2%
YEEEEESSSSSS ffs
26%

Total votes: 95

David
Hall of Fame

Re: Jason Heyward to CUBS!!!

Postby David » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:30 pm

I think the best part of this is that 2015 is the coolest year any of us have ever experienced and it's only the beginning and we've significantly improved it in the offseason. like i wouldn't be all that shocked if the next 4 years overshadow all other seasons we've seen prior to 2015.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 pm

'98 was a really special year for me as a baseball fan. I don't think I would love the game nearly as much if that year didn't happen. I was 14 and, before then, baseball was probably my third favorite sport. I truly fell in love with the Cubs, and baseball, in general, during that summer. That year will always have a soft spot in my heart.

A lot of it was because of Sammy. That drew me in. But, it was so much more than that. If I didn't have that year during my adolescence to draw me in, I don't know if I ever would have become as rabid a baseball fan as I am now. I watched and played the sport when I was a child, and enjoyed it. But, I really loved basketball and idolized Michael Jordan. Baseball probably would have always played second fiddle for me, if not for Sammy and Kerry in '98.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:28 pm

David wrote:I think the best part of this is that 2015 is the coolest year any of us have ever experienced and it's only the beginning and we've significantly improved it in the offseason. like i wouldn't be all that shocked if the next 4 years overshadow all other seasons we've seen prior to 2015.

I'd go with '84, but a lot of that ties into that being my senior year.
Spoiler: show

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: RE: Re: Jason Heyward to CUBS!!!

Postby Andy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:48 pm

David wrote:I think the best part of this is that 2015 is the coolest year any of us have ever experienced and it's only the beginning and we've significantly improved it in the offseason. like i wouldn't be all that shocked if the next 4 years overshadow all other seasons we've seen prior to 2015.

I would be. It's pretty hard to do that 4 times in a row no matter how good you are on paper.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Andy wrote:

I would be. It's pretty hard to do that 4 times in a row no matter how good you are on paper.

Just wait

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 pm

They don't have to win 97 games every year to be better than the 2015 team

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:15 pm

Tim wrote:I'd go with '84, but a lot of that ties into that being my senior year.

This.

Thirty-nine years with NO playoff appearances. The team was fun, the lineup was full of bats, Sutcliffe was the real deal and the rest of the pitching staff was pretty good. I'll never forget watching the news later in the day after game 2 and seeing an brief interview with a Padres fan at Wrigley. She said, "we're gonna go back to San Diego and win the next three!" I remember thinking that there was no way that could happen. I was in a funk for a very long time after game 5. But that team was an absolute joy to watch ALL SEASON LONG!!!!

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:25 pm

PackLandVA wrote:
Tim wrote:I'd go with '84, but a lot of that ties into that being my senior year.

This.

Thirty-nine years with NO playoff appearances. The team was fun, the lineup was full of bats, Sutcliffe was the real deal and the rest of the pitching staff was pretty good. I'll never forget watching the news later in the day after game 2 and seeing an brief interview with a Padres fan at Wrigley. She said, "we're gonna go back to San Diego and win the next three!" I remember thinking that there was no way that could happen. I was in a funk for a very long time after game 5. But that team was an absolute joy to watch ALL SEASON LONG!!!!

The Bears, Bulls and Cubs REALLY gave me an unrealistic expectation of success in the mid and late 80's. That's when, as kid, I became a fan of all 3 teams, and between the '84 Cubs, the SB Bears and the general existence of Michael Jordan, I just figured I was becoming a fan of unstoppable powerhouses.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Derwood wrote:They don't have to win 97 games every year to be better than the 2015 team

They have to be better than the 08 team, not 2015 team.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:49 pm

what a moronic hit, jesus

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:52 pm

What a meltdown.

MSG T
All-Star

Postby MSG T » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 am

Tim wrote:

Yeah, it was my junior year. I remember coming home from baseball practice and being shocked the Cubs acquired Sutcliffe and being confused why they'd give up Hall AND Carter. A month later I wondered how they got him for ONLY Hall and Carter.
bhogg wrote:2004 team was just hard to watch by the end of the year. I grew to greatly dislike them.

My favorite teams:

1. 1989- first trip to Wrigley in August of 89. That team was expected to do nothing and was fun all year long. One of the last years when Harry was Harry
2. 2015- really enjoyed this past year with my son.
3. 2008- first cubs team in my older years that I expected to win every single day.
4. 2003- I bought in. I've never forgiven Alou for being a douchnozzle in game 6
5. 1984- My earliest Cub memories are from this team. I was 7 years old and watched almost every game with my Mom. Great memories.
6. 2007- fkn Lou!
7. 1998- Sandberg was my favorite player and when he retired in 1996, I really didn't pay much attention the next year. . . but then, Sammy!
8. 1995- team that hung onto slim play off hopes
9. 2001- surprising team -- lots of likeable characters -- Sammy was incredible.
10. 1985 - this team was supposed to be the team to break the curse. I think at one time they were 20 somthing games over .500 and cruising. Then every starting pitcher found themselves on the DL. a ridiculous losing streak and freakish injuries buried them and ownership / management panicked. . . . .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bhogg
Game Thread Pimp

Postby bhogg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:42 pm

we really dodged a bullet by trading Hall. . . .what with the chronic statuary rape, etc. Quite possibly the worst human being to ever play the game.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:28 pm

bhogg wrote:we really dodged a bullet by trading Hall. . . .what with the chronic statuary rape, etc. Quite possibly the worst human being to ever play the game.

