October 2006: Q & A with Len Kasper

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

October 2006: Q & A with Len Kasper

Postby NCCubFan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:02 am

Len Kasper, Broadcaster for the Chicago, has graciously agreed for a third time to answer questions from posters on NSBB! If you would like to send a comment to Len, or if you would like to ask Len a question, feel free to post it here. The deadline for submitting questions is Sunday, Sept. 30 at 10:00 P.M. Central time. Once Len has had an opportunity to answer them, the responses will be posted.

This session will be coordinated as in accordance with The NSBB Q & A Guidelines.

Thank you to Len for again taking the time to interact with us on such an up close and personal level. In addition, thank you to Len for his references to NSBB both during broadcasts and the WGN Sports Baseball Blog. A special thank you to Len for his help in raising funds for the American Red Cross with his donated 2005 Spring Training Scorecards.

As always, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community! :cheers:
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Thanks Len! It's always a pleasure to have you around.

A few questions.

First, what priorities do you think the Cubs should have in making the team a winner during the offseason? Are there any free agents you would like to see the Cubs target this winter?

Secondly, what do you do during the offseason?

Third, what do you think is the best new TV series of the fall?

Thanks!

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 pm

Three questions:

Why do you keep coming back? Do you like the abuse here? :p

If Bob Brenly managed somewhere next year, who would be your ideal partner in the booth?

If I were to inquire about an internship working in the booth with you guys, how should I start? I'm graduating in May, and thought I might ask...

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:31 pm

Hey Len, great to have you back once again!

A couple questions...

Do you and Bob have a list of random topics you go to in blowout games? At times this year it got to the point where it was almost as entertaining to watch a rout as a close game because of your and Bob's ramblings!

Also, if you were to recommend five bands that you have gotten into recently to NSBB, which five would you choose?

Thanks again!

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:54 pm

Thanks for doing another Q & A.

It seems a foregone conclusion that Dusty won't be back next year. Do you have any feel for who WILL be the Cubs' manager next year, and do you have any opinion on who you think SHOULD be?

Also, do you think Hendry will be under a mandate to produce a winner next year to keep his job beyond 2007? There's been a fair amount of speculation that might be the case.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:50 am

Len,
Thanks for taking the time to drop by again. I have 3 questions for you...

(1) Last time you agreed to this I asked you how difficult it was to not scream "you suck" into the mic when a team goes through a long funk and you responded with class. Any changes to your opinion after this "season"?

(2) Phil Nevin recently commented about some off field events. What do you know about some of the issues that affected this team that most of us know little about?

(3) Would you mind if I told my buddies that you were my friend?

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:41 am

Len,

Have you read Larry Dierker's book, This Ain't Brain Surgery? If so, what is your opinion on his thoughts about the game? Would you think he'd make a good candidate as a manager?

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 pm

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:Len,

Have you read Larry Dierker's book, This Ain't Brain Surgery? If so, what is your opinion on his thoughts about the game? Would you think he'd make a good candidate as a manager?

I was waiting for this question.

As for an actual question:

Len, what other broadcasters (for any sport but mainly baseball) do you enjoy listening to?
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:18 pm

Another couple questions if you don't mind:

What is your favorite play to call during a game and why?

Have you ever heard of Mofro (band)?

Who has been the funniest seventh inning stretch interview this year?

Thanks again for doing this!

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:27 am

Len,

You're trapped on a deserted island and you can only have three people or things with you? Who/what do you have?

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:58 am

Do you think there's a realistic chance for the Cubs competing next season?

What movie are you more looking forward to, the Borat movie or Tenacious D in the Pick Of Destiny?

Have you ever wondered why Jim Hendry and Dusty Baker constantly comment on how their pitchers giving up walks always ends up hurting them, while never acknowledging that the fact our hitters drawing so few walks hurts us just as much?

Assume Dusty Baker is out next season, who do you want managing the Cubs next year?

The playoff teams are pretty much all decided. Who ya got winning it all?

What do you think is more valuable? A catcher who produces offensively while being below average defensively, or a defensive catcher who stinks with the bat?
Do it for Kent.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Len,

How do you maintain that squeeky clean image that you portray while still managing the appeal to the 'in crowd'?

How do Cubs execs feel about you using terms like VORP during your broadcasts? Are they usually confused by it and excuse it as some sort of inside joke between you and your listeners?

If you could have one of two players, both with a career .900 OPS, one has an OBP of .420 and a SLG of .480 and the other has an OBP of .350 and a SLG of .550, which player do you think is more needed for THIS team and do you think the organization would make the same choice?

