College Baseball 2015

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

College Baseball 2015

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:19 am

Today is opening day!!

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: College Baseball 2015

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:25 am

HOTTY TODDY!!

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am

Hopefully there will be more home run beer showers for the Rebels this year with the new flat seamed ball being introduced. Not gonna make a massive difference, but it will be noticeable. A ball that used to go 360 will now go 385ish, so that deep double in the gap might now be a home run. Good thing about the new ball is there is no increased exit speed off the bat since the ball isn't wound tighter, which means no increased risk of injury for pitchers. What is actually making the ball go farther is the lessened drag effect once the ball actually gets into the air.

Unfortunately, the ball won't make much of a difference where it matters most: Omaha. The wind is still going to be howling in and because of the lessened drag effect ball still won't be getting down in front of outfielders. So just like every other year you'll have outfielders stationed 50 feet behind the infield dirt. So just like every other year, the only way to get basehits in Omaha is to roll them up the middle or down the lines or if you get someone like Mike Papi hit the absolute isht out of a ball.

I hate Omaha so much.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 pm

An interesting UVA squad this year. I'm not that convinced that UVA deserves to be ranked that highly to start the year, but it is an excellent weekend rotation (Kirby/Jones/Waddell) with a top shelf closer talent (Sborz), and plenty of arms to fill out the pen and weekday slot. If Jones is that much better than last year, he might be the best arm on the staff and a possible 1/1 in 2016. Offensively, a lot of losses last year, but a solid freshman class of positional talent came in to help. Joe McCarthy out early may be a blessing in disguise, as it sort of forces the youngsters in early during the weaker part of the schedule. Supposedly Ernie Clement is looking great, and the same goes for Haseley/Pavin Smith, two freshmen expected to carry a load. Didn't follow enough in the summer/winter to know why John LaPrise was moved to full-time OF duty (and promptly got hurt to start the year), but I guess that might be a positive statement on Justin Wilcox as much as anything. This is a tourny team that could get better as the season moves along. The pitching can carry this club through any offensive struggles, so on paper, it should be a possible Omaha team.

Draft wise, Kirby looks like a first rounder. Waddell/Sborz ... tough to tell. Not impossible that a strong season from Sborz pushes him into 1st round territory, but I'd guess both are in that 2nd-5th round range. McCarthy is a top 5 round guy if he comes back and is on. Not sure where LaPrise falls now (last season, would've said he was a top 6-8 round guy for sure). I forgot Daniel Pinero was draft-eligible, and if his increased size leads to better pop, he could be a fascinating guy, although I doubt he's a 6'4" shortstop. May be Ryan Flaherty-esque?

ACC looks weaker this year, from the little that I've skimmed.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 pm

college baseball is so broken
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:college baseball is so broken

why

Redfoot
Role Player

Postby Redfoot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 am

The season starts too early. It's not fair to northern teams who have to play road games for the first month of the season and it endangers the players who have to play in 30 degree temperatures. The start of the season should be moved back to March 1.

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Redfoot wrote:The season starts too early. It's not fair to northern teams who have to play road games for the first month of the season and it endangers the players who have to play in 30 degree temperatures. The start of the season should be moved back to March 1.

Doesn't matter all that much since weather still sucks around this time for the northern teams so they're still on the road most of the time (although not nearly as long). Can't really move it back too much either because that means you're starting the tournament around mid-late June instead of late May and CWS would be in July sometime unless you shorten the season. MLB Draft is early June. You're messing with the deadlines for draftees and whatnot.

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
Redfoot wrote:The season starts too early. It's not fair to northern teams who have to play road games for the first month of the season and it endangers the players who have to play in 30 degree temperatures. The start of the season should be moved back to March 1.

Doesn't matter all that much since weather still sucks around this time for the northern teams so they're still on the road most of the time (although not nearly as long). Can't really move it back too much either because that means you're starting the tournament around mid-late June instead of late May and CWS would be in July sometime unless you shorten the season. MLB Draft is early June. You're messing with the deadlines for draftees and whatnot.

