Random Rants

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Re: Random Rants

Postby weis21 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:17 pm

David wrote:
weis21 wrote:So I closed on my townhouse (alone) on May 29th. So far the AC has broken, the water heater had to be replaced and now there is a leak SOMEWHERE in my bathroom downstairs. They have jackhammered a 2 x 2 foot hole in my floor and now they think it's in the wall. So, basically they are just aimlessly, slowly destructing my downstairs in hopes of finding the leak. I mean I guess I don't know what else they can do, but it really kind of sucks.

Also, divorce sucks. Nothing quite says "catch" like a soon-to-be twice divorced 33-year-old.

Basically I'm totally and completely trying to focus on my happy, healthy, beautiful 3 week old boy. But even then I miss him terribly when he's not around.

Damn. 3 week old and mid-divorce? That's rough. Sorry to hear.

That said, like you said, at least you have him.

Thanks. We are on pretty good terms, all things considered. Nothing to do but keep moving on.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 am

FWIW, you may want to ask your neighbors whether the previous owners were aware of any of the issues with your townhouse. If you can prove that they didn't disclose defects that they were aware of, you may be able to go after them for the costs of repairs. Likewise, it may not be a bad idea to call some of the local plumbers and HVAC contractors to see if any of them remembers being called out to your place before you closed.

You probably wont get much from your home inspector (most of them have disclaimers for days on their reports), but you can always mention the issues you're having and see if he/she wont cut you a small check to help alleviate any guilt they may be feeling.

Sorry for everything you're going through.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:40 pm

My neices and their vocal fry. I cannot stand listening to them for more than 3 minutes.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Can UI please fire John Groce? Players should be drooling for a chance at starter minutes in a conference with the 2nd most national exposure and yet following Xavier Simpson's decision to go to Michigan Groce has now missed on 8-10PGs in the last 2-3 years. He really needs to step down before even the mid majors wont touch him.

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31 am

CONSTRUCTION!!!

Not only has every [expletive] road on earth been under construction for the past 6 months, it's somehow gotten worse the past few weeks. Damn kids going back to school hasn't helped. The northwest side is a minefield right now. It's great to have the budget to get these things done and they'll all be great when done, but [expletive] it is brutal right now.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:08 am

Tryptamine wrote:Can UI please fire John Groce? Players should be drooling for a chance at starter minutes in a conference with the 2nd most national exposure and yet following Xavier Simpson's decision to go to Michigan Groce has now missed on 8-10PGs in the last 2-3 years. He really needs to step down before even the mid majors wont touch him.

lol
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:53 am

I hate it when people use the term 'bigwig' to refer to an executive.
BTFU!

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:59 am

Smack wrote:I hate it when people use the term 'bigwig' to refer to an executive.

I prefer "Wall Street Fat Cat"

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:26 am

Derwood wrote:
Smack wrote:I hate it when people use the term 'bigwig' to refer to an executive.

I prefer "Wall Street Fat Cat"

I would be ok referring to them as fat cats.
BTFU!

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:37 pm

So I have a ticket to see Grimes in NOLA Monday. I opted to sell the ticket for $20 because I'm quite literally broke right now and I wouldn't have money for gas or food to get there and back. I made a status update about it on Facebook and one of my friends in Nashville said he had a friend in NOLA who wanted to go. He said he'd Venmo me the money for the ticket (it's like PayPal in case you don't know what that is) and he sent me $50 and said "Been there, man. Go to the show and get a hot dog or something and have fun"

It was a very nice gesture and I thanked him. Then I tried to transfer the money from Venmo to my bank account, but it wouldn't transfer until Tuesday, so it wouldn't do me any good for the show. So I said thanks and sent him the money back because of that. Bad luck on my part.

So I put the message back up (I deleted it before I found out I couldn't get money on Venmo) and my buddy in LA who saw Grimes the other week and also had done work in Louisiana said "I got a guy interested. Do you have PayPal or Venmo?" I said both and he PayPal'd me $160 and said "Go to the show and have some drinks on me, consider it an early birthday gift". I have a PayPal debit card so I can actually use that and I thank him as well and am at a loss for words at how kind two of my best friends are. It was really awesome.