Thanks for another fun year, hopefully the Cubs can do better next year so I do not continue to associate your voice with losing.
Dare to dream....

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:20 pm

Len,

Great job working in the statistical views during the broadcasts.

Any insight on Aramis Ramirez's offseason decision to opt out of his deal? Please tell me Hendry has this situation handled....
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:11 am

Hi Len,

How about them Bears? :D

Andy's gone, we're assuming Dusty will be (and he may be by the time you answer these questions), so does it stand to reason that Jim Hendry is really on the hot-seat at this point?

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:20 am

With the recent events, and yesterday's board outage, the deadline for submitting questions is being extended until tomorrow at 10:00 P.M. Central time.

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:56 am

Len,

Now that Dusty is out, do you expect your partner to pursue the Cubs' managerial vacancy? What about the job in SF? Has he talked with you about any of these things?

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:54 am

Hey Len, thanks for stopping by again and for the great job you do in the booth every day.

Given his former position, I'm guessing you have worked closely with John McDonough during your time with the Cubs and would like to hear some of your thoughts on him. Do you think that he'll have much input on baseball operations or will he concentrate on business/marketing while those types of personnel decisions are left to guys like Jim Hendry, Tim Wilken, and Gary Hughes? If you do think he will play a large role in determining what the team on the field will look like, what can we expect from McDonough? Will organizational philosophies remain status quo, or will he be open to (or even push for) newer, more progressive approaches to building a major league baseball team?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us!

RichHillIsABeast
5-Time All-Star

Postby RichHillIsABeast » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Len!

What kind of mid-game snacks are you and Bob into? (I know Bob sneaks a beer or two in there - my hero)

What is Mark Prior's status? There have been rumors (Will Carroll, BP) that he has the same shoulder injury Woody had going into this past season.

No performance at the Len and Bob's Bash? Not even some sweet air guitar? lol

At what point does GM Jim Hendry become truly accountable for his failures, rather than merely stating that he accepts some of the blame for the on-field product? Could anyone have managed this club to above .500 this past season?

I really don't miss Stoney and Caray in the booth anymore. Thanks for all your efforts!

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

Postby A New Era » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Len, Big fan of you and Bob.

1)What do you think of the changes that have happened so far this offseason, and what do you think the plans should be for the Cubs over the next couple of seasons?

2)Has your partner Bob Brenly expressed interest in managing for the Cubs, and what type of manager do you think he would be for us if he were chosen? I know he has expressed his love for Matt Murton and the importance of OBP. And I like that.

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 am

Hey Len, thanks for answering our questions yet again!

Do you think Aramis will be back? If so, what kind of deal do you think he will get?

Also, how are the podcast studios coming? :D

Thanks!

-AF
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

Drew Doughty
5-Time All-Star

Postby Drew Doughty » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 am

Hey Len, thanks for making 2006 somewhat enjoyable. It was an impossible task, but you, with Bob, did a great job.

Anyways, would you ever be interested in taking your baseball career beyond announcing if given the oppurtunity? Or would be like me and want to avoid the pressure that goes with being associated with a baseball team. Also, who's going to win the World Series this year?

Thanks!

goony's evil twin
Hall of Fame

Postby goony's evil twin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:51 am

Mr. Len

Did Esquire Magazine make the right decision?

Which Cubs personality would most likely cheat on the golf course?

Do the Cubs realize that their lack of walks the past 4 years has been the primary reason why their offense has sucked so bad? Do they realize their offense has sucked so bad?

Electron Blue
All-Star

Postby Electron Blue » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:37 pm

Len,

First of all, thanks again for taking time to answer questions for some of the Cubs' biggest fans here at NSBB (not to mention some of your biggest fans).

I've never really understood the relationship between broadcasters and players/managers. You (and every other broadcaster) will often talk about game-related discussions you had with players in pre-game. But how would you describe the professional/friendliness attitude between you all?

How much does it feel like a job, and how much do you feel like a star-struck fan?

Thanks,
Brian - Lincoln, NE

VVMattVV
Starter

Postby VVMattVV » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:53 pm

How tough is it to call a game when the stands are depleted, the audience at home isn't as large, and the games don't mean as much?

Which rookie player impressed you the most in 2006?

Which opposing player's name is your least favorite to pronounce?

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:02 am

Echoing everyone else, thanks for taking the time out to do this.

Did you happen to catch the 3 idiots in the RF bleachers with bags on their heads during the 7-0 comeback against the Dodgers in September?

If Bob Brenly does wind up taking another managing gig, do you have any preferences on who would replace him in the booth, and do you think you'd be allowed any input into the decision?

Return to “Chats”