2013 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
ctcf
Hall of Fame

Re: 2013 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Well for all the premature hand-wringing that went on after the Bryant signing, this draft turned out about as well as could be asked.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm

If the Cubs are trying something more, they still have $15,925 (plus the $100,000 every pick after round 10 can get without touching the pool).

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2013/07/game-notes-video-from-the-future-kris-bryant-takes-bp-at-wrigley-field/

I know it's bp, but he gets great extension.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 pm

btw - both Clifton and Remillard showed as officially signed on the email I received from the Cubs. The picks that aren't signed are:

14: Poncedeleon
21: McCauley
25: Doi
26: Carlos Pena (not sure how I failed to notice we drafted Carlos Pena!)
27: Sciacca
29: Garcia
31-40: et al
Spoiler: show

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:33 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:If the Cubs are trying something more, they still have $15,925 (plus the $100,000 every pick after round 10 can get without touching the pool).

I'd like John Garcia.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Bickford did not sign with the Blue Jays and, as previously reported, Krook didn't sign with the Marlins.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Bickford did not sign with the Blue Jays and, as previously reported, Krook didn't sign with the Marlins.

I'm sure this has been pointed out, but the Marlins drafting someone named Krook is hilarious.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

CubsInNC
All-Star

Postby CubsInNC » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Tim wrote:btw - both Clifton and Remillard showed as officially signed on the email I received from the Cubs. The picks that aren't signed are:

14: Poncedeleon
21: McCauley
25: Doi
26: Carlos Pena (not sure how I failed to notice we drafted Carlos Pena!)
27: Sciacca
29: Garcia
31-40: et al

Poncedeleon and McCauley had agreed to terms, and both were sent home after getting to AZ for physicals.McCauley is having surgery in a month- guessing there's something arm/shoulder related that kept the Cubs from pulling that string. And it looked like today, Sean Johnson (31st) was still willing to sign, if the Cubs had enough to offer him.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Pics are fun
Spoiler: show

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:54 pm

that is a handsome gentleman.

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:that is a handsome gentleman.

the lady is a fan
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 pm

those hats are the worst.

also he looks like tyler colvin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Looks like Mauer's slightly less attractive brother.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 pm

i would take "slightly less attractive than joe mauer" any day of the week.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:i would take "slightly less attractive than joe mauer" any day of the week.

Agreed, was meant as a compliment.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:34 pm

every time we have a new white prospect i am always on edge waiting to see whether he wears his hat with a flat bill. wtg bryant!

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 am

David wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
David wrote:Apparently Poncedeleon is no longer signing despite having tweeted this at one point

I know he had tweeted about being on a plane (possibly to AZ, don't recall off top). Failed physical maybe?

Not that I doubt you at all, David, but where did you hear this?

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 11h
Here's an interesting development. After announcing he was signing with the @Cubs, @UHCougarBB RHP Daniel Poncedeleon now headed back to #UH

The NCAA has ruled Cubs 14th rounder Daniel Poncedeleon ineligible: http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vie ... ticle=9054

Poncedeleon, after agreeing to terms, flew to Arizona for his physical exam. The 6-foot-4, 195-pounder, failed his physical, thus nullifying that agreement of terms. More importantly in this situation, Poncedeleon never signed his Uniform Player Contract (UPC), thus there was not a financial transaction.

The University of Houston self-reported Poncedeleon's signing of the agreement to terms, but hasn't received a positive result. The NCAA declared Poncedeleon ineligible to compete in the spring after receiving that information, and a first appeal by UH was denied by the NCAA. Houston is in the process of filing a second and final appeal to the organization.

"In Daniel's situation, I'm confident the NCAA will be fair and just in this unique of situations," Whitting said. "Daniel didn't feel like he was jeopardizing his amateur status by simply signing an agreement to terms. I just want them [NCAA] to be fair in this situation."

Both the Chicago Cubs and Major League Baseball have sent Houston documentation clearly stating the agreement to terms was not a binding financial document.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:54 am

Chalk another one up for the stupidity of the NCAA. They seriously just need to be shut down.
I like beer.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm

too bad he doesn't play football so that he could sign a few hundred autographs for $$$, drive an escalade from the local dealer/booster and then go take a course where he doesn't have to turn up and can answer final exam questions about how many points a field goal is worth.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:55 pm

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/20 ... cago-cubs/

2013 Draft Report Card: Chicago Cubs

Position players

• Best Pure Hitter: 3B Kris Bryant (1) spread out at the plate this spring, keeping his head still and lower while reducing his overall pre-swing movement. That cut down on his swing-and-miss tendencies, and he hit .336 in 128 at-bats in his pro debut.
  • Best power hitter: Bryant’s showed his top-of-the-scale raw power all spring, hitting 31 homers to earn BA’s College Player of the Year award, and as a pro, as he hit nine homers and slugged .688.
  • Fastest runner: OF Carcer Burks (9) turned in 6.5-second 60-yard times in a predraft workout. OF Jacob Hannemann (3) isn’t as fast out of the batter’s box but flies once under way.
  • Best defensive player: Hannemann could stand to add polish, but he outruns his mistakes in center field. C Will Remillard (19) got a $150,000 bonus mostly for his catch-and-throw skills, with his arm being his best tool.

Pitchers

• Best Fastball: Six-foot-7 RHP Scott Frazier (6) tops out at 97 mph and sits in the 94-96 range, but right now he doesn’t generate many swings and misses. LHP Rob Zastryzny (2) sits at 90-91 but adds and subtracts, throws strikes and gets many more swings and misses in the strike zone with his heater. RHP Trey Masek (5) has touched 95 with life.
  • Best secondary pitch: RHP Tyler Skulina (4) stands out for his hard, late power slider in the low 80s.

Odds and Ends

• Best Pro Debut: Bryant helped Daytona win the high Class A Florida State League title, hitting .350 in the playoffs. RHP Zack Godley (10) helped Boise reach the short-season Northwest League finals, going 2-0, 2.03 overall with 28 strikeouts in 27 innings.
  • Best athlete: Hannemann redshirted for Brigham Young’s football team as a 6-foot-1, 195-pound defensive back, then raked in the spring for BYU’s baseball team after having missed two years while serving on his Mormon mission. He’s strong, fast and explosive
  • Most intriguing background: Hannemann, who also is distantly related to assistant general manager for scouting/player development Jason McLeod. RHP Daniel Poncedeleon (14) signed a term sheet but failed his physical, so the Cubs didn’t sign him. He has been ruled ineligible to return to his college team, though Houston is appealing the NCAA’s decision.
  • Closest to the majors: Bryant won’t need long at all with the bat; the only question is if he’ll play third base or move to an outfield corner.
  • Best late-round pick: RHP Trevor Clifton (12) signed for $375,000. He fell thanks to a raw delivery and his green makeup, but his arm strength produces 91-94 mph fastballs and he flashes plus secondary stuff. He needs a lot of polish.
  • The one who got away: Poncedeleon, as well as C Jeremy Martinez (37), a physically mature, strong-bodied centerpiece of Southern California’s recruiting class.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”