See, I never understood the reason to have the baseball draft when it is. It's the only sport that has the draft during the middle of the season anyway, so why not move the draft to like right after the trade deadline? Move the start of the college baseball season back to mid-March or whatever, have the CWS championship be held in conjunction with the MLB All-Star Game in July--ideally have their games the Wed/Thur after the Tuesday baseball ASG, have the MLB draft on or around 8/1, ideally the draft picks become tradeable assets like every other normal sport. What are the rookies really accomplishing by playing 2 months of A ball or whatever? Would Kyle Schwarber be that much further behind without those 100 at bats off of guys who will mostly be working at Wal-Mart in 3 years anyway? I guess the signability of the HS kids is rushed then with colleges starting classes in mid-August, but with the current slotting system, most kids know what they are going to do when they are drafted.

The downside is that the "student athletes" don't really get a summer break, but most of those guys are on-campus taking classes because they take the bare minimum during the baseball season or in Cape Cod leagues or whatever anyway during the summer. The current approach of basing college athletics off of the antiquated agriculturally based school year is dumb to me anyway.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:23 am

Well, UVA suffered it's first loss of the year on Nate Kirby's start ... and he was downright brilliant at times, but they lost 1-0. As noted, I thought UVA was a bit over-rated entering the year with so many offensive losses, along with the loss of key cog Joe McCarthy for a few months. There's been some other injuires (Robbie Coman/John LaPrise) that have thinned out UVA's roster so much that they went to the club team to look for 4 positional players to tryout and possibly add to the club (they were short of the 35 man limit by 6, so they had room). Still, depending on club guys ... not the best.

If McCarthy gets back, it feels like McCarthy/Thaiss/Pavin Smith will give them a solid middle of the lineup, with Ernie Clement (possibly at 2nd, taking out Wilcox's bad bat?) and Kenny Towns giving the lineup a few extra pieces (and I think Robbie Coman can hit), so in time, the UVA offense may squeak into the solid territory. A lot of youngsters are struggling (namely, Adam Haseley), which might be good for their long-term development.

The positives in all this is that the pitching is really that good. Kirby so far looks like he's trying to make a case for a Top 5 pick, and Connor Jones really looks like he's improved a ton. When your worst weekend starter is the steady Brandon Waddell, that's a nice thing. Sborz has been solid in the pen. I'm still curious about the weekday rotation gig, but with the weather early in the year, things have been moved around (Alec Bettinger got a start, but could certainly see other guys in the mix).

Thankfully, for UVA, the schedule is relatively soft to start the year, so the pitching should be able to carry us awhile. Here's hoping guys get healthy and the lineup is able to push forward.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 am

2016 1st rounder/ staff ace Cal Quantrill of Stanford is having THS.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:46 pm

UK wrote:2016 1st rounder/ staff ace Cal Quantrill of Stanford is having THS.

Potential 1.1 pick, at that.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:49 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
UK wrote:2016 1st rounder/ staff ace Cal Quantrill of Stanford is having THS.

Potential 1.1 pick, at that.

Is that Tommy Haas Surgery? Tennis Elbow?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Had a nice beer shower tonight during our win against #1 Florida

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:52 am

I'm going to be quite fascinated with this weekend for UVA vs. Louisville. To be fair, I guess there's the game this afternoon against VCU to be concerned with. UVA struggled to start the ACC season, with an ugly sweep to the Hokies, and a bad series loss to Florida State (bad because of how Game 2/3 went ... obviously, losing a series to FSU isn't bad). The offense was scuffling, with the number of injuries and the young kids forced in early. The pitching was the disappointing part, was Jones had an ugly outing with huge control problems, and Waddell wasn't exactly sharp. A bigger concern is the lack of pen depth at the moment (outside of Doherty and Bettinger, no one else has been consistent in front of Sborz ... and Bettinger gets occasional weekday starts).