I was already reading Bill James and was happy to get Ron Hassey as part of the deal...then we hardly ever played him.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 pm

The Logan wrote:Bartman was no different than any other time in history a fan has reached for a foul ball. This was just in a pressure situation so it's exacerbated to the nth degree. He did the same thing any of us would've done, but it was him and not us so he's the "bad guy". If Alou hadn't reacted the way he did, it wouldn't be a thing. It'd just be another foul ball in the stands that a player was unable to get to. Moving on.

Now, Alex Gonzalez? That was a thing. That was a very much a thing. THAT killed that game, not a stupid fan reaching for a foul ball like all the others around him.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of the actual foul ball. When I refer to the "Bartman incident", I'm referring to that foul ball and then everything that unfolded after that. I don't know about you guys, but as soon as the foul ball happened, I KNEW everything was about to go wrong. I could just feel it in my gut. Then when Gonzalez botched that grounder, it was like, "oh, here we go".

Yeah, everyone reaches for foul balls, and that aspect in and of itself isn't a big deal. What makes it a big deal is that it was a clearly defined turning point. Everything before that point was a perfect fairy tale. Then the Bartman play happened, and everything all came tumbling down at once. It was absolutely spooky. I'm not going to start talking about a curse, but that was some seriously weird [expletive]. I felt like I had just seen a ghost.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:04 pm

STOP WASTING YOUR YOUTH.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Tim wrote:

Ditto - except for the senior year thing.

83 was the first year I really watched the Cubs - I must have watched a few in 82 because I have a vague recollection of All Time Great Junior Kennedy and I don't think he was around in 83.
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:03 pm

'98 was the year i became a cubs fan so i love that team.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:37 pm

I gotta side with Derwood on this one. I have no [expletive] clue what any of that is telling me.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Cards fan sends @Cubs shot of a guy giving the finger over the Heyward signing. Adam Wainwright liked it.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

bhogg
Game Thread Pimp

Postby bhogg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Wainwright --- follower of Jesus and total douchenozzle

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:52 pm

They're totally gonna throw at us, likely Heyward, in the first series of the year and I hope we take the high road again and don't retaliate other than winning the games against them and Joe ripping them post-game again.
Screw Pitchers

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:17 am

1984 was an amazing year. My best friend's grandfather had season tickets behind 3rd base in St. Louis and we got to take in an entire weekend series in St. Louis that year with my best friend and our two girlfriends at the time, including a double header after one of the games got rained out. I was just back from my year and a half stay in Florida and we stayed at a Drury Inn somewhere close to the stadium. Amazing time! Had to look up the dates, but it was September 21-23.

Friday the Cubs got shut out. Saturday we waited in the room while it rained and rained and rained. We finally learned the game was postponed, and luckily it turned into a double header on Sunday. We then watched the Cubs take both games on Sunday, with Sarge taking Walkin' Underwear deep in game two. It was awesome. Probably not as big a deal for many of you that live in Chicago and get to take in so many games being so close, but definitely among my favorite memories.

Stu
Role Player

Postby Stu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 am

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
The Logan wrote:Bartman was no different than any other time in history a fan has reached for a foul ball. This was just in a pressure situation so it's exacerbated to the nth degree. He did the same thing any of us would've done, but it was him and not us so he's the "bad guy". If Alou hadn't reacted the way he did, it wouldn't be a thing. It'd just be another foul ball in the stands that a player was unable to get to. Moving on.

Now, Alex Gonzalez? That was a thing. That was a very much a thing. THAT killed that game, not a stupid fan reaching for a foul ball like all the others around him.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of the actual foul ball. When I refer to the "Bartman incident", I'm referring to that foul ball and then everything that unfolded after that. I don't know about you guys, but as soon as the foul ball happened, I KNEW everything was about to go wrong. I could just feel it in my gut. Then when Gonzalez botched that grounder, it was like, "oh, here we go".

Yeah, everyone reaches for foul balls, and that aspect in and of itself isn't a big deal. What makes it a big deal is that it was a clearly defined turning point. Everything before that point was a perfect fairy tale. Then the Bartman play happened, and everything all came tumbling down at once. It was absolutely spooky. I'm not going to start talking about a curse, but that was some seriously weird [expletive]. I felt like I had just seen a ghost.

True story, when that happened, I was reading to my then 4 year old daughter. I was watching the game, sitting on a rocker with her in my lap. I saw the Bartman play then looked down at the book to continue the story and guess what was on the page in front of me? A goat. Seriously.

Return to “Transactions”