College Baseball 2015

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
bukie
Superstar

Re: College Baseball 2015

Postby bukie » Sun May 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Two games, two complete games pitched by Illinois so far by Kevin Duchene and Drasen Johnson. Maybe Jay won't pitch this weekend.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

sliceofpie
bench player

Postby sliceofpie » Sun May 31, 2015 7:39 pm

bukie wrote:Two games, two complete games pitched by Illinois so far by Kevin Duchene and Drasen Johnson. Maybe Jay won't pitch this weekend.

Going to the game tomorrow, hopefully he pitches.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 pm

sliceofpie wrote:
bukie wrote:Two games, two complete games pitched by Illinois so far by Kevin Duchene and Drasen Johnson. Maybe Jay won't pitch this weekend.

Going to the game tomorrow, hopefully he pitches.

Illinois will play Wright State tomorrow instead of Notre Dame again as they knocked off the Irish 4-0.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:05 am

Nice win for UCLA.

Odd UVA game ... Lake Elsinore was a crazy offensive night with USC/SD State going 12-11, and then UVA getting 5 in the 11th to win 14-10. UVA's SP didn't even make it out of the first. So glad Kirby supposedly can give us innings next week.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:15 pm

Illinois takes no chances and puts Jay in with a 1-run lead in the 6th. Jay pitches 4 innings of 1-hit ball for the save.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 am

Wow UCLA out. Sorry Raisin.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:08 am

Sports are dumb and we're all going to die.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:27 am

Illinois-Vandy next weekend. That'll be...interesting.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:12 am

bukie wrote:Illinois-Vandy next weekend. That'll be...interesting.

Hey, my mediocre Rebels took 2 of 3 from them in Nashville. I'm sure y'all can too. Although it's gonna suck having to start the series down a game because I doubt you will beat Carson Fulmer on Friday night. He's pretty ridiculous. Only reason he isn't the no.1 pick this year is because his mechanics make potential suitors want to puke. You're pretty much guaranteed to have to pay for a TJ surgery if you draft him.

But I'm all in for Illinois now! So many of you online Cubs friends of mine are fans of theirs so I'm hoping yall at least advance to Omaha.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:57 am

A bit befuddled at the overwhelming nod to Maryland over Virginia. I get Maryland being the favorite, but sure seems like everyone's picking them. I'd call it 50-50 ... and I think it comes down to whichever starter goes deeper and wins game 1 - Jones or Sharawyn.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:54 am

Wanna go to the LSU Super Regional? Cheapest seat is a bleacher seat at $271.35

http://www.stubhub.com/lsu-tigers-vs-lo ... 5-9321627/

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:52 pm

I have the utmost respect for what John Szefc has done for Maryland ... but he screwed up at the end today. Up 4-2 entering the 9th, Robert Galligan had thrown 100+ pitches coming out of the pen in the first after Selmer was ineffective for 14 pitches (weirdly, Galligan only had his breaking ball, as he couldn't throw his fastball for strikes). Bobby Ruse had warmed up the last few innings, Kevin Mooney, and Alex Robinson (a possible big league pen arm) had been warming. There was no reason to send Galligan out ... other than the idea that if Galligan gets through, you have a lot of arms for tomorrow. Problem is, you gotta win today to get to tomorrow.

Okay, I get Galligan going out there. Once he gave up the walk to start the inning, he should've been gone. They kept him in there for 2 more batters, a hit and a walk to load the bases. Then, they bring in Kevin Mooney, who get lit up by UVA yesterday ... and according to ESPN, was ineffective in the pen. If ESPN can tell ... then MD's coaches should've known. He promptly gives up a walk to Doherty, with the bases still loaded. At this point, Virginia had no outs, bases loaded, down 1 run. I guess you hope Mooney is effective against the 9th batter, Ernie Clement ... but geesh, it was just a mess.

Tough losses for Maryland, particularly since the pen blew the losses, and that was their strength.

