2015 Draft Discussion

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: 2015 Draft Discussion

Postby toonsterwu » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 pm

davell wrote:I think I'd be most excited if we go with an under slot bat again and load up on high upside arms in 2-5 or so, like last year.

Personally, Benintendi scares me a bit, since this is his first big success and there's evidently at least questions out there as to whether his power holds up once he's using a wood bat.

This is definitely the year to do that. There's a decent chance a former top talent is going to be there in the 2nd round for us. Someone like Nate Kirby perhaps (it's also quite possible we just miss out as I can see a run on some of the former big names going in that late first-early 2nd range). Even if that happens, there should be a fair quantity of somewhat intriguing arms in that mid-round range this year.

I'm clearly not against going an arm in the first, but this year is somewhat tailor-made to play it safe early and try and load up on some arm gambles mid-rounds.

Klaw's comments on Benintendi makes me think of Cory Spangenberg for some reason, a guy I thought was ridiculously over-hyped for a year or two.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 22, 2015 11:16 am

New BA mock draft. Tyler Jay goes 1.1, Cubs pick Jon Harris:

9. Cubs

The most volatile player in the draft remains Andrew Benintendi, the Arkansas outfielder who was SEC player of the year in a year of high-end talent in the conference. Benintendi pressed in Hoover, though he homered in his second game, sandwiched around two 0-fer performances. He’s being scrutinized like never before, and while Ohio’s prep hit king has had a monster sophomore-eligible season, he’s an unusual prospect with a short track record who hit .275 with one homer as a freshman.

“Who’s the comp for him?” one director said this week. “There’s no one like him in the major leagues. He didn’t play Team USA, he didn’t go to the Cape (Cod League). I just don’t know that we know what he can be.”

We gave Benintendi to the Cubs last week and they would prefer a strong college performer, which describes the Razorbacks center fielder. But his poor week in Hoover may have cost him some of his previous high stock.

Selection: Jon Harris, rhp, Missouri State

abmillis
Starter

Postby abmillis » Fri May 22, 2015 12:52 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:New BA mock draft. Tyler Jay goes 1.1, Cubs pick Jon Harris:

Jay at 1.1? seems odd to me... I know it's thought he's likely capable of starting, but wouldn't you want someone who at least has a track record of starting at 1.1?

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri May 22, 2015 1:00 pm

abmillis wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:New BA mock draft. Tyler Jay goes 1.1, Cubs pick Jon Harris:

Jay at 1.1? seems odd to me... I know it's thought he's likely capable of starting, but wouldn't you want someone who at least has a track record of starting at 1.1?

The answer to your question: Dave Stewart

Bilbo161
Role Player

Postby Bilbo161 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:09 am

Question for the board. Any info on Benintendi's make-up? Not participating in USA 18U and the Cape Cod league may not give the Cubs enough of a look to assess make-up, and could indicate the Cubs look elsewhere.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Theo checked out UCLA RHP James Kaprielian on Friday. From what I've seen, Kaprielian has mostly been mocked in the 15-25 range but does have some helium.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 26, 2015 3:26 pm

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 28, 2015 1:03 pm

Kiley mock #2: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb ... raft-v2-0/

9. Cubs – Daz Cameron, CF, Eagle’s Landing Christian HS (GA), Florida State commit

The Cubs have been very hard to peg this spring, as they’ve been tied to over a dozen players at this pick and it seems like they are more focused on misinformation than most years. They would take Tucker, Benintendi, Jay or Fulmer if they get here. President Theo Epstein has seen CF Andrew Benintendi, RHP James Kaprielian and RHP Jon Harris in the last few weeks and all performed just okay in his looks. Prep LF Trenton Clark had a lot of buzz here early, but seems to be fading. Collegiates RHP Jon Harris and 2B/RF Ian Happ have both been tied here for awhile and RHP Walker Buehler and Allard have been mentioned a bit as well. I’ve also heard prep CF Garrett Whitley and Juco RHP Phil Bickford here, but those seem unlikely. The Cubs had multiple high level scouts in to see Cameron down the stretch and he’s indicated he wants big money, but that’s an expected show, given his adviser (I’ll let you guess who it is). I think the decision would come down to Cameron, Happ or Harris in this scenario.

Kiley had this caveat about how the Astros pick likely will go in one of two ways and how that could alter the next few picks:

I mentioned that this pick will dictate the rest of the top 9, so here’s the most likely outcomes with Rodgers and Bregman scenarios at 2:

2/HOU/Bregman, 3/COL/Rodgers, 4/TEX/Tate, 5/HOU/Tucker, 6/MIN/Cameron, 7/BOS/Benintendi, 8/CHW/Jay, 9/CHC/Fulmer (the players at 5/6 and 7/9 could also flip in this scenario)

2/HOU/Rodgers, 3/COL/Jay, 4/TEX/Bregman, 5/HOU/Tucker, 6/MIN/Tate, 7/BOS/Benintendi, 8/CHW/Fulmer, 9/CHC/Cameron (the players at 7/9 could flip and 4/5/6 could be shuffled in any order  in this scenario)

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Law has us taking Happ in his latest mock. On a different note has there been any reports on Aiken?
Screw Pitchers

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Thu May 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Law has us taking Happ in his latest mock. On a different note has there been any reports on Aiken?

