The Rams don't like St Louis

Banedon
Curse You!

The Rams don't like St Louis

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:28 pm

http://deadspin.com/in-application-to-m ... 1751320853

St. Louis lags, and will continue to lag, far behind in the economic drivers that are necessary for sustained success of an NFL franchise.

[...]

Compared to all other U.S. cities, St. Louis is struggling. One recent study reports that St. Louis ranks 490 out of 515 U.S. cities and 61st among the 64 largest U.S. cities in economic growth in recent years. That same study reported that St. Louis had the lowest rate of population growth of any major U.S. city from 2008 to 2014 – registering a loss of 1.74 percent of its citizens while most cities registered gains. Thus, the City of St. Louis ranks near the bottom of all U.S. cities of any size in terms of economic and population growth.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Re: The Rams don't like St Louis

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Rams are moving to LA. Chargers have option to join.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:09 pm

Stan Kroenke is officially the worst human being in professional sports ownership. What an enormous piece of excrement.

Well, Loria may be worse, but at least is pretty up front with his douchiness.
I like beer.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:10 pm

mul21 wrote:Stan Kroenke is officially the worst human being in professional sports ownership. What an enormous piece of excrement.

He has miles to go before he reaches Jeff Loria

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm

He just got a bunch of people out of St. Louis; how bad can he be?

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 pm

St. Louis is better off for it..
ImageImage

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:20 pm

I'd say haha stupid Cardinals fans lost their football team but from what I understand, no one gave a [expletive] about them anyways
Dare to dream....

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:St. Louis is better off for it..

How is St Louis better off for an NFL team leaving the city?

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:40 am

Banedon wrote:

One step closer to just burning it all down and starting over.
Spoiler: show

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:08 am

Banedon wrote:

Rams staying in the Jones Dome would be good, but not building another stadium with public money. They'll survive the 8 games a year they lose, and can market the Jones Dome for other events. And if they still want to develop the land, they can do so on something that attracts people more than 8 days a year.
ImageImage

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:22 am

All the Rams fans saying the fix has been on for 20 years. Of course it couldn't be because they're awful fans.

I was middle school age when the Rams were winning and going to Super Bowls and making deep playoff runs. I grew up in the St Louis area and then went to college at Mizzou. With all those people I met along the way my age who grew up with a winning Rams team I know literally one person who I know is crushed by this.

LA was getting 2 teams either way. The Rams are the worst fan base in the worst stadium with the least amount of interest. It's good they were one of the cities that lost a team.

Also, Jackson County (KC) MO builds their own stadiums. St Louis always tries to get the state to pay for their stadiums. There is no way a ballot initiative would have passed statewide to fund a stadium for the Rams.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:22 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Rams staying in the Jones Dome would be good, but not building another stadium with public money. They'll survive the 8 games a year they lose, and can market the Jones Dome for other events. And if they still want to develop the land, they can do so on something that attracts people more than 8 days a year.

Fair enough, but I don't think that really shows how they're better off. Just that they're not significantly worse off.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:31 am

Sammy's Boombox wrote:All the Rams fans saying the fix has been on for 20 years. Of course it couldn't be because they're awful fans.

I was middle school age when the Rams were winning and going to Super Bowls and making deep playoff runs. I grew up in the St Louis area and then went to college at Mizzou. With all those people I met along the way my age who grew up with a winning Rams team I know literally one person who I know is crushed by this.

LA was getting 2 teams either way. The Rams are the worst fan base in the worst stadium with the least amount of interest. It's good they were one of the cities that lost a team.

Also, Jackson County (KC) MO builds their own stadiums. St Louis always tries to get the state to pay for their stadiums. There is no way a ballot initiative would have passed statewide to fund a stadium for the Rams.

Yeah I attended school in St Louis and the Rams are such an after thought. They support the Cards and Blues well and when you look at similar sized cities, they are all pretty much two sport towns.
ImageImage

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:46 am

They should go chase a soccer team though. St Louis is a big soccer market and they could definitely support that.
ImageImage

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:41 am

One of the owners to vote against this was Mike Brown...

Brown has a well-documented reputation for refusing to go along with anything that helps the league become bigger and better. His primary concern in those situations is the impact of the new revenue on the salary cap.

So Brown prefers the status quo, especially when the status quo doesn’t require him to spend more money on players.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Banedon wrote:One of the owners to vote against this was Mike Brown...

Brown has a well-documented reputation for refusing to go along with anything that helps the league become bigger and better. His primary concern in those situations is the impact of the new revenue on the salary cap.

So Brown prefers the status quo, especially when the status quo doesn’t require him to spend more money on players.

Wait you're telling me this passed 30-2 and the two no votes weren't from the Chargers and Raiders?
ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:25 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Wait you're telling me this passed 30-2 and the two no votes weren't from the Chargers and Raiders?

Chargers have a chance to go as well, so it probably behooved them to play ball on this vote, knowing they were not the first option.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:46 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Chargers have a chance to go as well, so it probably behooved them to play ball on this vote, knowing they were not the first option.

I'm not so sure this works well for the Chargers to move now. The way this went down probably makes it more appealing for them to work something out in San Diego. And I think it has to do with Kroenke basically building and owning the sports complex in Inglewood that would make the Chargers just renters while also being the smaller market sharing the LA fan base. Spanos started lobbying to move to LA when the Clippers sold for $2b.

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm

I guess Lawrence Phillips was taking the news pretty hard.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:13 pm

it's so weird for a city as big as LA to have no nfl team for all tehse years and then suddenly have two with very little existing loyalties

like all of it is weird

and most of the people who were already LA rams fans are pretty old now and outside the target demo. the younger ones would be in their early to mid 40's. that's if they retain any loyalty after 2 decades.

i'm not saying people won't go to games...and i'm sure some chargers fans (if that's what ends up happening) will stay "loyal," for lack of a better term, and most, i'm guessing, won't. it's just a kind of weird set of circumstances.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:23 pm

My brother lives in LA. He used to complain that when LA had 2 teams he never got the 2nd game of the double header because either the Rams or the Raiders were home and neither consistently sold out. That was before satellites but it sort of speaks to why LA went from 2 to 0 teams, and why it took so long for enough people to care about bringing the NFL back.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:26 pm

LA is essentially a city filled with transplants. The Bear fans could sell out a Rams/Bears game as well as any Rams fan base could
Spoiler: show

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:40 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Raiders and Browns.

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Never saw Al Davis's kid before. Wow! Mark Davis looks as crazy as his old man with that strange haircut. How long before he calls the NFL's bluff and wants to put Las Vegas in play? Imagine Raider Nation in Sin City?
Why is the Chicagoland area never mentioned as a possible relocation site for an AFC team? Put a state-of-the-art stadium complex in DuPage County and it might be the push the Bears to compete.

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Never saw Al Davis's kid before. Wow! Mark Davis looks as crazy as his old man with that strange haircut. How long before he calls the NFL's bluff and wants to put Las Vegas in play? Imagine Raider Nation in Sin City?
Why is the Chicagoland area never mentioned as a possible relocation site for an AFC team? Put a state-of-the-art stadium complex in DuPage County and it might be the push the Bears to compete.

Return to “Other Sports”