After a bad loss to Georgetown, where the offense disappeared, they swept Notre Dame. Obviously, the Irish aren't exactly a great team this year (actually, the entire ACC seems relatively down), but it was a good series win. More importantly, the pitching looked better. Jones could be a high first in 2016 if the command is there. Kirby's been strong, and Waddell simply has to be steady for them. Derek Casey (IIRC, there were rumors the Cubs targeted him last year, but he passed on it, what was it, 3rd round? or was it the 2nd round slot and then they opted for Stinnett) had a good outing yesterday against VMI. The pen has the raw talent to be better than years past, but it's young (and veterans like David Rosenberger have scuffled to start the year).

The lineup's better now. Sadly, sounds like John LaPrise may be out for the year (reading b/w the lines of reports abroad can be debatable). That said, McCarthy should be back at some point. Thaiss is hitting it real well this year, really putting it together in his sophomore campaign (if he can stick behind the plate, he's going to be a fascinating college catcher in the 2016 draft). Towns has been a solid veteran anchor, and Pavin Smith has been solid first year. Power's going to take time for Smith. Daniel Pinero's added bulk seems to have made him stronger at the plate. Robbie Coman's healthy, so he's splitting time at C/1st/DH with mainly Thaiss, and the pleasant surprise, Kevin Doherty (due to injuries, UVA had to call up guys from the club team and move Doherty into a 2-way role, and he's excelled at the plate, at least, relative to expectations). Novak's bad bat was taken out and Clement was shifted there, as Adam Haseley moved into CF. Haseley's bat has taken off of late as well. If McCarthy makes it back, this is a fairly deep lineup again.

That said, it was one series against Notre Dame. Louisville's going to be a big test. They really need these next two ACC series to be series wins, IMO, to really have a shot at hosting a regional. Obviously, with UVA's arm, if they make it anywhere, they'll be a threat, but you want that regional. Losses in the next two series could really dent that, although I haven't looked in depth at the numbers.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:56 pm

BA projecting 5 Big Ten teams in the tourney, with OSU the first team out. That's gotta be a record right?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... 4-april-1/
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:41 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:BA projecting 5 Big Ten teams in the tourney, with OSU the first team out. That's gotta be a record right?

Maybe so. The conference teams seem to be investing a little more money in baseball these days. TV money in the last few years probably has something to do with it.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:03 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:BA projecting 5 Big Ten teams in the tourney, with OSU the first team out. That's gotta be a record right?

Maybe so. The conference teams seem to be investing a little more money in baseball these days. TV money in the last few years probably has something to do with it.

I've always wondered why ESPN never ponied up to show much college baseball and left it to regional networks. Heck, it's almost impossible to find results on ESPN for it either.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 pm

stuy119 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

I've always wondered why ESPN never ponied up to show much college baseball and left it to regional networks. Heck, it's almost impossible to find results on ESPN for it either.

Ya, d1baseball.com is the go-to source for scores. Instant score updates for every game in the country.

Most major conference college games are now on the watchespn app.

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Pretty wild following Iowa baseball somewhat closely for the first time in my life.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 pm

We'll see if Kentucky can knock off A & M, I think Dallas Baptist is the best team right now in the country.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Ya, d1baseball.com is the go-to source for scores. Instant score updates for every game in the country.

If, in 14 years this site has provided me with nothing else, the d1baseball.com knowledge is quite possibly the best thing I've gotten. :clapping:

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:25 am

stuy119 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

If, in 14 years this site has provided me with nothing else, the d1baseball.com knowledge is quite possibly the best thing I've gotten. :clapping:

lol, ya man, searching for updated college baseball scores is a nightmare until you find that site.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Benito Santiago's kid plays catcher for Tennessee. Kid is really good behind the plate. Go figure.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:21 pm

D1Baseball.com (led by Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers) put out a projected field of 64 today: http://www.d1baseball.com/projections/m ... rojection/

Return to “Amateur Baseball”