Does he have Benintendi being taken before the Cubs' pick?

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Thu May 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Law has Benintendi going to BOS at #7

Ronnie Woo Woo
All-Star

Postby Ronnie Woo Woo » Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 pm

I like Happ, but is the K rate high for college baseball? It looks like he's near 20% this year. He otherwise has a huge bat, and if he can play 2b he could be a solid pick at 9. I know Schwarber was quite a bit lower than 20% his last year at IU, but I'm not sure how it compares to most other top college players. Reason for concern?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Law has us taking Happ in his latest mock. On a different note has there been any reports on Aiken?

Medicals aren't out for him. Additionally, the thought is that teams interested in players like him and Matuella are going to be especially silent to disguise their interest. The Dodgers are a favorite selection for one of those two - the thinking is they have a few upper level top 10 prospects and are going to splurge internationally so they can afford to take a high risk/high reward guy in the draft.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Who is more likely to the Cubs at 9? Benintendi or Cameron?

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri May 29, 2015 4:03 pm

There are probably a dozen to fifteen names I would be OK with the Cubs picking and Daz just isn't one of them.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Fri May 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Given Law and McDaniel have both said the Red Sox are in on Benintendi and that Cameron apparently has high bonus demands, I'm a little surprised Callis thinks Benintendi is more likely to be there at #9.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2015 9:38 pm

BA mock:

9. Cubs

The Cubs have traveled in packs—who do they think they are, the Blue Jays?—to see many of their top targets at No. 9, with large groups of scouts and executives going in to see Garrett Whitley, the top SEC tournament targets such as Benintendi and Kaprielian. We’ve written for weeks that Kaprielian may offer the best bet among the college starters, but that his at times pedestrian velocity holds him back for some clubs, as does his perceived price tag. Kaprielian wasn’t as good against Oregon as he had been in recent weeks. His fastball had maintained 92 mph deep into starts in recent weeks (including the no-hitter), but in his last outing his fastball dipped to 88-90 by the fifth inning, but he has a track record of performance and a strong feel for using his above-average secondary stuff.

Selection: James Kaprielian, rhp, UCLA

Tate went 8.

Kaprielian is currently pitching on ESPNU.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri May 29, 2015 10:18 pm

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Still floors me that Jay could be the #3 pick and he's thrown 2 innings the past 15 days.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat May 30, 2015 2:46 pm

I am not too enthused with the idea of Kaprielian there, even if it's on the cheap. Not too enthused with Harris either. I know there's value in valuing floor that high if we're going with an arm, but I just feel like if you are going to roll the dice on an arm, which I'm not against, I'd rather go for upside. I believe Rawnsley had us taking Buehler, and while there's a lot more risk with Buehler, I'd rather take that upside gamble if we're going to go with an arm early.

Sure feels like whoever is available among Benintendi and Cameron might be our pick, which would be fine. Although, with Benintendi, I am sort of annoyed with hearing about another "next" Ellsbury.

sontensei
heathcliff slobumb

Postby sontensei » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:26 am

Okay watched the MLB network 2015 Draft Prospect review with Keith Law and Jim Kallis last night and they said this kid from Illinois Tyler Jay could step in and be a impact arm in the pen straight out of college in a setup role to start out in 2015 then have him transition to SP later on similar to Chris Sale. If he is around at 9 do you think the cubs do it and take the gamble he could step right in the pen by like August? Thoughts? I like that 98 MPH heater lol

HendryWallet
Role Player

Postby HendryWallet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:56 am

sontensei wrote:Okay watched the MLB network 2015 Draft Prospect review with Keith Law and Jim Kallis last night and they said this kid from Illinois Tyler Jay could step in and be a impact arm in the pen straight out of college in a setup role to start out in 2015 then have him transition to SP later on similar to Chris Sale. If he is around at 9 do you think the cubs do it and take the gamble he could step right in the pen by like August? Thoughts? I like that 98 MPH heater lol

I heard similar reasoning for why the astros might take him. I may be wrong but doesn't Jay throw 93-95 rather than upper 90s?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 am

sontensei wrote:Okay watched the MLB network 2015 Draft Prospect review with Keith Law and Jim Kallis last night and they said this kid from Illinois Tyler Jay could step in and be a impact arm in the pen straight out of college in a setup role to start out in 2015 then have him transition to SP later on similar to Chris Sale. If he is around at 9 do you think the cubs do it and take the gamble he could step right in the pen by like August? Thoughts? I like that 98 MPH heater lol

Sounds like the Cubs like Jay a lot but it really doesn't sound like he'll be available at 9.

sontensei
heathcliff slobumb

Postby sontensei » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 am

HendryWallet wrote:

I heard similar reasoning for why the astros might take him. I may be wrong but doesn't Jay throw 93-95 rather than upper 90s?

They mentioned he averages 93-95 but he has hit 98 yeah freakn astro's got 2 /5 top picks..

Return to “Amateur Baseball”