Edit: Not sure who I should cheer for ... Missouri State or Arkansas? Any opinions? I'm not all that worried about Jon Harris. I am concerned with Arkansas' offense. That's my thought process, at least.
Last edited by toonsterwu on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Duchene-Fulmer coming up in one hour.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:49 pm

toonsterwu wrote:I have the utmost respect for what John Szefc has done for Maryland ... but he screwed up at the end today. Up 4-2 entering the 9th, Robert Galligan had thrown 100+ pitches coming out of the pen in the first after Selmer was ineffective for 14 pitches (weirdly, Galligan only had his breaking ball, as he couldn't throw his fastball for strikes). Bobby Ruse had warmed up the last few innings, Kevin Mooney, and Alex Robinson (a possible big league pen arm) had been warming. There was no reason to send Galligan out ... other than the idea that if Galligan gets through, you have a lot of arms for tomorrow. Problem is, you gotta win today to get to tomorrow.

Okay, I get Galligan going out there. Once he gave up the walk to start the inning, he should've been gone. They kept him in there for 2 more batters, a hit and a walk to load the bases. Then, they bring in Kevin Mooney, who get lit up by UVA yesterday ... and according to ESPN, was ineffective in the pen. If ESPN can tell ... then MD's coaches should've known. He promptly gives up a walk to Doherty, with the bases still loaded. At this point, Virginia had no outs, bases loaded, down 1 run. I guess you hope Mooney is effective against the 9th batter, Ernie Clement ... but geesh, it was just a mess.

Tough losses for Maryland, particularly since the pen blew the losses, and that was their strength.

Edit: Not sure who I should cheer for ... Missouri State or Arkansas? Any opinions? I'm not all that worried about Jon Harris. I am concerned with Arkansas' offense. That's my thought process, at least.

How well will Arkansas' offense play in TD Ameritrade, though?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Good luck Illinois guys. Pulling for yall. Fulmer is a freaking beast though.

Interested to see how your stadium looks. Surely there will be some collapsible bleachers brought in or something. Will your fans turn out?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:12 pm

That field turf stuff is gross. Pellets always get in your shoes on those fields. I imagine it's a necessity though for a school that high north. You'd be playing on dead grass for two months otherwise.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Well, Duchene having trouble finding the strike zone early, which isn't a good sign for a command pitcher. Just needs to settle down from here on out.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Wait, Illinois bats their best hitter 7th? lol, college baseball coaches. Gotta love 'em.

Also, I can see why Law has no faith in Fulmer as a starter with that delivery. I hadn't really seen him pitch before tonight.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Fulmer is a TJ surgery certainty.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Lousy performance by the Illini :banghead:

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Yeah, Fulmer hasn't changed much. Well ... on the surface, watching him pitch, it's improved a bit, but that' still a lot of effort. I remember him coming out of the pen against UVA last year and it was a lot more effort, if that can be believed (at least, to the naked eye and my memory).

Fascinating end to LSU vs. ULL. Top of the 9th home run for Conrad and ULL to tie, only for Bacon to give up a homer to Sciambra (sp?) for LSU to walk off. I thought Maineri made a mistake leaving Lange in there to start the 9th (and Maineri sort of hinted at feeling bad for Lange), as Lange had clearly tired, but when you win, you get away with mistakes.

Raisin, I imagine Arkansas' offense won't be as ... exciting? ... in TD Ameritrade, but I'm more concerned with their ability to work a pitcher, more than anything. Connor Jones is prone to an occasional bad inning here or there, and UVA can't afford to go deep. It's starting to feel like Kirby is a break in-case-of-emergency option, so UVA is going in very thin to the CWS pitching wise.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:23 pm

TD Ameritrade sucks ass. Raisin will disagree because that type of park favors his program's approach. Nevertheless, slugging is a large component of many successful college baseball programs and that is completely negated at that crappy park. It is not a neutral playing field.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:50 pm

OleMissCub wrote:TD Ameritrade sucks ass. Raisin will disagree because that type of park favors his program's approach. Nevertheless, slugging is a large component of many successful college baseball programs and that is completely negated at that crappy park. It is not a neutral playing field.

Yeah, UCLA wouldn't have won it all in 2013 without it but it makes for horrible baseball.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Jay just gave up his first home run of the season.

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Swanson just homered off of Jay.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”