Then I got a letter in the mail today form the City of New Orleans informing me that a month ago I ran a red light and they got it on camera and they sent me a ticket for $135. I totally ran it. It was rush hour and it turned red right as I approached the line, and it was right before my exit and I was like "I'm not waitin for this [expletive]", so I'm guilty...

But I mean come on. Really? Now? At least the universe gave me good friends.
Last edited by The Logan on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:39 pm

You solicit donations to fund your road trips? And it works?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:You solicit donations to fund your road trips? And it works?

I was trying to sell my ticket. I didn't ask for a hand out. I just said "Can't go cause I'm broke. Selling my ticket for $20" more or less and my friends just gave me money so I could go. Neither of them even live here, hell I put the message up at 3:45AM and I was hoping to sell it to one of my local friends who knew someone who wanted to go or something the next day. They both tried to help me out before the clock hit 4:30AM
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:58 am

i was sure that story was building to some wire transfer scam

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 pm

The NOLA stoplight cameras are on ballot after ballot here to be removed, but so far no. There is almost no recourse against them since traffic court is a bogged down [expletive] show. Traffic signs are often either missing or behind trees, so if you suddenly have to slow from 40 to 20 mph you might not notice. I've gotten 3 in the last year.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:42 pm

So having to tell your kids that their new baby cousin has just died is exactly as awful as it sounds

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Derwood wrote:So having to tell your kids that their new baby cousin has just died is exactly as awful as it sounds

oh god that sucks.

sorry to hear.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Welp, I was just going to complain about how [expletive] getting window treatments is, but can't really do that now. THANKS, DERWOOD.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:43 pm

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Imagine how dull a book about Space invaders would be:

"The Aliens, in their custom four by 12 formation flew to the right of the screen as though they were marching, all the while pelting Steve's three meager barricades with their photo plasma blasts. Steve returned fire which was difficult because of the perpetually moving targets. The aliens, having reached the furthest extent of the right flank descended toward Steve's position. Their relentless barrage further withering the last vestiges of Steve's defenses."

Somebody bought my 7 year old a bunch of story books based on Minecraft. The stories are Steve doing the things that people do when they're playing Minecraft. The print is like a 6 font and it's chock full of jargon from the game such as Griefers and Ghasts. I wish I could adequately convey how awful they are and how much I dread reading them to him.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:37 pm

biittner77 wrote:Imagine how dull a book about Space invaders would be:

"The Aliens, in their custom four by 12 formation flew to the right of the screen as though they were marching, all the while pelting Steve's three meager barricades with their photo plasma blasts. Steve returned fire which was difficult because of the perpetually moving targets. The aliens, having reached the furthest extent of the right flank descended toward Steve's position. Their relentless barrage further withering the last vestiges of Steve's defenses."

Somebody bought my 7 year old a bunch of story books based on Minecraft. The stories are Steve doing the things that people do when they're playing Minecraft. The print is like a 6 font and it's chock full of jargon from the game such as Griefers and Ghasts. I wish I could adequately convey how awful they are and how much I dread reading them to him.

Is it this series?

https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... KNBAAAQBAJ

My son has several of them and quite likes them. Fortunately, he reads them on his own.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:36 am

Banedon wrote:

Is it this series?

https://play.google.com/store/books/det ... KNBAAAQBAJ

My son has several of them and quite likes them. Fortunately, he reads them on his own.

That's the one. I guess they make sense if you've actually played the game and you're 12.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:07 pm

RIP UofI basketball program. Amazing that just ten years ago they were in the national championship game and now fresh off a loss to a mighty Chattanooga they'll be lucky to sniff .500 and will undoubtedly miss the tournament for a third straight year.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Oh my god, my daughter loves minecraft content. It's ridiculous. She watches people playing minecraft, she listens to minecraft songs, she checks out books about it from the library... and I haven't seen her play it for at least a month
We are doomed.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:21 pm

My daughter is about 50/50 on playing cards watching videos about Minecraft

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Having a grandparent whose mind is completely gone... unable to make a coherent sentence,,, (oh, and he can't stand up or walk because of MS)
It [expletive] sucks, and it's killing my grandmother. She's openly wishing that he dies soon.

Best Christmas ever

edit: he's so bad, no one wants to save his life. His psychiatrist is talking about hospice. He's off his cancer drugs, which will cause a stroke sooner or later.
We are doomed.

Return to “Rants”