2013 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Re: 2013 Draft Day Thread + Cubs Picks Discussion

Postby Infrequent Poster » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:55 pm

From the great mind of Trevor Clifton -

Clifton‏@trevorclifton15h
A black guy I once gave a ride, made me the man I am today.

A pedestrian

mookie
All-Star

Postby mookie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Probably needed to be experienced in real time.

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:17 am

Cubs and Bryant still far apart.

Link

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:29 am

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:Cubs and Bryant still far apart.

Link

Yawn. It'll be nice to have him in the system this time next week.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 am

I'm not worried about Bryant signing. Its just a dick move on his and Boras' parts if it costs us Clifton and Alamo in the process. That said, Alamo is heading somewhere, apparently for a long time, according to his Twitter. I'm still optimistic on getting all 3. Bryant around 6 mill, Clifton around 500k and Alamo around 300k.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:51 am

Didn't Bryant essentially come out of nowhere this season? There's a hell of a lot more risk than benefit to the off chance that he doesn't sign.

Best case scenario is that he holds out, has another monster year and maybe gets another .3-1 MM more than the 6MM were reportedly offering. Worst case scenario is that he completely falls off and someone maybe takes a chance in a later round. Then there's a ton of middle ground in which he costs himself somewhere between .5-5.5 MM.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:14 am

No, Bryant didn't come out of no where. He was offered 2 mill+ out of HS and went in to this year as a likely top 5 pick.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:17 am

But sterling analysis as usual, SCS

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:33 am

Slide Castro Slide wrote:Didn't Bryant essentially come out of nowhere this season? There's a hell of a lot more risk than benefit to the off chance that he doesn't sign.

Best case scenario is that he holds out, has another monster year and maybe gets another .3-1 MM more than the 6MM were reportedly offering. Worst case scenario is that he completely falls off and someone maybe takes a chance in a later round. Then there's a ton of middle ground in which he costs himself somewhere between .5-5.5 MM.

Christ, I don't even follow the minor leagues and I knew this was completely wrong.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:44 am

Slide Castro Slide wrote:Didn't Bryant essentially come out of nowhere this season? There's a hell of a lot more risk than benefit to the off chance that he doesn't sign.

He was BA's 53rd best prospect in the 2010 draft, the year he came out of high school. He was pegged as a probable top-5 pick before this season. He had a 1.081 OPS his freshman year with the new bats, playing in USD's pitcher's park. He was a first team All-American last year, a season in which he had an 1.154 OPS.

I said he was my favorite college prospect in the 2013 draft last May. I can see why you missed the Bryant discussion in that thread; you were busy posting about the wrong draft in that very same thread.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:48 am

Holy [expletive], that is hysterical.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 am

Has SCS been confirmed not be a joke account run by various members on this site?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 am

Raisin wins the thread
Dare to dream....

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am

It's pretty magical.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Tyler Alamo signed with the Cubs:

@TylerAlamo_: Officially part of the Chicago Cubs God is great http://twitter.com/TylerAlamo_/status/3 ... 19/photo/1

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Tyler Alamo signed with the Cubs:

@TylerAlamo_: Officially part of the Chicago Cubs God is great http://twitter.com/TylerAlamo_/status/3 ... 19/photo/1

That's the catcher right? He's one I'm going to remember. Very interesting kid.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:41 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

He was BA's 53rd best prospect in the 2010 draft, the year he came out of high school. He was pegged as a probable top-5 pick before this season. He had a 1.081 OPS his freshman year with the new bats, playing in USD's pitcher's park. He was a first team All-American last year, a season in which he had an 1.154 OPS.

I said he was my favorite college prospect in the 2013 draft last May. I can see why you missed the Bryant discussion in that thread; you were busy posting about the wrong draft in that very same thread.

yeah but to be fair, how would find out all of this information unless you were some sort of southern california super scout, or had access to the internet?

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Link

That story read like Jon Heyman was doing a favor for Boras in exchange for a tip or two at some point in the future.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:19 pm

CubinNY wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Tyler Alamo signed with the Cubs:

That's the catcher right? He's one I'm going to remember. Very interesting kid.

Yes, he's a prep catcher from Josh Vitters' old high school.

Illini Iceman
All-Star

Postby Illini Iceman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 pm

PleasewinCubs wrote:

Link

That story read like Jon Heyman was doing a favor for Boras in exchange for a tip or two at some point in the future.

It is also basically a word for word rehash of an article he did a couple weeks ago.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:03 pm

PleasewinCubs wrote:

Link

That's how all Heyman articles about Boras clients read.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Infrequent Poster
Role Player

Postby Infrequent Poster » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:33 pm

What time is the deadline on Friday? Midnight eastern time? Middle of the day like the trade dealine?

Thanks in advance.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Infrequent Poster wrote:What time is the deadline on Friday? Midnight eastern time? Middle of the day like the trade dealine?

Thanks in advance.

5 eastern.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 4m
#cubs close to record deal with No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant, 3B from U of San Diego. http://cbsprt.co/12iaN7v

The Cubs are very close to signing No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant, the big power hitter from the University of San Diego.

Though the deal isn't officially done, the sides are on the way to completing it with the slugging third baseman.

Bryant is expected to receive the biggest bonus under the new system that began last year, topping Mark Appel's $6.35 million deal with the Astros. Byron Buxton received the highest bonus last year, $6 million from the Twins, also as the No. 2 overall pick.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 pm

I don't know if this really qualifies as news, given the fact that we're so close to the deadline makes this true basically by itself, but

The Cubs are very close to signing No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant, the big power hitter from the University of San Diego.

Though the deal isn't officially done, the sides are on the way to completing it with the slugging third baseman.

Bryant is expected to receive the biggest bonus under the new system that began last year, topping Mark Appel's $6.35-million deal with the Astros. Byron Buxton received the highest bonus last year, $6 million from the Twins, also as the No. 2 overall pick.

Bryant had a monster junior season, hitting 31 homers at San Diego. the Cubs are trying to garner assets for teh future, and they have a superb stash of talented position players, including shortstop Javier Baez and outfielders Jorge Soler and Albert Almora as well as many others.

- Heyman

Return to “Amateur Baseball”