College Baseball 2015

Discussion about the June amateur draft, college baseball, high school baseball, etc.
toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: College Baseball 2015

Postby toonsterwu » Sat May 16, 2015 11:27 am

Interesting move by Brian O'Connor yesterday. Josh Sborz had moved back into the rotation with Kirby's injury, but with UVA needing one win to lock up the ACC tournament, he went Waddell (who finally had a good outing) and Sborz (as a side note, they knocked Bukauskus around a bit ... I remember when folks were huge on that kid ... granted, I think he'll be fine in time, but was nice to see him get knocked around, as a UVA fan ... side note 2 ... Sborz has quietly had a good season and I think he's sort of been lost in the midst of interesting college pen arms ... I'd love him in the 3rd-5th range as a guy who might ... might ... be able to move fast and get to the bigs soon, although I think there might be some clubs tempted with the idea of trying him as a starter).

A healthy Kirby, and I would feel more intrigued about UVA's chances. As it stands, they are in the ACC tournament, and Connor Jones seems to have taken that next step. If they can sneak into the NCAA tournament, they'll be an interesting team. Not as strong a
"darkhorse" challenger without Kirby, but with a legit ace and a fairly interesting lineup, could cause some trouble. Assuming Pinero comes back, and assuming a young arm or two steps up (namely, the injured Derek Casey), they should be back to their usual quality ACC team next year.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 17, 2015 8:50 pm

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Illinois now with a B1G-record 27 game winning streak after holding off Nebraska 3-2 in the first round of the B1G tourney.

Got to be closing in on a national seed now.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 am

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu May 21, 2015 8:02 am

bukie wrote:Illinois now with a B1G-record 27 game winning streak after holding off Nebraska 3-2 in the first round of the B1G tourney.

Got to be closing in on a national seed now.

Y'all already have it IMO. They're going to give a national seed to a Big 10 team and so of course it's going to be them.

However, you are now running into the problem with conference tournaments and how sometimes it's best to just lose right away and set yourself up for the regional and get rested if you have a serious chance at making a run in the postseason.

fwiw, I saw a projection somewhere that had Ole Miss as a 2 seed in the Illinois regional. That would be fun!

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Illinois down 2-1 in the 8th...
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu May 21, 2015 11:14 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Illinois down 2-1 in the 8th...

Boo, it's not on watchespn. that sucks. I guess I'm a little spoiled with virtually every sec game being available there throughout the year.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu May 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Ah just found it on big ten network

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:40 pm

Maryland probably just played their way into the tourney.

I get that it's tough scheduling 4 games per day, but man that sucks for a 1 seed to be playing until 12:30 AM local time.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu May 21, 2015 11:59 pm

Although their SOS is pretty bad at 147, their RPI is badass at 9th, which will assuredly get them a national seed, especially considering that the committee would certainly love to have one from each of the Power Five. They'll get that with Miami, UCLA, LSU, TCU, and Illinois. That may not have ever happened before.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/rpi-beta

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/sos

jb10194
Role Player

Postby jb10194 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 pm

I grew up playing baseball with their left fielder Ryan Nagle so that's pretty cool. This is the first time I've tried following a college baseball team somewhat closely.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat May 23, 2015 4:05 pm

jb10194 wrote:I grew up playing baseball with their left fielder Ryan Nagle so that's pretty cool. This is the first time I've tried following a college baseball team somewhat closely.

It's fun! I have to remind myself of what a different world it is concerning college baseball in the north compared to the south. We usually have 10-12,000 each game for a weekend SEC series and that's at basically every school in the league.

So much of it has to do with the disadvantage that northern schools face regarding the early season weather. If they were to push the season back a month it would help a tremendous amount, but they'll probably never do that.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun May 24, 2015 2:57 am

I think UCLA could get the #1 overall seed if they win today. Annoying they blew Saturday's game.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 25, 2015 11:12 am

Just great. My Rebs gotta play UCLA.

Congrats all you Illinois guys. Looks like you should be hosting a Super Regional this year since your regional bracket is pretty damn easy.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon May 25, 2015 1:25 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Just great. My Rebs gotta play UCLA.

Congrats all you Illinois guys. Looks like you should be hosting a Super Regional this year since your regional bracket is pretty damn easy.

Yay, UCLA with the #1 overall seed! And if UCLA advances, they host UCSB (Dillon Tate), USC or Virginia. Some tough pitching there.

