Dempster Traded to Texas for 3B Villanueva & RHP Hendricks

davell
Superstar

Re: The Dempster Trade Thread

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:08 am

Sure, things CAN go on a few more days, or either of Ned, Theo, or whoever else we're dealing with can easily make one call and it's done. Personally, I don't see him making his start tonight.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

Bruce Levine ‏@ESPNBruceLevine
Dodgers continue hot pursuit of Dempster. Offer still on table. Hoping to get deal done ASAP.

lulz

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

davell wrote:Sure, things CAN go on a few more days, or either of Ned, Theo, or whoever else we're dealing with can easily make one call and it's done. Personally, I don't see him making his start tonight.

Yeah, they may well be playing chicken, at this point.

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am

It seems like they are less than thrilled with the dodger offer and are looking at what they can get from other teams and that's what's dragging this out. If they feel like they can get a better deal from Atlanta or another team I'm sure that they take their time with this and see what else is out there.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 am

If the prospects we're getting here are possibly meaningful, which at least one should be, we can't take the risk of Dempster getting injured. He gets hurt and he's not back until after the deadline, which means we get nothing. Because he'd get blocked in August. Hopefully this thing gets done today. Assuming we're getting at least Gould. If the packages are awful, it's certainly understandable to let him pitch.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 am

I've got to assume it's a bluff. There's no way Theo is dumb enough to risk injury or a bad game from Dempster when there are offers on the table.
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

BeerHere
All-Star

Postby BeerHere » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

I don't care how long it goes as long as they maximize his value. Clearly the Cubs don't want Dempster to start again to risk injury or a bad outing or something else to lower his value. If they want they can just skip his next start. Be patient, get the best prospects possible. That's what I'm hoping for.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

Roast wrote:I've got to assume it's a bluff. There's no way Theo is dumb enough to risk injury or a bad game from Dempster when there are offers on the table.

Holy [expletive].

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:22 am

ctcf wrote:
Roast wrote:I've got to assume it's a bluff. There's no way Theo is dumb enough to risk injury or a bad game from Dempster when there are offers on the table.

Holy [expletive].

Hah, yeah, I'm still around. Sometimes. It's the rare slow day at work with not many of the boss-people here. I'm welcoming myself back to the interwebs.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 am

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#nationals said trying hard on dempster. #braves in, & #tigers may be, too. 1 gm still thinks #dodgers still favorite tho

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 am

Roast wrote:Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#nationals said trying hard on dempster. #braves in, & #tigers may be, too. 1 gm still thinks #dodgers still favorite tho

Any time there are multiple teams "trying hard" that's a good thing, glad they are taking their time on this. Good to see you around again Roast.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 am

Roast wrote:
ctcf wrote:

Holy [expletive].

Hah, yeah, I'm still around. Sometimes. It's the rare slow day at work with not many of the boss-people here. I'm welcoming myself back to the interwebs.

Welcome back, dude!

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 am

Vinestal wrote:
Roast wrote:Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

Any time there are multiple teams "trying hard" that's a good thing, glad they are taking their time on this. Good to see you around again Roast.

Yea, this sounds pretty promising. Sounds like he's really trying to get every last bit he can out of this.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks guys!

And yeah, I'd love to see a mini bidding war get started here. If it drives up the price a little, great. I just don't want to see Dempster on the mound tonight. It would be just far too Cub-like to watch him get hit in the arm with a liner.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:33 am

Roast wrote:
ctcf wrote:

Holy [expletive].

Hah, yeah, I'm still around. Sometimes. It's the rare slow day at work with not many of the boss-people here.

Probably because it's a road game.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Roast wrote:
ctcf wrote:

Holy [expletive].

Hah, yeah, I'm still around. Sometimes. It's the rare slow day at work with not many of the boss-people here.

Don't work there anymore.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Roast wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
Roast wrote:
ctcf wrote:

Holy [expletive].

Don't work there anymore.

WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T YOU TOLD US?!
formerly known as PriorPower

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Roast wrote:
ctcf wrote:

Holy [expletive].

How much did that Reyes HR hurt you?
Dare to dream....

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Roast wrote:
ctcf wrote:

Holy [expletive].

How much did that Reyes HR hurt you?
Hah! I was watching that at home. That was pretty hilarious.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:42 am

Post Count Padder wrote:WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T YOU TOLD US?!

Lots.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm

It's no surprise that Theo's playing hardball like he is. He actually may be more valuable than we think. Aside from Demp, the SP market consists of Hamels, Greinke, and Garza who are the 3 top options, but will require a team to take a second mortgage on their farm system. On the other side, there's a few cheaper options like Liriano or Wandy for teams looking to make an upgrade toward the middle of the rotation. Dempster stands alone as a front end starter who will cost something of value, but not nearly as costly as one of the top 3 guys.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:21 pm

It is pretty awesome that basically none of the beat guys, national, or even the Cubs guys, are saying the same things. Airtight front office.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:25 pm

davell wrote:It is pretty awesome that basically none of the beat guys, national, or even the Cubs guys, are saying the same things. Airtight front office.

If anything, I think we're running a misinformation campaign. It looks to me like the Cubs are trying to pressure a team or two into overpaying. All of a sudden a bunch of other teams are interested, we're flying in emergency starters, etc.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm guessing there are enough offers on the table that even if Dempster goes out and gives up four runs in five innings, it's not like all those offers are going to suddenly get pulled. If he strains his oblique, different story. So I'm not super worried about a bad outing, but I am worried about an injury. Not sure that's a huge concern, though.

You're putting a guy up for bid, and somewhat silent bid. If somebody else might still bid higher, wait. If the current top bidder isn't sure his bid is going to win, perhaps by waiting he'll raise that bid. So if a team has made a bid but it's not compelling, it certainly makes sense to give the opportunity to raise it.

But at some point the auctioneer has to decide he's waited as long as he wants to wait and is going to call in the highest bid. I hope that's today. But if Hoyer thinks a bid might improve significantly enough that it's worth the small risk that Dempster gets hurt tonight, that's his call and I'll assume they know what they're doing.

But I do kinda feel like this has been going on long enough. Shouldn't they have had opportunity to submit their best offers? Shouldn't Theo/Hoyer/McLeod have had opportunity to evaluate those? Shouldn't they have had plenty of time to call the other guys back andn give them the opportunity to improve their offers? I kind of hope they make a decision and get it done.

BeerHere
All-Star

Postby BeerHere » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

craig wrote:I'm guessing there are enough offers on the table that even if Dempster goes out and gives up four runs in five innings, it's not like all those offers are going to suddenly get pulled. If he strains his oblique, different story. So I'm not super worried about a bad outing, but I am worried about an injury. Not sure that's a huge concern, though.

You're putting a guy up for bid, and somewhat silent bid. If somebody else might still bid higher, wait. If the current top bidder isn't sure his bid is going to win, perhaps by waiting he'll raise that bid. So if a team has made a bid but it's not compelling, it certainly makes sense to give the opportunity to raise it.

But at some point the auctioneer has to decide he's waited as long as he wants to wait and is going to call in the highest bid. I hope that's today. But if Hoyer thinks a bid might improve significantly enough that it's worth the small risk that Dempster gets hurt tonight, that's his call and I'll assume they know what they're doing.

But I do kinda feel like this has been going on long enough. Shouldn't they have had opportunity to submit their best offers? Shouldn't Theo/Hoyer/McLeod have had opportunity to evaluate those? Shouldn't they have had plenty of time to call the other guys back andn give them the opportunity to improve their offers? I kind of hope they make a decision and get it done.

What's the rush?

Return to “Transactions”