College Baseball 2014 Season

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: College Baseball 2014 Season

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 pm

It was a push bunt. Turner isn't actually faster than Billy Hamilton.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:33 pm

A New Era wrote:Looks like first time to see Tyler Beede is

Sat, March 22 8:30 p.m. No. 8 Vanderbilt at No. 4 Mississippi State ESPNU

Plenty of chances to see Trea Turner though, NC State is on a lot. First time is next Friday.

Fri, Feb 21 3 p.m. Appalachian State at No. 9 NC State ESPN3

Beede won't start on Saturday unless Friday's game is rained out.

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
A New Era wrote:Looks like first time to see Tyler Beede is

Sat, March 22 8:30 p.m. No. 8 Vanderbilt at No. 4 Mississippi State ESPNU

Plenty of chances to see Trea Turner though, NC State is on a lot. First time is next Friday.

Fri, Feb 21 3 p.m. Appalachian State at No. 9 NC State ESPN3

Beede won't start on Saturday unless Friday's game is rained out.

Haven't slept in 24+ hours. Thought it said Friday.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 pm

If you have to make a choice right now with gun to your head who would you draft, Beede or Turner?

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Beede
Screw Pitchers

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Turner

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Is Turner a legit SS? If so I'd pick him.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:Is Turner a legit SS? If so I'd pick him.

Depends on who you ask. I've seen everything from "future 3b or CF" to "future GG SS"

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm

[expletive] scouts.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:Is Turner a legit SS? If so I'd pick him.

Depends on who you ask. I've seen everything from "future 3b or CF" to "future GG SS"

He's not going back to 3B.

I'd say a larger majority of what I've read thinks he'll stick at SS. He looked fine in the half dozen or so games I've seen of him on TV and that was last year, his first year at SS in college.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 pm

I really want Turner unless Beede fixes his command issues.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:52 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:I have nothing to compare that to. What does Mike Trout run?

If he can do that time consistently, that's as fast as any player in professional baseball.

That run is Billy Hamilton-esque

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 am

A New Era wrote:I wish BP did something like that. An indepth look at the 2014 draftees. Cause that's the only one I have a subscription to. :)

Here you go: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=22837

pitchcs
All-Star

Postby pitchcs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 am

Holy hell, Trea Turner is white.
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 am

pitchcs wrote:Holy hell, Trea Turner is white.

hahahaha

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

College Baseball 2014 Season

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Hes the next Khalil Greene
ImageImage

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
A New Era wrote:I wish BP did something like that. An indepth look at the 2014 draftees. Cause that's the only one I have a subscription to. :)

glad I asked. :)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 pm

A New Era wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

glad I asked. :)

Care to give a summary of the players mentioned after Rodon, Beede and Finnegan?

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Erick Fedde, RHP, UNLV
Fedde improved his draft stock dramatically during last summer’s Team USA and Cape showings and an impressive run through fall workouts. This year’s season opener saw the projectable righty shut down Central Michigan over 7 1/3 innings, allowing just one hit and no walks while striking out 11. Fedde was able to carry over his upticked velocity from the fall, regularly touching the mid-90s on Friday, while mixing in a low-80s slider and off-speed pitch. He was at his best working down and fastball-heavy, with the breaker working both in and out of the zone. If the Rebs ace can show consistency in execution while maintaining his elevated stuff, he’s a first round pick come June. UNLV will head to Knoxville next weekend to take on the Vols. –Nick J. Faleris

Luke Weaver, RHP, Florida State

Weaver walked Niagra leadoff man Anthony Firenzi on four pitches to start the season, then proceeded to retire 16 straight batters en route to a six-inning, no-hit performance backed by a handful of terrific defensive plays. The only other batter to reach base was freshman Geoff Seto, on an E5 in the sixth inning. He was subsequently picked off. Weaver’s best offering is a heavy low-90s fastball that can climb to 96/97 mph with arm-side action out of a low three-quarters slot. On Friday he showed a high level of comfort with his changeup, particularly inside to same-side bats, while flashing a merely average breaker. Scouts aren’t yet sold on Weaver as an impact starter given the lack of a swing-and-miss breaking ball, leading to widely varying opinions on his spot in a class deep with college arms. The two certainties we have right now are 1) the fastball/changeup combo is legit, and 2) the seats behind home will be filled with evaluators each Friday night, as teams continue to sit on the promising righty while trying to nail down his June placement. –Nick J. Faleris

Cobi Johnson, RHP, Mitchell (Holiday, FL)

Johnson features a fastball that gets up to 92 mph with very good life, and an excellent hard curveball. The FSU commit has a very flexible frame, with a linear delivery that creates deception by staying closed with a noticeable head jerk after a high release point. Johnson’s body tends to get out of sync, with his top and bottom halves not always working together. The curveball is what stands out. He can overthrow it at times but it has a hard, late, sharp break, with excellent vertical depth and a tick of horizontal movement. He has a good idea of pitching and is an excellent athlete. Johnson is the most complete pitcher I have seen this season. He has a big durable frame that he uses to deliver with angle, the potential for two plus pitches, and great flexibility and athleticism. –Steffan Segui

