just swap out Appel with Allie and see the principle already in action.

Apples and oranges.

Appel is a much more mature pitcher.


The point is the same, as neither has done anything in the professional ranks. Prospects fail, and pitching prospects fail so often that TINSTAAPP is a thing. Plugging 3 guys into the top a future rotation when none of them have pitched above AA is asking to be disappointed. Getting 1 guy to pan out and another to be a back of the rotation type would be beating the odds.

I see where you're coming from.

A better analogy would have been Zach Von Rosenberg, vs. Allie, as Allie was not your usual crap shoot.
ZVR was a prep star with a strong commitment we took in the 6th round and gave a $1m bonus. (We did this with a handful of pitchers that year. Most are fizzling out.)
Resident Pirate fan of nsbb.com

Image

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 am

Perusing the BA draft database, the following post top-10 round guys signed for $100,000 bonuses (some of these we already knew):

11th rounder Rashard Crawford
12th rounder Justin Amlung
13th rounder Bijan Rademacher
14th rounder Corbin Hoffner
16th rounder Michael Hamann
18th rounder David Bote

User avatar
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 84788
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:23 pm

About a week or two ago, the Diamondbacks swooped in and signed undrafted UCLA commit Felipe Perez (a BA top 200 prospect in the '12 draft), giving him a $400,000 bonus. UCLA's coach, along with a few other NCAA coaches, are now pushing that undrafted players sign at the same deadline as all draft picks.

CUBZ99
All-Star
Posts: 4326
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby CUBZ99 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Probably a good thing the Cubs didn't take Giolito.
Right-hander Lucas Giolito, the Washington Nationals' first pick in the first-year player draft, has reinjured his elbow and will be evaluated this week to determine the extent of the injury, a team spokesperson said.

The pitcher will be examined by orthopedic specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum.


http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/82854 ... ures-elbow

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:15 pm

CUBZ99 wrote:Probably a good thing the Cubs didn't take Giolito.
Right-hander Lucas Giolito, the Washington Nationals' first pick in the first-year player draft, has reinjured his elbow and will be evaluated this week to determine the extent of the injury, a team spokesperson said.

The pitcher will be examined by orthopedic specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum.


http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/82854 ... ures-elbow

I'm happy with Almora over him, but I still think he's worth the pick to the Nats in the mid rounds if it's only TJS with the recovery success rate from that being so high and him being so young still.
Screw Pitchers

soonercub
Role Player
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:57 am

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby soonercub » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:52 am

I saw that Baseball America has a section where they graded each teams 2012 Draft class. Can anyone that has BA please paraphrase the info about the Cubs? Thanks

User avatar
El Duderino
All-Star
Posts: 3246
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 pm
Location: nor cal

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby El Duderino » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 am

I'll do you one better:

Best Pure Hitter: OF Albert Almora (1) has a quick bat and repeatedly makes line-drive contact with ease. The Cubs had their eyes opened by the bats of three lower draft picks—INF Stephen Bruno (7), SS/3B Tim Saunders (32) and 3B Ben Carhart (35). Best Power Hitter: Power might be the least obvious of Almora's tools, but he has the hitting prowess to produce 20 homers annually once he gets stronger. 1B Jacob Rogers (40) has the most strength in this draft crop. Fastest Runner: OF Rashad Crawford (11) has plus-plus speed that also served him well on the basketball court. An above-average runner, Saunders stole 17 bases in 49 pro games. Best Defensive Player: Almora has impressive tools and even better instincts, and he has all the ingredients to be a Gold Glove center fielder. C Chadd Krist (9) is a solid defender.

PITCHERS

Best Fastball: RHP Duane Underwood's (2) velocity fluctuates, but at his best he can get to 98 mph. RHP Pierce Johnson (1s) has more consistent velocity, sitting at 92-94 mph and peaking at 96. RHP Josh Conway (4) maxed out at 96 mph before having Tommy John surgery during the spring while still at Coastal Carolina. Best Secondary Pitch: Johnson's hard curveball gives him a second strikeout pitch. RHP Paul Blackburn (1s), who has the best overall feel for pitching among Cubs draftees, has the makings of a plus curve as well.

ODDS AND ENDS

Best Pro Debut: Bruno led the short-season Northwest League in batting (.361), hits (91) and on-base percentage (.442). Saunders outhit him while reaching high Class A, batting a combined .381/.431/.536 between three stops. Best Athlete: Crawford is the most explosive athlete, as YouTube clips of him dunking from the foul line will attest. Almora is the best baseball athlete, with the chance to have solid or better tools across the board. Most Intriguing Background: 3B Rustin Sveum's (39) father Dale manages the Cubs and played in the big leagues for 12 seasons. Sveum didn't sign and may play both ways at Dixie State (Utah). Closest To The Majors: Johnson, who could start his first full pro season in high Class A. Almora's instincts make him a good bet to be the first prep position player from the entire draft class to get to the big leagues. Best Late-Round Pick: Saunders, the 2012 NCAA Division III College World Series MVP in June, has versatility to go with his plus bat and wheels. LHP Nathan Dorris (17) has the makings of a solid fastball and above-average curveball. The One Who Got Away: Chicago never got close to landing OF Rhett Wiseman (25), a quality athlete with a raw bat who could have gone in the top three rounds if he could have been signed away from Vanderbilt. The Cubs thought they had a deal with LHP Jake Drossner (23) but ultimately lost him to Maryland.
Mitch Williams wrote:Sacrifice bunts have started more big innings in the game of baseball than anything else.

soonercub
Role Player
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:57 am

Re: 2012 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby soonercub » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks! Good stuff.


Return to “Amateur Baseball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest