College Baseball 2014 Season

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

College Baseball 2014 Season

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:21 am

The college baseball season starts on Friday!

Perfect Game's preseason top 25:

1 Virginia
2 Cal State Fullerton
3 Oregon State
4 Florida State
5 Indiana
6 Mississippi State
7 South Carolina
8 UCLA
9 Oregon
10 North Carolina State
11 Vanderbilt
12 Louisiana State
13 North Carolina
14 Clemson
15 Florida
16 Louisville
17 Rice
18 Arizona State
19 Texas A&M
20 Miami (Fla.)
21 Alabama
22 Kansas State
23 Oklahoma State
24 Florida Atlantic
25 Texas

BA's:

1. Virginia
2. Oregon State
3. Indiana
4. Cal State Fullerton
5. North Carolina State
6. Florida State
7. South Carolina
8. Mississippi State
9. Louisiana State
10. Vanderbilt
11. Oregon
12. UCLA
13. Clemson
14. Louisiana-Lafayette
15. Rice
16. Miami
17. North Carolina
18. Texas
19. Texas Christian
20. Louisville
21. Alabama
22. Kansas State
23. Florida
24. Texas A&M
25. Arkansas

Here's ESPN's scheduled of televised games. Here's a great website that has the schedule for every college baseball team by day, with box scores posted during games. This forum has a nice list (with links) of teams that stream their home games. Good follows on Twitter for college baseball are BA's Aaron Fitt (@aaronfitt) and Perfect Game's Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogersPG).

We'll have to wait till next weekend to see Carlos Rodon and Trea Turner as North Carolina State couldn't fly out for their series against UC Santa Barbara because of the winter storm in the South. Many other games on Friday in the South and East have been postponed to Saturday.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: College Baseball 2014 Season

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 am

As a UVA fan, I am very excited about this upcoming season. The offensive talent and depth on this squad is just ridiculously good (good enough that a somewhat intriguing sophomore, George Ragsdale, transferred). It starts with a ridiculously loaded junior class. I really expect Derek Fisher to have a monster year. I think people forget he was banged up a bit last year. If Brandon Downes cuts down on his K's, while keeping his power, it wouldn't surprise me if he challenged Fisher to be the first Wahoo off the board in the MLB draft. Mike Papi has such a good approach, and has better pop than he's recognized for (although I still have a hard time figuring out what he might become as a professional). Branden Cogswell will probably play more 2nd this year, but he's capable enough at short, and he's a good top of the order bat. On another team, Kenny Towns would be an intriguing collegiate bat, as there's some pop to go with being a solid glove at the hot corner. It's just a loaded group, and as of now, I expect that everyone besides Towns should be a solid top 10 round guy (and I could see him be a top 10 round value/save money pick). One could make an argument, IMO, that the most complete hitter might be sophomore Joe McCarthy. John LaPrise had a good Northwoods run, but might be stuck as a backup MI, as Daniel Pinero has supposedly looked that good at short. This offensive group, IMO, is not only a better collegiate lineup than the UVA Jarrett Parker led groups that went to the CWS, but it's also a grouping that has more pro potential, IMO.

The big question concerning UVA is with their pitching, but ... the arm talent/upside/potential/ceiling might be superior to the positional grouping. The weekend rotation, as of now, will be three sophomores, Brandon Waddell, Nate Kirby, and Josh Sborz. Kirby and Sborz have arm strength and arsenal to really project as potentially intriguing starting arms for the pros. I had thought Sborz would be kept in the pen until his junior year, with the depth of arms that UVA has, but he must have been that impressive. The reports on Kirby all off-season have been stellar, and he might be living up to the hype. Waddell's the "savvy" arm of the group, with an average fastball, but he was a good Friday starter last year. Of course, that leaves aside Connor Jones, who might have the most arm talent of the group, along with senior Artie Lewicki, who looked like a fascinating pro prospect 2 summers ago before getting hurt (and a solid looking arm in Trey Oest transferred to Tampa). The depth of UVA arms has allowed them to move a solid Sunday starter (and a guy who could get drafted as a positional guy) in Nick Howard to closer, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was mid-90's with his fastball out of the pen.

