Who do you want the Cubs to select with the #2 pick?

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.

Poll ended at Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:02 am

Jonathan Gray
14%
Kris Bryant
23%
Mark Appel
62%
Other
1%

Total votes: 86

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 am

Figure we could get a feel for the forum here.

I guess I should edit this to say, "Assuming all 3 players are available at the #2 pick, who would you take?"
Last edited by pitchcs on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

David
Hall of Fame

Re: Who do you want the Cubs to select with the #2 pick?

Postby David » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:04 am

Honestly, I will be more than happy with any of the three. Hopefully the Astros take someone else due to signability and then we can be pretty sure we got the guy our FO thought was best.

That's a boring answer but I can't come up with a justifiable reason to pick any of the 3 over the other 2.

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 am

My vote is for Kris Bryant.

I totally agree that this is a draft where whoever the front office picks nobody should really be bent out of shape because they have much more intel on these guys and get paid a lot of money to make tough decisions like this.

That being said, I went with Bryant over Appel. Main reasons being that I'm very intrigued by the advanced power bat and feel the front office has done a fairly good job of finding pitchers elsewhere so far. The offense is already decent and adding a guy like this in 2014/15 would be great. We can always load up on pitching in following rounds.

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am

pitchcs wrote:My vote is for Kris Bryant.

I totally agree that this is a draft where whoever the front office picks nobody should really be bent out of shape because they have much more intel on these guys and get paid a lot of money to make tough decisions like this.

That being said, I went with Bryant over Appel. Main reasons being that I'm very intrigued by the advanced power bat and feel the front office has done a fairly good job of finding pitchers elsewhere so far. The offense is already decent and adding a guy like this in 2014/15 would be great. We can always load up on pitching in following rounds.

If you told me there was a 50% or better chance of Bryant being an average fielder at 3B, I'd go with him.

I definitely agree that the FO has shown they can find pitching elsewhere and wouldn't mind going with the elite bat early and then just loading up on power arms and letting the chips fall. Bats are safer anyway.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 am

*coughs*

*looks to polls forum*

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 am

I too, however, am in the Kris Bryant camp.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:53 am

Appel, Gray, Bryant. In that order.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 am

Question - What would the ETAs be on each guy?

Is it safe to say the below is accurate?

Appel - 2014 - maybe a cup of coffee in 2013

Gray - 2015-16

Bryant - 2015-16

I have no idea where to put Bryant.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:06 am

David wrote:Question - What would the ETAs be on each guy?

Gray - 2015-16

Bryant - 2015-16

I'd say all are fair. Gray and Bryant should start next year in high-A, Appel at either high-A or AA.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Gray - 2015-16

Bryant - 2015-16

I'd say all are fair. Gray and Bryant should start next year in high-A, Appel at either high-A or AA.

Well that would change the 2014, or maybe cup of coffee in 2013 ETA.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 am

I voted Gray, because he seems the one capable of being a superstar/extraordinary.

But I have no idea, and I'm very comfortable trusting whatever management decides. If they go Frazier, I'm good with that. If they choose Bryant, I'll totally trust that a lot of guys way smarter than me who spent zillions of hours studying it out will have made an intelligent decision.

But ignorantly and subjectively, I think Appel can be good, but I'm not presently optimistic about being great. I think Bryant is the safest and perhaps the best pick, but he's going to K too much to become amazing, I think.

On timeline, I really don't see Gray being much behind Appel. Because he's junior not senior, I suppose politically it's easier to start him lower. And maybe he's a little behind. But to me both seem to be pretty far along control-wise, and I don't see much reason why Gray couldn't start in AA next year and be up late next summer, if things go well. Particularly if he pitches a couple of good starts in A+ this summer (although I doubt either guy will pitch this summer if we draft one).

On Bryant, I'm not that concerned about the 3B/OF thing. If they think he can hit, take him; if not, don't. If you believe he's going to be hitting 30+ HR's and taking 80 walks a year, I'll take him. (I see him as maybe a Derrek Lee type guy). I have no concerns about his potential to play corner outfield, including RF given his strong arm. I'd almost rather take him for OF and don't look back, rather than constantly wondering/worrying about whether he can play decent 3B, how long will he be able to stay, is his bat good enough to justify his defense, etc.. I'm not sure I want an Aram-type 3B, where we're always wondering about how much value he costs us. Or Vitters coming through, is he good enough or not? I'd like to assemble an infield where 1B/2B/3B are all solid defensively, and where the question of "how far below-average is too far to tolerate?" is not a question we need to think about all the time.

Heh, plus Baez is going to improve his hitting a bunch and become a major leaguer, and play a good 3b for us eventually. While Alcantara is OPS'ing at .800+ at 2b. Is there any doubt? :)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Gray - 2015-16

Bryant - 2015-16

Well that would change the 2014, or maybe cup of coffee in 2013 ETA.

Sorry, I was referring to sticking in the big leagues rather than first making it. Whether or not Appel gets a cup of coffee this September, I think he'll start next year in the minors but make it to the bigs for good before rosters expand.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 am

I can't answer the poll yet, funny considering how close the draft is. But I think Appel just slightly edges Bryant here. But I really do like Bryant.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 am

Kinda interesting how this one compares to the one I made in the poll section a few days back. A lot more love for Bryant here. I'm diggin it.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:32 am

ctcf wrote:Kinda interesting how this one compares to the one I made in the poll section a few days back. A lot more love for Bryant here. I'm diggin it.

and it's not even that he's getting votes that were lost by Gray's drug test, because Appel destroyed Gray and Bryant in that previous poll.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:30 am

I'm happy with any of the three and am comfortable with the front office's judgment. I would be disappointed if the one we get comes significantly more expensive than the other two, though.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am

I've thought about this for far too long and can't make a decision. Like someone else said, if Bryant could be a legit 3B I'd probably go with him.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am

Craig,

Why wouldn't Gray pitch this summer when the signing date has been moved up so far? Appel would have all winter to sign, so I can see the argument that he wouldn't see the mound. Gray doesn't have that luxury. Are you saying the Cubs would hold him back since he's pitched enough this year already?
Spoiler: show

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am

I went with Bryant because I think he's the safest bet to be an impact talent. Also he's the prototypical hitter I'd love to see, not so much for his power, but his patience. I'm happy with any of the three. If they go way off the reservation I'll be upset.

Elwood
Starter

Postby Elwood » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Count me firmly in the Bryant camp. I can't help but be more excited for big bats than big arms.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 pm

I think the closest I'd be to let down is Gray

CUBZ99
All-Star

Postby CUBZ99 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm

I was irrationally mad when the Cubs didn't take Appel with the 5th pick last year. I thought he was the best player last year and still think he is the best option last year. He has a better track record than Gray and I'm not really sold on Bryant. That said, I'm glad they are picking 2nd with at least three good options. As long as they don't try to outsmart everyone and pick someone out of the top three I will be happy.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Can we re-draft Hayden Simpson?

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Rob wrote:Can we re-draft Hayden Simpson?

That just made me google him. Poor bastard is getting destroyed in the independent Frontier League

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:36 pm

ctcf wrote:
Rob wrote:Can we re-draft Hayden Simpson?

That just made me google him. Poor bastard is getting destroyed in the independent Frontier League

Holy balls, at this point I feel like I could get back out there, beer in hand, and do that well.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”