Sean Reid-Foley, RHP, Sandalwood (Jacksonville, FL)

There are a number of high school arms jockeying for supremacy on draft lists, but Reid-Foley is entrenched as a potential early-first round arm. His stable of pitches is one of the deepest and most impressive. The FSU commit was one of the more impressive arms throughout the summer/fall scouting circuit, showcasing four distinct offerings, each of which could be above average or better when all is said and done. The arsenal starts with a low-to-mid-90s fastball that can flash multiple looks and late life, with solid precision to the quadrants. He will fold in a quality low-80s changeup with deception and drop, as well as a swing-and-miss slider in the low-to-mid-80s, and an upper-70s curve. The start to the 2014 season has been smooth for the Sandalwood standout, as he has carved through his first two outings of the spring, totaling 13 strikeouts to just three walks over eight innings. He has yet to allow a hit. –Nick J. Faleris

Keith Weisenberg, RHP, Osceola (Largo, FL)

Weisenberg is one the most projectable arms in this year’s draft class, standing 6-foot-4 with a good frame to build onto. In his most recent start, Weisenberg’s velocity was up to 93 mph with good angle out of an easy delivery. In the second inning he was able to show a better feel for his short sharp slider and his changeup. The Stanford commit showed a poor mound demeanor after giving up a few hits, showing some frustration. His delivery looked somewhat mechanical and he is very much an arm thrower but he repeats it well. Weisenberg has a high finish that could cause problems going forward, his fastball routinely was up in the zone and flattened out. The mechanical issues are definitely fixable and he should be a high round pick in June if he is signable. –Steffan Segui

Andrew Karp, RHP, West Orange (Winter Garden, FL)

Karp is a more advanced pitcher with good command of his fastball, which got up to 92. The FSU commit has a quick arm but there are concerns about his short arm stroke. That, along with an inconsistent off-speed, may make a bullpen role the best long-term fit. Karp’s overall delivery is sound but with some effort. He keeps his front half closed and rides down the mound, showing the ball late before delivering from a high ¾ arm slot. He has a battler’s mentality and works quickly. Karp is 6-foot-2 and is thicker than most high school pitchers, with a strong-looking frame that looks to be mostly filled out. He doesn’t have the higher ceiling of some other top high school pitchers but possesses a lot of great qualities you want in a pro pitcher. –Steffan Segui

Weston Davis, RHP, Manatee (Bradenton, FL)
Davis throws from a very low, almost sidearm slot out of a 6-foot-4 frame. It is a forced delivery, more arm than lower half, with similarities to Walter Johnson. He runs his fastball up to 94 mph with wicked sidearm sink and tail, but his off-speed offerings lag developmentally. Davis’ curve lacks definition and true shape due to the low arm slot, while his turnover change is a bit soft but not without projection. An area of concern is a Strasburg-like inverted-W at power position, and deceleration after release where his arm finishes across and is forced to stop by his body. The rail-thin Florida commit should add bulk once introduced to pro/college strength training. It’s hard to deny the pure ability that Davis possesses; higher-level coaching will do him well and could turn him into a guy with potentially elite stuff. –Steffan Segui

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks!

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

nice "summary" there. :-)

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Heh, in a preview of the 2016 draft, USC C Jeremy Martinez just missed hitting a HR off Fullerton's Phil Bickford.

Bickford really scuffling tonight. He's coming out of the pen for CSUF and only topping out at 92.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 pm

In what may be one of the [expletive] things I've ever seen a major league team do, the Phillies ran to the NCAA to turn in their 5th and 6th rounds picks ( Oregon State's Wetzler and Washington's Jason Monda) whom they are presumably pissed off at for not signing. Way to do irreparable damage to your credibility with any agents and young players.

https://twitter.com/aaronfitt

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm

I hope the Phillies are [expletive] over by this. Piece of [expletive] organization. Piece of [expletive] NCAA seeing as every player has an "adviser."

Apologies for the like 3 of you who follow me on Twitter since I bombarded your feed with retweets and rants about this.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:22 pm

There’s a few ways to look at this, and none of them make Philadelphia look good. Lets look at the obvious one, that this is a borderline childish act by an organization that likely offered Wetzler well-below the slot value of the 157th pick. I’m sure you’ve all heard the phrase “I’m taking my ball and I’m going home!” before. This is what this screams of.

Wetzler wasn’t a kid who was coming back to become a first-round pick; in fact he probably wouldn’t have improved his draft stock at all this year. We see so many people say that the education doesn’t matter, and then look at what happens when someone does chose to go back and finish his senior year with the club. Oregon State is a national championship contender. You don’t think that came into play with why Wetzler chose to come back to college? Now he has to sit because the Phillies didn’t like the rules they help set.

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/02/sham ... -phillies/

Return to “Amateur Baseball”