There's no guarantees, but on paper, I think this UVA squad is better than last year's UNC squad, and if the pitching matches up to their potential, they could be really dominant. Fun times (particularly since the sophomore/freshmen classes look good, and by most accounts, they have an intriguing recruiting class coming in).

Barring any more winter storms, I think there should be a very good matchup next Friday, the 21st, with ECU and likely Hoffman, going up against this UVA lineup. Should be a good test for Hoffman.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:33 am

Raisin (and other college ball aficionados), who are some of the guys you think we should be keeping an eye on as a potential draft pick by the Cubs at #4?

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:40 am

ctcf wrote:Raisin (and other college ball aficionados), who are some of the guys you think we should be keeping an eye on as a potential draft pick by the Cubs at #4?

The most obvious college guys that might be available at #4 are Tyler Beede and Trea Turner. Raisan and toonster might know of some under the radar guys that could move up with great seasons.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 am

you'll want to track North Carolina State for Turner and Vanderbilt every fifth day for Beede. I'm interested to see if Beede can get his command together. If he can he could be a likely pick for the Cubs.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:05 am

A New Era wrote:you'll want to track North Carolina State for Turner and Vanderbilt [b]every fifth day[/b{ for Beede. I'm interested to see if Beede can get his command together. If he can he could be a likely pick for the Cubs.

Every 7th day.

toonsterwu wrote:There's no guarantees, but on paper, I think this UVA squad is better than last year's UNC squad, and if the pitching matches up to their potential, they could be really dominant. Fun times (particularly since the sophomore/freshmen classes look good, and by most accounts, they have an intriguing recruiting class coming in).

No doubt about it. I like their bats better and while their pitching might not be as established as UNC's, they're all incredibly talented with a lot of ceiling arms. I really felt UNC was overrated last year.

For my Bruins, they lost some key cogs from last year's championship team (Plutko and Vander Tuig from the rotation, Valaika at SS, Allen in LF) but now have been hit hard by the injury bug: RF Eric Filia is out for the season (labrum), new SS Kevin Kramer probably is too (shoulder), 2B Kevin Williams is out at least a month and LHP Hunter Virant will miss his second season with back injuries. They're more like a fringe top 25 team with those hits on offense and defense. The rotation will be loaded as always; Kaprielian is now the Friday starter and I think he and Cody Poteet could both be first rounders in 2016.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:08 am

Is he the Friday starter?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 am

A New Era wrote:Is he the Friday starter?

Yeah.

ctcf wrote:Raisin (and other college ball aficionados), who are some of the guys you think we should be keeping an eye on as a potential draft pick by the Cubs at #4?

BA's top 50 juniors: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... s-juniors/

Guys who can really fly up if they make improvements - RHP Michael Cederoth (San Diego St), LHP Sean Newcomb (Hartford), C Max Pentecost (Kennesaw St), RHP Jordan Brink (Fresno St) and LHP Andrew Suarez (Miami). RHP Erick Feede (UNLV) and C Grayson Greiner (South Carolina) are personal favorites of mine too but I don't think they can go higher than late first round picks.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:54 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yeah.

Guys who can really fly up if they make improvements - RHP Michael Cederoth (San Diego St), LHP Sean Newcomb (Hartford), C Max Pentecost (Kennesaw St), RHP Jordan Brink (Fresno St) and LHP Andrew Suarez (Miami). RHP Erick Feede (UNLV) and C Grayson Greiner (South Carolina) are personal favorites of mine too but I don't think they can go higher than late first round picks.

I should get a BA subscription.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:35 am

ctcf wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yeah.

Sorry, is that behind the pay wall? If so, I'll copy and paste the top 10.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:38 am

I read a Mizzou baseball preview that showed they return one hitter with an OPS over .701. Maybe the Cubs will draft another one of their interesting arms again to at least make me 1% proud of where the program is now.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:08 pm

I wish BP did something like that. An indepth look at the 2014 draftees. Cause that's the only one I have a subscription to. :)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:43 am

Perfect Game's weekend preview (featuring the defending champs :)): http://www.perfectgame.org/%28S%28jpfb1 ... ticle=9423

Baseball America's weekend preview: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... g-faceoff/

BA's projected Field of 64, along with Aaron Fitt and John Manuel's national champion picks, player of the year, etc: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... 64-awards/

No ACC team has won the College World Series. Ever. (Sorry, toonster.)

