Fecal League Tracking 2013

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Re: Fecal League Tracking 2013

Postby CubsWin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:19 pm

At the unofficial start of the Fecal League (August 1st, right after the trade deadline), the Cubs were picking 6th. They leapfrogged the Brewers and the Twins to finish 4th. That about the worst possible finish and best possible draft pick Cubs fans could have hoped for. The Cubs flirted with performing so horribly that they could have caught the White Sox for the 3rd pick, but the Cubs couldn't suck enough to compete with a 9-game losing streak the Southsiders put together at the beginning of September.

So, the 4th pick it is. We've managed to ring out the last bit of drama out of a fairly dramaless season. Now comes all the draft prospects lists and speculation and the long wait for college and high school spring baseball to pick up again.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:21 pm

CubsWin wrote:At the unofficial start of the Fecal League (August 1st, right after the trade deadline), the Cubs were picking 6th. They leapfrogged the Brewers and the Twins to finish 4th. That about the worst possible finish and best possible draft pick Cubs fans could have hoped for. The Cubs flirted with performing so horribly that they could have caught the White Sox for the 3rd pick, but the Cubs couldn't suck enough to compete with a 9-game losing streak the Southsiders put together at the beginning of September.

So, the 4th pick it is. We've managed to ring out the last bit of drama out of a fairly dramaless season. Now comes all the draft prospects lists and speculation and the long wait for college and high school spring baseball to pick up again.

The good thing is the White Sox will probably pick some guy that should have gone in the second round so it's basically like having the 3rd pick.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Vinestal wrote:
CubsWin wrote:At the unofficial start of the Fecal League (August 1st, right after the trade deadline), the Cubs were picking 6th. They leapfrogged the Brewers and the Twins to finish 4th. That about the worst possible finish and best possible draft pick Cubs fans could have hoped for. The Cubs flirted with performing so horribly that they could have caught the White Sox for the 3rd pick, but the Cubs couldn't suck enough to compete with a 9-game losing streak the Southsiders put together at the beginning of September.

The good thing is the White Sox will probably pick some guy that should have gone in the second round so it's basically like having the 3rd pick.

???

They picked Courtney Hawkins and Tim Anderson the last two years plus Chris Sale in 2010. All solid picks given their draft position.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:35 pm

I expect Rodon to go 1st, Marlins to take best HS kid, White Sox to take Trea Turner and leave us with Hoffman, Beede, or whatever college pitcher takes a big step forward.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:53 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Vinestal wrote:

???

They picked Courtney Hawkins and Tim Anderson the last two years plus Chris Sale in 2010. All solid picks given their draft position.

I think he was implying the cheapness of Reinsdorf when it comes to the draft.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:39 am

Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Vinestal wrote:

???

Sadly that's no longer an issue since Reinsdorf got his new CBA.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 am

Also, there better not be a similar thread next year. I'm getting super jealous of my friends who are Dodger and Giant fans.

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:47 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Vinestal wrote:

???

Sadly that's no longer an issue since Reinsdorf got his new CBA.

Sorry didn't realize he had changed his tune.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 am

Either way, I believe I've heard this draft should be the deeper than last years and 4th certainly isn't bad.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 am

Vinestal wrote:Sorry didn't realize he had changed his tune.

It's not that he has changed his tune, it's that the new rules pretty much force everyone to be cheap in the draft. There's no going crazy anymore, be it the teams with their overslots or the players with their demands.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:30 am

Vinestal wrote:Well we win the 4th pick! hooray Id have rather picked first but I guess I'll settle for 4th its better than 5th. lol

I'd have rather picked last
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Vinestal wrote:Well we win the 4th pick! hooray Id have rather picked first but I guess I'll settle for 4th its better than 5th. lol

I'd have rather picked last

Don't be such a pessimist.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”