The General TV Thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: The General TV Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:53 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:My theory is the vast amount of county governments (county commissioners, sheriff's offices, etc) are completely corrupt. You have a combination of lack of public oversight (everyone cares about their mayor, city councilors, but cannot name their county commissioners. Many sheriffs serve for decades and are primarily figureheads who appoint their friends,) and a little man syndrome (police departments/city govt have much larger budgets) and it all just leads to corruption.

Correct theory, especially in rural and poor areas. One of my counties had a per capita income of around $26,000, which made it one of the poorest counties in the country. In a place like that there is zero oversight because no one really gives a [expletive].

Which is why the notion that some have that state and local government is so much more fair and incorruptible than the big bad federal government makes little sense to me. There's so much less oversight on the local levels, and with a country this size people can basically end up with their own little fiefdoms.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Federal government employees aren't corrupt. It's almost impossible to be corrupt in that world. They are lazy, paranoid and incredibly stressed out. They log their lunch break up to really high levels.

You have Harvard law graduates logging their lunch breaks to the quarter hour.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:Federal government employees aren't corrupt. It's almost impossible to be corrupt in that world. They are lazy, paranoid and incredibly stressed out. They log their lunch break up to really high levels.

You have Harvard law graduates logging their lunch breaks to the quarter hour.

cool show
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:27 pm

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I'm trying to understand Bryan Cranston without a goatee and it just not working out.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:22 pm

CubInOK wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I'm trying to understand Bryan Cranston without a goatee and it just not working out.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 pm

CubInOK wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 pm

SECOND BUT BETTER > FIRST BUT LESSER

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:06 am

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 am

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:15 am

Any good podcasts that have discussed Making a Murderer?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:20 am

Investigation Discovery is rushing a Steven Avery doc, that promises to include things missing from the Netflix doc. At first glance, it's going to be more defensive of the police/prosecutors...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/inevitable-spin- ... 1751679652

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:59 am

Deadwood finally getting that HBO movie finale?

http://uproxx.com/tv/hbo-deadwood-movie-premiere/

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:My theory is the vast amount of county governments (county commissioners, sheriff's offices, etc) are completely corrupt. You have a combination of lack of public oversight (everyone cares about their mayor, city councilors, but cannot name their county commissioners. Many sheriffs serve for decades and are primarily figureheads who appoint their friends,) and a little man syndrome (police departments/city govt have much larger budgets) and it all just leads to corruption.

Correct theory, especially in rural and poor areas. One of my counties had a per capita income of around $26,000, which made it one of the poorest counties in the country. In a place like that there is zero oversight because no one really gives a [expletive].

The county I live in is not poor. But it is rural. It is also overwhelmingly a single party county. I know that there is a level of corruption here that kind of just how things are done. Jobs, construction bids, that sort of thing. An opposing political party or force also is a good way to help keep things less corrupt. When you have to face someone in an election that can question these sorts of things.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:34 am

This was making the rounds on Twitter yesterday

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ia=FB_Page

Also, the "leg irons" that were being talked about appear to be some novelty sex shop hand cuffs with pink fur on them, so there's that.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:28 am

So NBC has ordered a pilot set in the DC universe called Powerless. It's a comedy, and is being compared to the Office. It's based around regular people working at an insurance company in a world that has superheroes.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:30 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Deadwood finally getting that HBO movie finale?

The guy who played Richardson died this past year :-(

He was the subject of one of my favorite lines ever.

E.B.: "Could you been born, Richardson, and not egg-hatched as I've always assumed?"

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:38 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Deadwood finally getting that HBO movie finale?

Awesome, I'm just re-watching the series with my wife who had never seen it.
BTFU!

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 am

I've got to say, I've seen some fair rebuttals to a lot of the info against Steven Avery I posted and like mojo said, it just ends up being a never ending loop of info that leads you back to where you started (but with a migraine). There were people from Auto trader that testified that she wasn't creeped out by him and just made a passive joking "eww" comment to someone when she saw him in the towel. Then I hear that "sweat DNA" doesn't even exist (well, it does, but it can be from anything like saliva to skin cells) and that the guy who checked for it admitted to never even changing his gloves after searching the Avery household. But then again, I hear Brendan said he helped clean up the blood in the garage with bleach and that bleach was found all over his jeans that he turned in from that night.

I have no [expletive] clue.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:25 pm

RammyFanny wrote:I've got to say, I've seen some fair rebuttals to a lot of the info against Steven Avery I posted and like mojo said, it just ends up being a never ending loop of info that leads you back to where you started (but with a migraine). There were people from Auto trader that testified that she wasn't creeped out by him and just made a passive joking "eww" comment to someone when she saw him in the towel. Then I hear that "sweat DNA" doesn't even exist (well, it does, but it can be from anything like saliva to skin cells) and that the guy who checked for it admitted to never even changing his gloves after searching the Avery household. But then again, I hear Brendan said he helped clean up the blood in the garage with bleach and that bleach was found all over his jeans that he turned in from that night.

I have no [expletive] clue.

agreed. i don't have any [expletive] clue either. which is exactly why he needs another trial. and if the jury doesn't have any [expletive] clue this time, he shouldn't be in prison.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Four episodes into Making a Murderer and I hate everything involved in the case.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:06 pm

bukie wrote:Four episodes into Making a Murderer and I hate everything involved in the case.

it'll only get worse. or better?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 am

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:03 pm

This making a murderer has really turned into a fun pop or soda for everybody.

Return to “Social”