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
ctcf wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yeah.

Sorry, is that behind the pay wall? If so, I'll copy and paste the top 10.

Fraid it is.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Luke Weaver's first start of the season for Florida State is on ESPN3

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:15 pm

ctcf wrote:Fraid it is.

1 Carlos Rodon lhp North Carolina State
2 Jeff Hoffman rhp East Carolina
3 Trea Turner ss North Carolina State
4 Tyler Beede rhp Vanderbilt
5 Aaron Nola rhp Louisiana State
6 Luke Weaver rhp Florida State
7 Michael Conforto of Oregon State
8 Bradley Zimmer of San Francisco
9 Kyle Freeland lhp Evansville
10 Derek Fisher of Virginia

Seniors:

1 A.J. Vanegas rhp Stanford
2 Ross Kivett 2b Kansas State
3 Ben Wetzler lhp Oregon State
4 Dustin DeMuth 3b Indiana
5 Jason Monda 1b/of/lhp Washington State
6 Mark Payton of Texas
7 Jason Jester rhp Texas A&M
8 Dale Carey of Miami
9 Clinton Freeman of/lhp East Tennessee State
10 Tyler Moore rhp North Florida

Sophomores:

1 Alex Bregman ss Louisiana State
2 Ian Happ 2b Cincinnati
3 James Kaprielian rhp UCLA
4 Ryan Burr rhp Arizona State
5 Skye Bolt of North Carolina
6 Kyle Funkhouser rhp Louisville
7 Kyle Cody rhp Kentucky
8 Riley Ferrell rhp Texas Christian
9 Joshua Staumont rhp Azusa Pacific
10 Jake Cosart rhp Seminole State (Fla.) JC

Freshmen:

1 Phil Bickford rhp Cal State Fullerton
2 Ryan Boldt of Nebraska
3 Chris Okey c Clemson
4 Connor Jones rhp Virginia
5 Chandler Eden rhp Oregon State
6 Garrett Williams lhp Oklahoma State
7 Matt Krook lhp Oregon
8 Cavan Biggio 2b Notre Dame
9 Kyle Serrano rhp Tennessee
10 Jordan Sheffield rhp Vanderbilt

CarolinaCubFan
Starter

Postby CarolinaCubFan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:07 am

Does anyone have opinions on A.J. Vanegas? Not as the Cubs pick, but overall. Does this guy have any chance as a starter? Last season was rough, but he was recovering from back surgery, then came down with mono.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:15 am

Thanks, Raisin!

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Looks like first time to see Tyler Beede is

Sat, March 22 8:30 p.m. No. 8 Vanderbilt at No. 4 Mississippi State ESPNU

Plenty of chances to see Trea Turner though, NC State is on a lot. First time is next Friday.

Fri, Feb 21 3 p.m. Appalachian State at No. 9 NC State ESPN3

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Rodon with kinda a meh day:

Aaron Fitt @aaronfitt
Rodon done after 6 IP, trailing 3-0. Ended on a good note with a 1-2-3 frame. 6 IP, 4H, 3 R, 2ER, 1BB, 6K, and 3 HBP. #mlbdraft

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:38 pm

This isn't meant as an over-reaction to one game, but I do wonder if Brandon Waddell will hold on as UVA's Friday starter all year. Talent-wise, Kirby and Sborz are clearly better in terms of "stuff". Looks like Connor Jones will be in Branden Kline's freshman year role as a fireman of sorts. My guess is that, with three sophomores in the rotation, that Connor will follow Branden's path and be the closer next year, with a shot at anchoring the rotation as a junior.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:44 pm

@Clint_BA: NC State speedster Trea Turner ran a 3.42 on a bunt single from the right side

lol wut

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:44 pm

ctcf wrote:
@Clint_BA: NC State speedster Trea Turner ran a 3.42 on a bunt single from the right side

lol wut

lol want

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:27 pm

I have nothing to compare that to. What does Mike Trout run?

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:I have nothing to compare that to. What does Mike Trout run?

If he can do that time consistently, that's as fast as any player in professional baseball.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”