At least you don't have to go to the Lake Elsinore Regional (UC Santa Barbara) like Virginia will. Lake Elsinore is a high desert town 4 hours from Santa Barbara, 1 hour from San Diego and 1.5 hours from LA.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon May 25, 2015 1:31 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Yay, UCLA with the #1 overall seed! And if UCLA advances, they host UCSB (Dillon Tate), USC or Virginia. Some tough pitching there.

At least you don't have to go to the Lake Elsinore Regional (UC Santa Barbara) like Virginia will. Lake Elsinore is a high desert town 4 hours from Santa Barbara, 1 hour from San Diego and 1.5 hours from LA.

Straight over the hills from where I used to live, though!
Spoiler: show

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 25, 2015 2:35 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Y'all are lucky that you won't have to Maryland's ace like we will in the first game. Sophomore Mike Shawaryn is 12-2, 1.65 ERA, 124 Ks, 23 BBs, .204 BAA.

The Rebels won't be much of a threat this year. Big rebuilding year after losing 4 All-Americans and 9 guys to the draft. We have three good starting pitchers (Trent, Bramlett, and Weathersby) and one major bat in Sikes Orvis who has 16 HR this year. Very, very young team.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Mon May 25, 2015 10:22 pm

I don't know how I feel about Texas winning the Big 12 and getting an auto when they were basically out of the tournament. I think Augie Garrido stays no matter what happens when it's time to retire and move on.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Mon May 25, 2015 10:57 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

Last time Virginia headed west for a regional, it turned out pretty well. My betting money is probably ... UCSB? That said, I'm mildly intrigued at UVA's chances in what looks to be a brutal regional, since Kirby supposedly could pitch a 3rd game, and Jones/Sborz is a fine 1/2 punch. UVA badly needs their SP to carry them (or for the offense to step up), as the pen has been erratic all year, and without Sborz, it's just plain thin. If UVA could squeak into Supers, it becomes a lot more interesting, because at that juncture, either Sborz/Kirby could go to a fireman role, depending on Kirby's condition.

Tough to see them get there, though. A lot of good talent in their region, and a lot of good pitching.

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Tue May 26, 2015 5:19 am

Raisin what can you tell me about Oregon? I know their RPI was low and they pretty much played their way in the last couple of weeks, espcially by pulling out 2 close ones against UCLA.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri May 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Raisin, your ballpark is tiny! Guess it proves you don't have to spend money win championships. I'm not making fun but it's just surprising that one of the more prestigious programs in college baseball history plays in such a small venue. I've seen comparable high school fields.

Compare to where Texas plays:

or LSU:

or Ole Miss

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 pm

Good start for the Big Ten. Maybe they should have had 8 bids.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm

I can't help but feel a tiny bit ... excited ... about UVA's chances at Lake Elsinore. I was curious how O'Connor would line up the depleted UVa pitching, and having Sborz out of the pen is an interesting move. Puts him in position to be used tomorrow if necessary. Tate will be used up, and while he struggled down the stretch, and while Jacome is a good talent in his own right, I'd rather face Jacome than Tate. The UVA offense seems to be finding a rhythm. Of course, Waddell has been so inconsistent all year.

The way UVA's Connor Jones is pitching, they'll have a shot if they get to Supers. Gotta get there first.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 30, 2015 12:08 am

OleMissCub wrote:Raisin, your ballpark is tiny! Guess it proves you don't have to spend money win championships. I'm not making fun but it's just surprising that one of the more prestigious programs in college baseball history plays in such a small venue. I've seen comparable high school fields.

Compare to where Texas plays:

or LSU:

or Ole Miss

West Coast stadiums - particularly in Southern California - are very small as they don't draw crowds as well as the South.

With regards to UCLA specifically, Jackie Robinson Stadium isn't on campus and UCLA actually rents it from the VA so they can't make any of the renovations they want to. That said, Jackie Robinson is a fantastic stadium.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Sat May 30, 2015 1:53 am

Well ... I'll be ... San Diego State won. I should be concerned about their offense, as UVA after Jones is quite shaky pitching wise ... but I like the match up a lot better than going against Jacome.

Edit: Well, there goes UCSB. This looks good for UVA, but I'm guessing San Diego State and USC fans feel like this sets up well for them as well, as UVA pitching is shaky after Jones.

Return to “Amateur Baseball”